The Eminem Curse!

Honestly, just a few a points below a 50/50 split isn't much of a curse. Interesting that the theory has so much traction. Most surprising thing is that the sample size is so large. Eminem gets used more often than I realized.

Are there any bands with really good winning percentages, or any with worse rates than Eminem? (among those commonly used)
My next project starting next month will be go into frequently used bands/artists like AC/DC, DMX, and Rage.

I've worked hard to try to find all music used in the UFC, and I am going to keep working on getting music from the mid-era UFC events from 60-100. That way I can have a more complete list.

My next project starting next month will be go into frequently used bands/artists like AC/DC, DMX, and Rage.

I've worked hard to try to find all music used in the UFC, and I am going to keep working on getting music from the mid-era UFC events from 60-100. That way I can have a more complete list.
I look forward to seeing that. Good work here.

So, guys who listen to shitty music are more likely to lose a mma match?

Joe Lauzon needs to avoid Eminem at all costs.

Nice work. Imagine a fighter on the cover of UFC, coming off a win over Frank Mir walking to the octagon to Eminem.
Anderson Silva level luck waiting to happen.

At UFC Fight Night 92: Rodriguez vs Cacares, the Eminem Curse went .500.

Court McGee successfully decisioned Dominique Steele, while entering to Eminem's Cinderella Man

Horacio Gutierrez was demolished in the first round by Teruto Ishihara, while entering to Eminem's Lose Yourself.

Andrei Arlovski continued his use of Soldier by Eminem in his fight at UFC Fight Night 93 against Josh Barnett and was submitted in the 3rd round by Rear Naked Choke. That drops the Eminem Curse to 52-60-2, with fighters walking out to an Eminem song winning 45.61% of their fights.

Last edited:
That drops the Eminem Curse to 52-60-2, with fighter walking out to an Eminem song winning 45.61% of their fights.
Cause I am whatever you say I am...

Good to keep info like this going - always worth a glance. ?1?

At UFC Fight Night 94, Poirier vs Johnson, Eminem was used twice and the results were split.

Evan Dunham used Dead Wrong by Notorious B.I.G. ft. Eminem and picked up a FOTN Unanimous Decision win over the debuting Rick Glenn.

Chris Wade used Say What You Say by Eminem ft. Dr. Dre and lost a Unanimous Decision to Islam Makhachev, who himself used a frequently utilized track in Intro by DMX.

This brings the record of the Eminem Curse to 53-61-2, with fighters using Eminem tracks winning 45.68% of their fights.

The thread has been updated to include UFC Fight Night 95 Cyborg vs Lansberg:

Godofredo Pepey's scored a 1st Round submission win over Mike De La Torre, using Eminem's Till I Collapse.

The current record stands at 54-61-2, and the winning percentage creeps ever closer to 50%, at 46.15% as of this post.

I mean who does this. fun read though. shits and giggles for sure.

Since the last time I updated this thread in September 2016, I have picked up a whole lot more Eminem uses and have edited the spreadsheet to reflect those changes.

The Eminem Curse

And as another note that I might not have mentioned, Eminem is the most frequently used walkout artist in UFC history by far. He has been used at least 45 times more than the second most used walkout artist, 2Pac.

How is it a curse when it's almost 50/50?
Basically back in 2012 and so, it was conventional wisdom based on anecdotal evidence (people thought something in general because they heard an Eminem song and the fighter using it seemed to lose after) that there was a curse for fighters that used Eminem. The winning percentage back then for fighters using Eminem tracks was in the 30s, which was substantial. After a lot more study, I gathered the information to show it wasn't nearly as lopsided as it seemed. It's been known as the Eminem Curse since as far back as I can remember, and I know a few people swiped the information from my thread back in 2012 and even published stuff on MMA sites with it (it had the same formatting and style as what I made, it's no accident).

Nice list, mod. Now, if you just disable my double yellow, I'll 'like' your post. :)

only goat brandon schaub is good enough to not be affected by the curse

Nice list, mod. Now, if you just disable my double yellow, I'll 'like' your post. :)
giphy.gif

Back