Tanner Rice

snoop dogg***

Baby Heath goon$quad
Reaction score
for those of you who dont know, Tanner Rice is a black belt under cobrinha. He is 19 years old and recieved his black belt 2 months ago after winning his division at the US Open

Today Tanner competed in the Fall international Open in Long Beach and took first. defeating Megaton Dias who has been a blackbelt longer than tanner has even been alive.

After winning first in the fall open, Tanner solidified his place in the IBJJF pro league, with his first match being against Tanqinho.
Amazingly Tanner beat Tanq 4-0 shocking me and many others...
Sam, a 19 year old who has only been at black for 2 months is already defeating world champs. unfortunately after, the fight with tanq, Tanner got injured and was forced to withdraw..
9692_461261857242706_1080070052_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah,that's amazing.IMO we are catching up with Brazil in BJJ with people seriously competing at younger ages.Tanner and his brought have basically grown up training BJJ as have quite a few young talented competitors.It won't surprise me to see Tanner be a World champ at blackbelt one day.

i'm 19, makes me feel as if i'm doing nothing with my life lol.

Hopefully Tanner doesn't vanish from sport jiujitsu like other phenom teen black belts. (cough Lundell)

Wish there was recent competition footage of him. Wanted to check out his game. What does he usually use? Since he said he always pulls guard, and anyone know what he did to get Mendes back?

That was really cool to see him perform so well but disappointing he had to pull out due to injury.
I think he just put the BJJ world on notice.

Wish there was recent competition footage of him. Wanted to check out his game. What does he usually use? Since he said he always pulls guard, and anyone know what he did to get Mendes back?

he came up from bottom with a single leg and had tanq pretty much doing a handstand trying not to get swept, i think tanq was up like 2 advantages with 9 minutes left so tanner had to get the sweep. he jumped on his back but he never got both hooks in, then with like 10 seconds left or something tanq was just going for it all from top trying to pass and got swept again

he came up from bottom with a single leg and had tanq pretty much doing a handstand trying not to get swept, i think tanq was up like 2 advantages with 9 minutes left so tanner had to get the sweep. he jumped on his back but he never got both hooks in, then with like 10 seconds left or something tanq was just going for it all from top trying to pass and got swept again

yup. I wa sshocked. he didnt get points for the back take seeing as it was before right time ran out and i think he only had 1 hook in

he is an awesome guy. he came out of amazona's out in redding california.
He is just a phenom. He did some private lessons with my bud

Reverse de la riva into single as Tanquinho went to pass. Tanquinho went onto on leg and his hands to not get swept by Tanner went for his back and ended up on top again with the sweep.

Holy shit, i didn't know he beat tanquihno. And he beat tanquihno's "father-in-law" just before?

Go gingers! These guys are badass. Would love to see him or Jonathan Thomas reach the podium at black belt worlds. I'm a fan of Lloyd irvin, but it would be nice to see some of these american raised alliance guys win a worlds before team LI gets to it first!

IMO he dominated tanq in that match, looked like the better grappler and pushed his game the entire time

Holy shit, i didn't know he beat tanquihno. And he beat tanquihno's "father-in-law" just before?

Go gingers! These guys are badass. Would love to see him or Jonathan Thomas reach the podium at black belt worlds. I'm a fan of Lloyd irvin, but it would be nice to see some of these american raised alliance guys win a worlds before team LI gets to it first!

LOL Why? You feel better if a Brazilian team wins first?

DJ is already a W. Champ...No Gi, but still

Hopefully Tanner doesn't vanish from sport jiujitsu like other phenom teen black belts. (cough Lundell)
Lundell went to wrestle for Cael Sanderson and never made the starting roster. Then he went back to Utah to teach and link up with MMA guys.

I can see why you'd like to see him in the sport BJJ world, but he's making way more money right now and I can't blame him for making that decision.

Lundell went to wrestle for Cael Sanderson and never made the starting roster. Then he went back to Utah to teach and link up with MMA guys.

I can see why you'd like to see him in the sport BJJ world, but he's making way more money right now and I can't blame him for making that decision.

I know what Lundell did with his life, he still competes sport BJJ just in obscure tournaments against nobodies and teammates. Why would he fly out to bum fuck nowhere to no hands kneebar his lifelong training partner (fixed match) but not go to ADCC trials or Nogi Worlds a couple hours from Vegas, where he is training MMA dudes?

Back