The All-Purpose Motor Sports Thread V2: Throwing hats trigger GWCs.

They had trouble finding a major sponsor. Teams are having trouble finding sponsors too. The cost of attending a live race is too high to take a family and the races not being on network television or a primary cable station is limiting viewing. Add to that the generation of fans that are dying off.

All of that and the experience of being at a race is different than it was even 5 years ago. The racing sucks, too.

It appears that Valtteri Bottas will take the Mercedes seat vacated by Rosberg. He was seen visiting the Mercedes factory likely to be fitted to the car.

It's a sad day for vintage NHRA fans. Pat Minick, driver the Chi-Town Hustler, has passed away.

chitown.jpg

yes, Bottas to Mercedes. he was apparently Hammy's choice to replace Nico.
but he cautioned, "It's business as usual."
I think they'll get along really.

France does it again.

Supposedly they consulted with the teams and drivers. There will be a yellow flag after each segment. If you aren't in the top ten it could be an advantage to pit before the segment ends to get ahead of those in the top ten who will pit during the yellow flag after the segment ends. It puts some strategy into play.

Supposedly they consulted with the teams and drivers. There will be a yellow flag after each segment. If you aren't in the top ten it could be an advantage to pit before the segment ends to get ahead of those in the top ten who will pit during the yellow flag after the segment ends. It puts some strategy into play.

Real strategy was racing, planning your stops, having that plan fucked by cautions, and adapting.

I have no motivation to attend the ASR if every race is segmented. There's nothing special about it now. It sucks.

And they murdered the point system.

Rolex 24 at Daytona is this weekend starting on Fox then continuing on FS2 at 10 PM with the finish on FS1 on Sunday.

The Rolex 24 is under way at Daytona. It's overcast and light rain is in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. The 3 Caddys are leading.

yea, been watching since I got home from a track day at Laguna Seca.
beautiful, sunny day in Monterey.
big field of cars.
no crashes.

yea, been watching since I got home from a track day at Laguna Seca.
beautiful, sunny day in Monterey.
big field of cars.
no crashes.

No sun at Daytona. Rain and cool weather most of the race making it very tricky to drive. Surprisingly few serious crashes but many minor ones as the cars were sliding around. Many hours of full course caution. It dried off for the last hours allowing some racing but it was interrupted several times by full course cautions for mechanical failures and minor crashes that blocked the track. The first and second place cars collided in the closing minutes with the stewards taking no action and they raced to a close finish.

lol, I saw that. how does Taylor not get penalized for that?
flagrant punt.

If it would have happened earlier in the race it might have been different but IMSA is also a little stricter on blocking because of the different classes. They don't want blocking to stack up traffic and create big crashes. Taylor was obviously faster and Barbosa wasn't giving any room to race because he knew he was slower. Earlier in the race Barbosa had let him pass but Barbosa knew his only chance to win was to try to keep him behind him and hope he didn't get a post race penalty for blocking.

well, that at least makes sense to a degree.
doesn't hurt that the Taylor family/business is just down the road from Daytona either.

3 in-race stages set for the Daytona 500: 60-60-80

I don't even want to watch.

Back