The Eminem Curse!

This is a culmination of my work with the UFC Entrance Music and Fight Result database that I have put together. I released a version of the Eminem Curse in 2012, but gathered a lot more data since then.

To those of you unfamiliar, for years, there has been speculation that UFC fighters walkout out to an Eminem song have lost. I wanted to put that curse to the test.

There have been 108 recorded walkouts using Eminem songs so far, and this is the spreadsheet holding it all.

Currently, the Eminem Curse stands at 50-57-1, with fighters using Eminem songs winning 46.3% of their fights.

There has been one fight where two fighters used an Eminem song, and it was a very close split decision FOTN performance. They beat the brakes off of each other. It was Jeremy Stephens vs Sam Stout at UFC 133, where Stephens used the Drake song featuring Eminem called Forever, and Stout used Eminem's Go to Sleep.

Eminem Curse Stats:

Most Common Eminem Tracks:
Not Afraid – 13: 4 Wins, 9 Losses
Till I Collapse – 13: 5 Wins, 8 Losses
Lose Yourself – 12: 3 Wins, 9 Losses
Cinderella Man – 11: 2 Wins, 9 Losses
Go to Sleep – 10: 6 Wins, 4 Losses
Mosh - 9: 4 Wins, 4 Losses, 1 Draw

Fight Results:
12 KOs – 4 Wins, 8 Losses
25 TKOs – 9 Wins, 16 Losses
24 Submissions – 10 Wins, 14 Losses
3 Technical Submissions – 1 Win, 2 Losses
32 Unanimous Decisions – 19 Wins, 13 Losses
11 Split Decisions – 6 Wins, 5 Losses
1 Draw

Fighter Stats with Eminem:
Tito Ortiz: 5 Wins, 6 Losses, 1 Draw
Andrei Arlovski: 4 Wins, 2 Losses
Sam Stout: 4 Wins, 2 Losses
Robbie Lawler: 4 Wins, 1 Loss
Brendan Schaub: 3 Wins, 1 Loss
Jessica Andrade: 2 Wins, 2 Losses

Fighters vs Eminem Songs
Ben Saunders: 2-0 vs Eminem
Daron Cruickshank: 2-0 vs Eminem
Joe Lauzon: 0-3 vs Eminem
Ken Shamrock: 0-2 vs Eminem
Matt Brown: 0-2 vs Eminem

Other Bands vs Eminem Songs:
AC/DC: 3-1 vs Eminem
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: 2-1 vs Eminem
Pregador Luo: 2-2 vs Eminem
Ludacris: 2-0 vs Eminem
Thousand Foot Krutch: 0-3 vs Eminem

uxcxN3I.gif

Tito has the worst taste in music I've ever seen.

What the hell was AA doing coming out to eminem when he had the best walkout song ever.

I'd have expected significantly more than a 50/50% chance of failure, what with it being a 'curse' and all.

If I ever become a UFC fighter, I will walk out to this song because I think this song isn't effected by the curse...Guaranteed win IMO.

So your work proved that there is no curse at all. Cheers

Lawler comes out to em and it's working pretty well for him

UFC 199: Elvis Mutapcic comes out to Eminem's Till I Collapse against Kevin Casey. This is Casey's fight to lose, let's see what happens.

I'll update this spreadsheet tomorrow, since I'm pretty sure Jessica Andrade is going to use Eminem too tonight.

Second draw for the Eminem Curse.

Damn you have a lot of time on your hands.
To use his time more wisely, he would need to look at pre-fight odds for each of those matchups. If they were odds-on favorites to win, and lost, then that is one thing. But if they were +900 or something, then that Eminem walkout music correlation is not going to be very strong.

This is a culmination of my work with the UFC Entrance Music and Fight Result database that I have put together. I released a version of the Eminem Curse in 2012, but gathered a lot more data since then.

To those of you unfamiliar, for years, there has been speculation that UFC fighters walkout out to an Eminem song have lost. I wanted to put that curse to the test.

There have been 108 recorded walkouts using Eminem songs so far, and this is the spreadsheet holding it all.

Currently, the Eminem Curse stands at 50-57-1, with fighters using Eminem songs winning 46.3% of their fights.

There has been one fight where two fighters used an Eminem song, and it was a very close split decision FOTN performance. They beat the brakes off of each other. It was Jeremy Stephens vs Sam Stout at UFC 133, where Stephens used the Drake song featuring Eminem called Forever, and Stout used Eminem's Go to Sleep.
- Kenny Florian

To use his time more wisely, he would need to look at pre-fight odds for each of those matchups. If they were odds-on favorites to win, and lost, then that is one thing. But if they were +900 or something, then that Eminem walkout music correlation is not going to be very strong.
Yeah one of my plans was to look at odds, but they don't go that far back. The odds I can get are from different books, so there's no real uniformity. Plus, the UFC lines that they post on the infographic before the fight are different than the actual odds going into the fight, because they made the graphic and then the odds shifted before the fight.

As for the Curse, UFC 199 had two Eminem tracks. Fighters using Eminem songs went 1-0-1 at UFC 199.

Elvis Mutapcic, as mentioned above, used Till I Collapse in his fight against Kevin Casey. They fought to a Split Draw, giving us the second draw for the Eminem Curse.
Jessica Andrade used Lose Yourself in her fight against Jessica Penne, winning by second round TKO.

The spreadsheet and stat blocks have been adjusted accordingly.

Thread has been updated to reflect Andrew Holbrook's use of Till I Collapse, the most common Eminem song, at the TUF 23 finale, where he lost by knockout in 34 seconds. The stats have also been updated, I hope.

The Eminem Curse came back hard last night, as two fighters used Eminem tracks and both lost their fights.

Godofredo Pepey came out to Till I Collapse, and lost a unanimous decision to Darren Elkins.

Jim Alers came out to Lose Yourself, and as we remarked in the play-by-play thread, he was likely doomed because of his choice of music and lost a FOTN split decision to Jason Knight.

Darren Elkins has emerged as a new soldier of the Eminem Curse, with a record of 2-0 against fighters using Eminem songs.

Honestly, just a few a points below a 50/50 split isn't much of a curse. Interesting that the theory has so much traction. Most surprising thing is that the sample size is so large. Eminem gets used more often than I realized.

Are there any bands with really good winning percentages, or any with worse rates than Eminem? (among those commonly used)

Back