The Jordan Peterson Thread - V2 -

More from link above.

.....Fundamentalist atheismmarks a turning point in the history of the atheist movement because it seeks togo beyond actively rejecting belief in God.Fundamentalist atheism seeks to
eradicate religion and anoint atheism
as theonly respectable position on the question of religion for three reasons. First, theemerging crusade is built upon an intellectual failure to accurately examinereligious belief and a tunnel vision assessment that sees religion as the principalimpetus for violence in the world. Fundamentalist atheism stereotypes religion asinherently violent, and averse to critical debate, scientific development,tolerance, and social advancement. Secondly, having treated the most extreme,dogmatic, regressive, and fundamentalist forms of religion as the ideal and/or eventual manifestation of all religious belief, fundamentalist atheists developedthe apocalyptical belief that world peace cannot occur so long as religion, theroot of human evil in this view, is not first eradicated. Finally, fundamentalistatheists prescribe intellectual
intolerance
toward religious thought and belief.Indeed, some fundamentalist atheists have called for an actual war on Islam and,more specifically, an attack on Iran. These claims, however, are based on anarrow analysis of the variety of religious beliefs and history of religiousviolence.Despite the incredible diversity of religious thought, even within individualreligions, fundamentalist atheists have undertaken a kind of fallaciousintellectual carpet-bombing of religion. Ignoring or dismissing countercurrents,they base their definition of religion on the behavior and beliefs of a limitednumber of believers who fit their stereotype-ridden model. As if trapped in a timewarp, they actively stereotype modern religious belief as if it had undergone nochange over the last 200 years. One objection fundamentalist atheists have toreligion is what they view as its eclipse of critical reasoning, which they blamefor causing so much global strife and retarding social and scientific progress.This general attitude has allowed fundamentalist atheists to comfortably assaultreligion with broad, inexact critiques which are dismissive of the diversity foundin various religious traditions. Not long after becoming chair of Brooklyn College’s Department of Sociology, Dr. Timothy Shortell fueled the ire of religionists when he unleasheda barrage of ugly stereotypes in his online article entitled “Religion and Morality:A Contradiction Explained.” The Christian news service Agape Press examinedthe article and reported that the atheist professor had therein described religious people as “moral retards” and said, “Christians claim theirs is a faith based onlove, but they’ll just as soon kill you” (Brown 2005). Indeed, the piece was atirade of irrational generalizations brimming with fodder for religiousfundamentalists. One quote in particular stands out:
HUMANI

TY & SOCIETY

4-be71f4eedf.png

4-be71f4eedf.png

4-be71f4eedf.png
4-be71f4eedf.png
4-be71f4eedf.png

On a personal level, religiosity is merely annoying—like badtaste. This immaturity represents a significant social problem,however, because religious adherents fail to recognize their limitations. So, in the name of their faith, these moral retardsare running around pointing fingers and doing real harm toothers. One only has to read the newspaper to see the results of their handiwork. They discriminate, exclude and belittle. Theymake a virtue of closed-mindedness and virulent ignorance.They are an ugly, violent lot (Shortell 2005).Shortell’s stigmatization of all religion makes no attempt to differentiatechurches such as the United Church of Christ, which has made very publicefforts to open its doors to the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community,or other Christian groups that have disavowed intolerance and hatred. He alsoignores a long list of model examples of civil rights and peace and justiceactivists including the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and former UnitedStates President Jimmy Carter, to name only two. What makes Shortell’scomments so problematic is the generality of the language he uses. A morecredible condemnation would have specified a particular religious group that fithis characterization. For instance, few would argue the validity of applyingShortell’s characterization to someone like Pat Robertson, who once called for the assassination of Hugo Chavez, or to the now deceased Jerry Falwell, whofamously blamed gays and feminists for the September 11 attack. Instead,Shortell offers a broad, inexact condemnation of

From a atheists perspective .

http://www.academia.edu/191087/Fundamentalist_Atheism_and_its_Intellectual_Failures

Ironically, while atheist fundamentalists revere the Enlightenment legacy of love of reason and critical thought, they have forsakenthe Enlightenment’s call to disdain blind-prejudice and fanaticism.
n recent years, a new breed of atheism has emerged which seeks to obliteratereligion. It differs, however, from more mainstream atheism....
This kind of atheism can be described asfundamentalist atheism.Fundamentalist atheism is crystallized in the best-selling works of biologistRichard Dawkins (
The God Delusion
2006), writer Christopher Hitchens (
God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
2007), and philosopher Sam Harris(
The End of Faith
2004). In this paper I document fundamentalist atheism’ssalient characteristics, specifically its tendency to narrowly define and stereotypereligion to bolster its claim that religion is civilization’s greatest threat.Furthermore, I argue that, because its apocalyptical view of religion is based onfaulty reasoning, fundamentalist atheism, although a response to fundamentalistreligion, constitutes a dangerous intellectual failure within the ranks of atheism.Indeed, fundamentalist atheism results in an illogical fanaticism that pits itself against pluralism and tolerance.
But this is not representative of all atheists. Not every atheist is a new atheist or fundamental atheist. Are you arguing that all atheism is new atheism or fundamentalist atheism?

But this is not representative of all atheists. Not every atheist is a new atheist or fundamental atheist. Are you arguing that all atheism is new atheism or fundamentalist atheism?

Not even close. That's the point of the author who is a atheist himself. I have a lot of friends that are atheists who are thoughtful and reflective in their dialog. They read books by scientists that are no longer atheists based on science alone and understand that rather than being dismissive and condescending without addressing the reasons involved.

Not even close. That's the point of the author who is a atheist himself. I have a lot of friends that are atheists who are thoughtful and reflective in their dialog. They read books by scientists that are no longer atheists based on science alone and understand that rather than being dismissive and condescending without addressing the reasons involved.
Fair enough.

You seem to be classifying assholes as atheists based on a couple of people calling certain assholes, who happen to be atheists, what they are.

Atheism does not carry anything more with it than a non belief in a deity. That's it.

Just like you'd be an a-astrologist. There's no fundamental a-astrology, there's no reformed a-astrology, there's just a lack of belief in astrology.

Whether some people who happen to not belief in a deity also happen to be condescending assholes, does in no way redefine what atheism is.

No amount of mental gymnastics or walls of text is gonna tie atheism to anything but a lack of belief in god.

You seem to be classifying assholes as atheists based on a couple of people calling certain assholes, who happen to be atheists, what they are.

Atheism does not carry anything more with it than a non belief in a deity. That's it.

Just like you'd be an a-astrologist. There's no fundamental a-astrology, there's no reformed a-astrology, there's just a lack of belief in astrology.

Whether some people who happen to not belief in a deity also happen to be condescending assholes, does in no way redefine what atheism is.

No amount of mental gymnastics or walls of text is gonna tie atheism to anything but a lack of belief in god.

Not really. I'm making a clear distinction actually as is the author quoted who is himself a atheist.

I wouldn't define my atheism as an unbelief in God. My atheism is positive, it is a belief that there is no orthodoxly conceived monotheistic God.

Weak atheism: I do not believe that P is the case.
Strong/positive atheism: I believe that it is not the case that P.

The difference is in the scope of the negation.

TORONTO – Controversial U of T psychology professor Jordan Peterson once again ignited a public furor last night, refusing to refer to a popular Stephen King-based horror film by the gender-neutral pronoun “IT”, on the grounds that the titular character, Pennywise the clown, is obviously a “HIM.”

According to eyewitnesses, Peterson spent 12 minutes holding up the box office line at Toronto’s Varsity Cinema while he repeatedly requested VIP room tickets for “HIM”, to the confusion of numerous employees.

“I was called over to the box office because this guy wouldn’t stop going like, ‘I’m here for HIM, I want to see HIM,’” recalled assistant manager Toby Duncan. “When I eventually clued in and asked if he meant ‘IT’, he said he most certainly did NOT mean ‘IT’ and called me a radical postmodernist ideologue trying to punish him for not using the clown’s ‘compelled pronoun.’ “

Having gained international attention last year for his outspoken refusal to call students and faculty by gender-neutral pronouns, Peterson made it clear that Pennywise – a demonic embodiment of children’s fears – would also receive no quarter.

“The objective biological reality is, Pennywise is a male monster, who is mostly a clown and sometimes a bug, but always a boy,” he explained to fellow moviegoers in the lobby. “I cannot be coerced into respecting his place in this ever-expanding community of the marginalized by calling the film ‘IT’. I will not use that clown-bug’s words.”

“And if I’m taken to jail for that, which I can only assume I’m about to be, then so be it,” he boldly declared, though by all accounts he was free to go.

In response to the persecution he’s faced at the hands of the movie theatre, Peterson has launched a crowdfunding campaign with a goal of $15,000, in order to buy a copy of the film when it comes out on Blu-ray.
<Lmaoo>

Haha. It was great satire. I had never heard of The Beaverton before - apparently it's like a Canadian version of The Onion.

I haven't read this thread in a while. But earlier almost nobody seemed to know what postmodernism actually is, which isn't surprising since Jordan Peterson doesn't even know or care what it is.

He was a middle of the road psych professor who gained fame for lying about trans people. JP now makes over $50,000 a month exploiting resentment on Patreon. Taking donations from people scared over the ubiquitous postmodern cultural Marxist SJW boogeyman he talks about. It's just confirming current bigotries by someone with a facade of respectability because he's a professor in an unrelated field.

With his "postmodernism" talks he's basically a YouTube pseudo-intellectual giving a Breitbart level explanation, who is considered about the lowest hanging fruit there is to make fun of in actual philosophy circles.

He's not accurate or honest about the goals, arguments or context of any postmodernist he mentions. They're also in contention with each other. Many people have made an equally influential analysis on postmodernism that have nothing to do with each other. The nightmare scenario he likes to portray, "postmodernists think all truths are equally valid!" Is just nonsense. Postmodernism is a term sometimes used to classify a changing cultural and intellectual landscape. It's not some school of thought to assault pronouns or whatever.

How is Peterson lying about trans people?

your post #405 made me think of the movie: Exit Through the Gift Shop. Then I saw this post where you described yourself as a "movie nerd". I was curious if you had seen that film and what you thought about it. I found it thought provoking especially since I have no background in art or philosophy (my background is in medicine however I think I took a Philosophy 101 course back in the 90s.....).

I haven't seen Exit Through the Gift Shop. For me, documentaries are to film what textbooks are to literature: If I don't care about the subject, then I'm not wasting my time with it. And I don't care about Banksy or that type of "art," so I don't ever plan on watching Exit Through the Gift Shop. If anything, it'd probably just make me more contemptuous of contemporary art and its criticism :mad:

This was a lot funnier than I'd anticipated.

Back