The biggest underachiever in the History of MMA is?

He's got plenty of time left, unless I missed something. Did he just retire?

He just needs to learn how not to train like Cain Velasquez and stop getting injured. I will agree though, he's been far too inactive for my liking.
I think he's 32 years old. That makes him no spring chicken.

I think he's 32 years old. That makes him no spring chicken.
32 certainly isn't young, but he's been in the game long enough, and I'm sure he's in his prime now. Still has several solid years left I would say before he would start to decline.

Soko

He was suppose to be the next big thing, damnit

Uriah Hall?
Melvin Guillard?
Brendan Thatch?
Brandon Vera?
Roger Huerta?
Todd Duffee?
Michael McDonald?
Phillip Nover?
Cro Crop? (Strictly his UFC run. Don’t go crazy PRIDE fans)
Shane Carwin? ( Did well. But didn’t stick around too long)
Abu Schaubi ( remember the Souless one had a lot of hype before the Nog KO)
Jake Ellenberger?
TJ Grant?

Edit: My pick is McDonald. I thought he would be a long term Bantamweight champion even after the Barao loss. He looked good enough in that fight at such a young age that I thought in a few yrs he would be dominating everyone.

Somone else?
He just KO'd the former Bellator BW Champ. He'll probably be in line to fight Caldwell soon.

My picks are:
Guy Mezger
Marvin Eastman
Karo Parisyan

Champions that have won a belt and heavy fan favorites shouldnt be listed in my opinion because they at least achieved someonething in mma. So that would exclude people like former champion BJ Penn and former fan favorite Roger Huerta.

Last edited:
Paul Filho. Unbelievably talented but ruined by mental illness and drug addiction.

I'm seeing multiple time UFC champs like BJ and Arlovski in this thread. WTF? Even if you think they could have done more, being multiple time champ is the greatest underachiever you can think of?

Yes. If BJ's work ethic matched his natural talent, the guy would've been unstoppable. As much as he accomplished, and as well as he did, he could've accomplished more and done even better. The guy coasted on natural talent for most of his career. His combination of intangibles was, and still is, unparalleled. He beat himself in probably 99% of his losses. He was absolutely an underachiever.

Arlovski did as well as he could do. I don't see him as an underachiever.

Uriah Hall?
Melvin Guillard?
Brendan Thatch?
Brandon Vera?
Roger Huerta?
Todd Duffee?
Michael McDonald?
Phillip Nover?
Cro Crop? (Strictly his UFC run. Don’t go crazy PRIDE fans)
Shane Carwin? ( Did well. But didn’t stick around too long)
Abu Schaubi ( remember the Souless one had a lot of hype before the Nog KO)
Jake Ellenberger?
TJ Grant?

Edit: My pick is McDonald. I thought he would be a long term Bantamweight champion even after the Barao loss. He looked good enough in that fight at such a young age that I thought in a few yrs he would be dominating everyone.

Somone else?

How is Michael MacDonald an under achiever ?

Setting aside he just retired with a paralyzed arm as a result of fight related injuries

He lost to faber and barao at the ripe old age of 22

Then he was off for 2 years with injuries, came back with a fucked up hand , went 3-1 with all 3 wins by finish and retired crippled

By comparison Holloway didnt have a career defining win until he beat Pettis at age 25

Not sure how have career ending injuries makes you an under achiever

My picks are:
Guy Mezger
Marvin Eastman
Karo Parisyan

Champions that have won a belt and heavy fan favorites shouldnt be listed in my opinion because they at least achieved someonething in mma. So that would exclude people like former champion BJ Penn and former fan favorite Roger Huerta.
too many killers @ LHW, Im afraid...

Marvin Eastman: problematic weight class for him, kindah undersized...

I would say Conor. I mean, according to him none of these bums are even on his level and you gotta factor in the part where Conor discovered a Secret that gives one power over outcomes.

So Conor is a whole level above other fighters and has a Secret magical power and still loses a lot.

Second choice Alexander Emelianenko.

My picks are:
Guy Mezger
Marvin Eastman
Karo Parisyan

Guy and Karo are really interesting picks.

I thought of Mezger as unlucky. then he had the stroke and retired early

Good reminder how highly thought of Karo was at one point. Never really in shape and then went headcase. it would probably seem like a sad story except that he often acted like an asshole. I used to love how he brought judo to no-gi MMA. his fight with Sanchez is an all time classic IMO

How is Michael MacDonald an under achiever ?

Setting aside he just retired with a paralyzed arm as a result of fight related injuries

He lost to faber and barao at the ripe old age of 22

Then he was off for 2 years with injuries, came back with a fucked up hand , went 3-1 with all 3 wins by finish and retired crippled

By comparison Holloway didnt have a career defining win until he beat Pettis at age 25

Not sure how have career ending injuries makes you an under achiever
I think i explained pretty clear why i thought this in the op

BJ Penn.

BJ Penn with the discipline and drive of GSP would be the GOAT, for sure.

I think i explained pretty clear why i thought this in the op

I don't see how that is even remotely clear. Look up the definition of under achiever. . ,McDonald was fighting the absolute best guys in his weight class at age 22.

Under achiever means not living up to potential usually as a result of not trying hard enough

McDonald's career has been ended due to injury not lack of effort or ability

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back