The 10 riskiest cities for women travellers

I an guessing these cities are places that foreign tourists actually travel to, cause I would think there are way more cities in Arab world, Pakistan and Afghanistan that would surpass Istanbul, Sao Paulo and Jakarta but they must not get any female tourists owing to their reputation for being dangerous cities.

Last edited:
Well, and I haven't read the methodology of the piece, I assumed it was more sex-specific/non-criminal than just drug trade/street crime. If it was purely a matter of street crime, I'd have expected places like Rio de Janeiro and Mogadishu to be on the list as well.

I cant find the methodology but i dont think its about rape but more about harrassment and the such.

Specially when it comes to construction workers, its a stereotype that all construction workers harrass women.

I think there was even a game made about it.

The thing is that most women will tell them to fuck off or call them "naco" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naco_(slang).

But if you are a female foreigner, specially white (considered the standard of beauty) and meek i think you will get harrassed in a lot of cities in Mexico if you happen to travel to places where poor people hangout.

Looking through that sourced Wikipedia article, since 1973, 7290 people have died traveling to and while in Mecca for hajj. These deaths were from human trampling (by far the largest contributor), fire, structural collapses, plane crashes, and terror and protests. I didn't total deaths of natural causes or those by heat and disease. I also didn't add up the thousands injured.

Also, it seems like they didn't keep track of other death stats besides airplane crashes prior to about '87.

I've seen some horrific videos out of india and pakistan

I think it was off Vice.

A women was accused of something spurious and there was a literal mob calling for her execution, the police attempted to usher her to safety by placing her on the roof so she could flee...the mobs threw rocks at her, one hitting her in the head, where she fell and the mob proceeded to torture her to death.

Fucking animals.

Islam is a seriously fucked up and evil cult.

I wouldn't go to half of these cities with an M1 Abrams.

Well, and I haven't read the methodology of the piece, I assumed it was more sex-specific/non-criminal than just drug trade/street crime. If it was purely a matter of street crime, I'd have expected places like Rio de Janeiro and Mogadishu to be on the list as well.

EDIT: I have been to Mexico City as well, and while I do not care for the congestion and sprawl of the metropolis, I didn't think it was a particular women-traveller-risky place.

Were you in a resort?

Why Sao Paolo and Mexico City? They are both pretty western. Both are known for nightlife, and beautiful women.

'No, silly'?

Are you a 15 year old girl, because then I better not talk to you. I could get accused of something in 38 years and it will cost me an election.

Don't be silly.

Back