The All-Encompassing Vitamin D Thread

I have been taking some d3 cause I am sick @ 10,000IUs so far for the last three days. I really don't feel like I am getting better. I am eating alot of healthy foods. Not saying D3 isn't great. I will take it anyway even if it doesn't aid the sickness. But damn I hope this situation gets better.

I'm not sure if it's all that effective when used like that. You need to be taking it on a regular basis to prevent illness. It's not something like Oil of Oregano that you can just take when you get sick and expect to see results.

I will say this, I've been taking 4000-5000 iu's before bed for the past month and a half and haven't had so much as a sniffle. If I make it through to March without getting sick, I will take this shit for the rest of my life.

i dont think vitamin d is supposed to cure a cold.. it cures vitamin d deficiency. you might be thinking of vitamin c, which some people take a lot of to prevent/recover from sickness?

i dont think vitamin d is supposed to cure a cold.. it cures vitamin d deficiency. you might be thinking of vitamin c, which some people take a lot of to prevent/recover from sickness?

But the theory is that deficiency can make people more prone to colds, flu, etc.

I'm not sure if it's all that effective when used like that. You need to be taking it on a regular basis to prevent illness. It's not something like Oil of Oregano that you can just take when you get sick and expect to see results.

I will say this, I've been taking 4000-5000 iu's before bed for the past month and a half and haven't had so much as a sniffle. If I make it through to March without getting sick, I will take this shit for the rest of my life.

True also its Winter and I am detoxing.

I've been taking D3 5000 IU a day for a month and I've been sick most of the time. Right now I'm suffering my third flu or whatever it is.

Yeah, every meal some veggies and fruit. I should propably go to see a doctor if this doesn't resolve itself.

Bumping this thread as we get closer to Fall.

Also wanted to post this as well.

Comparison of Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Vitamin D3 in Ethanol Dosing Protocols for Two Months in Elderly Hip Fracture Patients -- Ish-Shalom et al. 93 (9): 3430 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism

It compares different dosing methods. I thought it would be appropriate for the folks here who might have older family members who are somewhat forgetful. It took some effort to convince my father and grandpa to take vitamin D, but there was NO WAY they'd remember to take it every day. So I routinely give them each a larger dose either every week or bi-weekly when I see them. I have my cousin doing the same thing for my grandmother in Alberta, a woman who hasn't seen the sun in years.

What dosage have you been on(if any) and for how long?

In the colder months I take 1000iu's twice daily. In the warmer months I will take 1000iu's once daily if I have 2 consecutive days without sun exposure. I also drink quite a bit of whole milk that is vitamin D fortified so that probably adds a little bit more. I started the additional supplementing before last fall.

LOL! Vitamin D is yet another supplement that Poliquin can mega dose on.

Vitamin D3: Best...Supplement...Ever!

Now the question becomes “How do I get my vitamin D3 to optimal levels?” This is the best part, since it’s very easy to fix vitamin D3 deficiency. There are a couple of different approaches that have been shown to work very well. One way is to just supplement with 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 every day and it’s likely your levels will be at least in the normal range within about three months, but remember, high normal is better than mid normal. Expect it to take another couple of months to reach high normal.

Another approach, which I prefer, is to supplement twice per week with about 30,000 to 100,000 IU of D3. Based on the research and clinical evidence, this method seems to accelerate the increase in blood levels of 25(OH) D3 (the marker that should be tested for). Although the kidneys still need to convert 25(OH) D3 into 1.25(OH)2 D3, the relevant lab value is 25(OH) D3. You should be shooting to get your levels between 80 and 100 ng/mL.

Ladies and gentleman, please do not think vitamin D3 supplementation will be helpful acutely when you have a cold. I am reading high doses here (albeit it takes a LOT to become toxic), but I highly recommend against this. It should be used for preventative purposes only, it takes quite some time to replenish a low vitamin D level (1-3 months) and while it has an absolute role in immunity, it is one of many factors. In fact there is no high quality evidence that vitamin C, which has been tauted for years, is indicated in the setting of an acute cold. Do not go supplement crazy without the advice of a professional.

So I read a couple of weeks ago(sorry, can't remember where) that a study was underway looking at the effects of high dose D3(6000+iu's daily) on pregnant women but it was halted due to 'ethical reasons.' Does anyone know what the reasons were? Was it possible complications with the fetuses?

Any idea the approximate sun/tanning bed exposure to vitamin D synthesized? Like 10 minutes of direct sunlight will give you 1000IU?

Any idea the approximate sun/tanning bed exposure to vitamin D synthesized? Like 10 minutes of direct sunlight will give you 1000IU?

No, it's way more than that. I've read that 15 minutes of full body exposure to direct sunlight can cause the body to produce over 20,000 units of vitamin D.

So I read a couple of weeks ago(sorry, can't remember where) that a study was underway looking at the effects of high dose D3(6000+iu's daily) on pregnant women but it was halted due to 'ethical reasons.' Does anyone know what the reasons were? Was it possible complications with the fetuses?

My guess would be because they do not know how it would effect the child in the womb.

Back