Tanner Rice

I rolled with him last year while visiting Cobrinha's and I knew this guy was something special. He tooled me very badly and I felt he was always steps ahead of me, basically like what a good black belt feels like. I'm a purple and I compete fairly often at every belt color so I can get a pretty good idea of how skillful someone is by training with them. WIth this guy, I was thinking to myself, "why haven't I heard much about this guy before? He is freakin high level." And less than a year later, we are starting to see him rise up

I know what Lundell did with his life, he still competes sport BJJ just in obscure tournaments against nobodies and teammates. Why would he fly out to bum fuck nowhere to no hands kneebar his lifelong training partner (fixed match) but not go to ADCC trials or Nogi Worlds a couple hours from Vegas, where he is training MMA dudes?
I'm not sure what match you're talking about with the kneebar, but Lundell did the FILA thing for a bit. I don't know why he never entered the ADCC Trials system or did the No Gi Worlds and would have liked to see him do so too. Is he competing now or is this in the recent past?

Anyways, he's a small city Utah guy for life. Go figure.

Good thing Tanner isn't. He'll do extremely well over the next few years and I'm still wishing he didn't bow out to Lepri (and that the same didn't happen with Leandro Lo). Seeing that kind of match is what IBJJF should be pushing for.

um.....cobrinha teaches in america. tanner rice is american

The guy said he hoped the first CONUS black belt gold medalist came from a team that was not led by an American coach.

I thought that was weird. Why hope for an American champ while rooting against the only prominent homegrown American team?

The guy said he hoped the first CONUS black belt gold medalist came from a team that was not led by an American coach.

I thought that was weird. Why hope for an American champ while rooting against the only prominent homegrown American team?

guy wants to see an american guy win it. he likes alliance better than lti. wants rice to win. makes sense

if it needs to be so american that you have to root for a coach because he is american too, then that person should have interest in some sport that came from america

this conversation is killing my last living brain cell

Where did Tanner train before Cobrinhas? Did he get his brown there too?

Geez, I mean no hate for team LI.

Its going to be inevitable that one of the LI guys will win the mundials. If not 2013, then the following year. Plus Keenan will most likely be a black belt by then!

Just saying it would be nice surprise to have this relatively unknown (american) guy take it first. I find it rather unlikely, but it would be shocking. Also, just wanted to make a ginger comment. lol

I won't be surprised if Tanner wins a world title at BB before any of TLI's guys does

he trained under his dad. I cant remember his name but his dad is a black belt under rickson

Shane Rice? There's actually a nice no gi match between Shane and Cobrinha included on Cobrinha's instructional DVD set. Interesting that he's now training his opponent's son!

Shane Rice? There's actually a nice no gi match between Shane and Cobrinha included on Cobrinha's instructional DVD set. Interesting that he's now training his opponent's son!

His dad's name is Rod, I'm not sure if he's under Rickson.

I was about to say.

I'm not sure if Shane Rice is old enough to have a kid this age.

i talked to his son Sam a few times. he told me hes a black belt under rickson.

Oh ok, that's what I thought, but I wasn't totally sure. Have you rolled with/competed against Sam? He's a beast too.

Back