The Kim Dotcom thread * Update 2 Oct 2017 - SCOTUS ruling

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
I miss Megaupload.

His assets were held in banks operating in the U.S., correct? He made his money ripping off the work of people primarily from the U.S., correct?

If someone comes to my country and commits murder, should he not face U.S. law?
His assets in the U.S. should be seized but I have a problem with U.S imposing it's laws outside of their borders.

They keep trying here in Aus even when streaming isn't illegal here.

His assets in the U.S. should be seized but I have a problem with U.S imposing it's laws outside of their borders.

They keep trying here in Aus even when streaming isn't illegal here.
It isn't illegal to pirate video there?

Remember when everyone got upset about the American getting arrested in Dubai for social media posts he made in the U.S.

Imagine if UK police arrested Americans for hate speach because they don't have freedom of speach

It isn't illegal to pirate video there?
It's not illegal to stream but is illegal to download.
But there can't be any bullshit 50K made up fines by companies i think it only 2 times the amount of a copy of the material that can be asked for in court

Remember when everyone got upset about the American getting arrested in Dubai for social media posts he made in the U.S.

Imagine if UK police arrested Americans for hate speach because they don't have freedom of speach
That's a fair point, but I'm only talking about theft and asset forfeiture.

I also hold a distinction between laws and cultures(country to country). I'm not a, "Different culture, hard to judge." type of guy.

That's a fair point, but I'm only talking about theft and asset forfeiture.

I also hold a distinction between laws and cultures(country to country). I'm not a, "Different culture, hard to judge." type of guy.
I prefer the old days where police had to prove you came by assets illegally before being able to seize. Now we are guilty until we prove otherwise

He still profited greatly through theft. I know it's fancy because it was a hosting platform, blah blah. I still find this acceptable.

On the flip side, I oppose all civil asset forfeiture related to drug crimes. Any petty crimes, in fact.
it's not far off from others posting full fights on YT with some masking of original content

AFAIK, KTC didnt enforce DCMA takedowns, which ultimately led to his trouble.

I prefer the old days where police had to prove you came by assets illegally before being able to seize. Now we are guilty until we prove otherwise
I would agree to that as an across the board measure. It's definitely better to be careful in that area as a society.

it's not far off from others posting full fights on YT with some masking of original content

AFAIK, KTC didnt enforce DCMA takedowns, which ultimately led to his trouble.
He kept stuff up after being ordered to remove it, I assume?

I forget. didn't they raid his island or some shit?

Back