TAM is too aggressive for Sage Northcutt

He's yet to turn 22 and is undefeated at lightweight. After five fights in the division.

I think he's off to a good start, and with time he'll learn about things like patience.
5-0 at LW but the UFC gave him the worst they can offer. These are the UFC records of the guys he fought (not counting him).

Francisco Trevino: 1-1 in the UFC. They cut him.
Cody Pfister: 1-3 in the UFC. They cut him.
Enrique Marin: 0-1 in the UFC. They cut him.
Michel Quiñones: 0-1 in the UFC.
Thibault Gouti: 1-3 in the UFC
Combined UFC record: 3-9

Im the minority but I dont think he has evolved at all in 7 UFC fights. I think he has a very low potential as a MMA fighter and he will be out of it as soon as he can make money acting.

Sage at TAM

aozVRwn_700b.jpg

Before sage there was Joe Riggs who was a boxer striker but like sage he too had a great physique and reputation of potential greatness.

While now we see with Riggs that the real immediate enemy to a fighter is not father time but wear and tear of combat sports.

Is it just some strange bizzare coincidence that both Randy couture and Bernard Hopkins stared their career late and had the maturity to take care of their health?

Point is, being super young is not a blessing and it may have been better if sage made his debut in mid 20s because now he has entered the phase of combat competition and no longer in the skill cultivation phase.

With a name like Sage Northcutt, this guy sounds like a tough guy wrong side of the town fighter necktatts type.

Like he's going to pal around with some kid named Wonderboy.

He'd probably be best served going back to school and forgetting about MMA, altogether.
I agree with you, but he needs to strike while the iron is hot. I’m guessing he is making on the order of 500-600k per year.

He can always go back to school. He might also be best served by opening a few karate academies.

I agree with you, but he needs to strike while the iron is hot. I’m guessing he is making on the order of 500-600k per year.

He can always go back to school. He might also be best served by opening a few karate academies.

I also prefer to study after being diagnosed with CTE. For me it just helps.

Their way of fighting is too aggressive for someone like Sage. They like to bang because they have the boxing capabilities to do so but even then you see them getting KO'd here and there. It's a risky game in MMA. Sage needs to go train with Wonderboy. The kid needs to learn to be patient and forget trying to go blow for blow. He is too focused on being exciting which wont get him far in this game.

The kid has the speed, and even the cardio to pull off a Wonderboy type performance. Instead of being a sniper which is what Karate is good at, the kid seems to lose his temper/patience, plants his feet, and try to go blow for blow. He seems to have a Brock Lesner type reaction to getting hit. No experience in rolling with punches. I see many concussions in his future unless he changed things. He is only 21 so lets see what happens.
Wonderboy has chin and heart. Those shots he ate from Woodley would have put Sage in a coma.

I definitely think that more people are on the Wonderboy War Wagon than aren't. He's a popular fighter.
He lost a few fans with the Woodley fights and for being a bit safe against Rory, the usual "what have you done for me lately" crowd. He's been in way more exciting fights than otherwise and has some excellent stoppages.

Is that money worth the damage, though? He already comes from money and can probably use his name hustle money from idiots without taking brain damage against shitty opposition.

he Seems like he doesn’t spar or simulate a fight in training.
And he is shocked when he actually get punched in the face.
That’s not even uncommon today. Cage fighters shocked that indeed getting punched in the face is painful and it surprises them.
ITs fucking bizarre.

I agree with ya though ts.

If he were trying to be a Karate-Do champion I think Wonderboy would be great, but Sage is fighting legions of wrestlers/bawlers at 155, TAM has a hundred perfect sparring partners. Keep doin' your thing Sage.

He lost a few fans with the Woodley fights and for being a bit safe against Rory, the usual "what have you done for me lately" crowd. He's been in way more exciting fights than otherwise and has some excellent stoppages.

Yeah, those people will always be around. The fair weather fans who have the attitude of, as you say, "what have you done for me lately?"

Certainly a lot of people recognize that Wonderboy's style is sick as fuck. Sure, it's technical instead of just throwing hands and brawling, but I think it's amazing to watch. And because of his karate background, what he's doing just looks and feels different from what nearly every other fighter is doing.

Yeah, those people will always be around. The fair weather fans who have the attitude of, as you say, "what have you done for me lately?"

Certainly a lot of people recognize that Wonderboy's style is sick as fuck. Sure, it's technical instead of just throwing hands and brawling, but I think it's amazing to watch. And because of his karate background, what he's doing just looks and feels different from what nearly every other fighter is doing.
I agree. His style is unique, which makes it cool. If everyone fought that way it would become bland quickly, but they don't and can't. Starting with the Stittgen stoppage he has a way producing sudden, unorthadox attacks which add mysetery and (to me) a tension to his fights.

I don' understand why he isn't getting any better, is it a mental thing? He has all the physical tools.

Sage obviously doesn't have ko power.
He could develop it though but the knockouts come by themselves in time.

If save adopted a more active/volume style like Edgar or bisping I think he would do way better and could grind his opponents early on and work for the NO once they become demoralized sitting ducks.

Now it's like he throws out his best weapons at full speed while his opponents are fresh and able to defend.

Sage is a disappointment and should really take a few years of because he is obviously not improving all that much.

He'd probably be best served going back to school and forgetting about MMA, altogether.

LOL at haters like this. Sage is 5-0 at LW in UFC and makes 120k to fight 3x per year and has sponsorships and 650k Instagram followers. He makes 500k a year at 21 years of age. What the fuck were you doing at 21?

I think the OP misses the point of Alpha Male for Sage. He went there to improve his wrestling. The sad part is, I didn't see the improvement. He needs to do far better in his grappling and it's not showing up yet. More Alpha Male for you Sage! Once you have the grappling down, go see Wonderboy or Machida.

He needs to train at SBG with Conor so he can work on his trash talk, granted hes already quite nice and flowy so Artem can keep working wit him on that.

“I enjoyed training with Mr. McGregor and would have kept it up, but my dad says ‘playing touch butt with that Dork in the park’ is of the Devil.”

~~Sage Northcutt

LOL at haters like this. Sage is 5-0 at LW in UFC and makes 120k to fight 3x per year and has sponsorships and 650k Instagram followers. He makes 500k a year at 21 years of age. What the fuck were you doing at 21?

Against regional level competition, and he should have lost his last outing. He hasn't made any noticeable improvements in his career, and he doesn't have any discernible skills that are ever going to make him elite (most hyped prospects are at least elite at something, but Northcutt is getting whooped on the feet and soundly outwrestled by regional level talent with no credentials).

Maybe the paycheques he is making are worth the beatings he is going to take (from all accounts his father doesn't let him spar properly, so I guess he's not accumulating too much damage in the gym), but considering his following, he could probably make good money hustling those idiots without taking beatings from unknown journeymen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Baker
Back