The biggest underachiever in the History of MMA is?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Uriah Hall?
Melvin Guillard?
Brendan Thatch?
Brandon Vera?
Roger Huerta?
Todd Duffee?
Michael McDonald?
Phillip Nover?
Cro Crop? (Strictly his UFC run. Don’t go crazy PRIDE fans)
Shane Carwin? ( Did well. But didn’t stick around too long)
Abu Schaubi ( remember the Souless one had a lot of hype before the Nog KO)
Jake Ellenberger?
TJ Grant?

Edit: My pick is McDonald. I thought he would be a long term Bantamweight champion even after the Barao loss. He looked good enough in that fight at such a young age that I thought in a few yrs he would be dominating everyone.

Somone else?

Last edited:
Jake Ellenberger

It's crazy to think that the run of a KO machine was derailed by a man with a suspect chin in Martin Kampmann, as deadly as Martin was both on the feet and on the ground.

I thought Brandon Vera was a cool guy. Pity he fizzed out. What happened?

Travis Browne. He had all the abilities to be HW champ but he wasn't hungry enough.

Chan Sung Jung. The military ruined his career.

TJ Grant. It was looking so good for him.

Jake Ellenberger

It's crazy to think that the run of a KO machine was derailed by a man with a suspect chin in Martin Kampmann, as deadly as Martin was both on the feet and on the ground.
I, too, didn't understand very well what happened to Ellenberger.

I would guess most that ended up training under Armenian Count Chocula.

BJ Penn is up there. As good as he was and as much as he accomplished, he was often surrounded by yes men, didn't discipline himself enough, and chased challenges way outside of his natural weight class. He should have been able to defend that LW belt countless times.

Lee Murray at least has to be added to the list. Not sure who I'd pick though, gotta think about it.

BJ Penn. The guy had more natural talent in his pinky than some guys have in their whole body, and still managed to lose to guys he shouldn't have lost to. He had some big accomplishments, but relied too much on his natural abilities and lost to guys that simply worked harder.

If Penn worked with the Marinovich brothers for the rest of his career after he hired them, he would've done huge things. He stopped working with them because they were working him too hard. Very sad. He could've gone down as the best to ever do it, but lacked the work ethic.

Uriah Hall?
Melvin Guillard?
Brendan Thatch?
Brandon Vera?
Roger Huerta?
Todd Duffee?
Michael McDonald?
Phillip Nover?

Somone else?
Cody Garbrandt @cody_nolove
High fives TJ @tjdillashaw

I would add Edson Barboza. If he worked on sub defense and wrestling he would of been champ champ easy peasy

BJ Penn - if he had shown any kind of drive or discipline he would've been absolutely dominant

Andrei Arlovski - Looked like an MMA Mike Tyson, seemed like he was on course to challenge Fedor as the best HW on the planet. Then he got KO'd, his jaw turned to glass and he fought scared.

Shammy - went to WWF and by the time he came back the game had evolved and passed him by, and he had lost his hunger.

Back