....talks about Bruce Lee.

Seem like confident fighters and legit badasses respect Bruce Lee.

I honesty cant decide who i think is worse: the Bruce Lee haters, or those who worship him as a demi god.

Kareem hit that one bball player like a punk, from behind, and he even moved away after he did it, like he was scared or something. Like Kareerm but that was wrong and he looked like a complete punk doing it.

Lew Alcindor wouldn't have done that. Kareem love sneak attacks.

Great martial art pioneer and philosopher. Also extremely charasmatic action star, but I feel like most people downplay the first part and exaggerate the second part like he is an invincible fighter.
Nailed it.

Here's the most honest thing you'll ever hear about Bruce Lee.

Most people only want to call him amazing, because anything else could be interpreted as being disrespectful to the dead.

However, in this interview Chuck Norris let's a little insight slip out.

Chuck says here he was working out with Bruce, and the interviewer says, "but not fighting each other?"

And Chuck quickly says "No. I was a professional fighter." And kind of snickers at the idea.

But then he quickly realizes what he just said so he backpedals, and says Bruce was really good and they never wanted to go there blah blah blah.

But for a split second there you get a sense of how ridiculous Chuck thinks it is that everyone believes Bruce was this invincible fighter.

Most people only want to call him amazing, because anything else could be interpreted as being disrespectful to the dead.

Chuck says here he was working out with Bruce, and the interviewer says, "but not fighting each other?"

And Chuck quickly says "No. I was a professional fighter." And kind of snickers at the idea.

But then he quickly realizes what he just said so he backpedals, and says Bruce was really good and they never wanted to go there blah blah blah.

But for a split second there you get a sense of how ridiculous Chuck thinks it is that everyone believes Bruce was this invincible fighter.

Very nice thanks for sharing.

To be honest, I don't think Bruce Lee is invincible. But based my observation of his movements, his discipline, his philosophies, his ability to adapt, I think Bruce would have been a very dangerous and worthy opponent against top elite MMA fighters in his weight class. Not saying he'd be champion, but he'd give a good shot at it I believe.

no, chuck has always had ambivalence over Bruce. Chuck was a champion of non-contact, that's just where the sport was then, it looks pitiful today and it's nothing to really be super proud of. He has a ton of skills but in those days, if you chose to compete, you generally had to play the game that way.

Rumors were, they actually did spar and Chuck was left embarrassed, how true that is who knows but I was always always suspicious of a guy who seemed to get his hackles up every time Bruce was mentioned, even though Bruce helped his career. Story was that Chuck and the rest of the martial artists around were mainly scared of Bruce when he was alive. After he died? well..., Also, as I always mention, you don't get good perspective from anyone in the same line, that's just not how it works. Would Joe Frazier say a lot good about Muhammad? No, even though Muhammad beat him to a pulp the last time they fought, that's just how it works. Same in music and maybe even worse, the wannabes take shots at legends and claim they are better, if they are, they never made it work out for them.

Ah the good old Chuck "i taught Bruce Lee high kicks" Norris

Ah the good old Chuck "i taught Bruce Lee high kicks" Norris

And that's one of the reasons Bruce was great. He was willing to learn from anyone from any style. If he were alive I'm sure he would freely admit that he learned a few things from Chuck.

And btw, Chuck freely admits that he learned some things from Bruce.

Could Bruce throw a high kick before training with Chuck? Of course. But it's entirely possible that Chuck taught him the tang so do way of throwing it.

Bruce was overall right about low kicks/or against high kicks. As we've seen in mma, and in muay thai, the low kicks are generally more useful. High kicks take a lot of energy and any good fighter is gonna see most of them coming and move. Sidekicks, including bruce's are generally useless.

Anyway, story goes that chuck was running his pie hole about Bruce not being his teacher, story was that Bruce called chuck up and intimidated him into taking the phone and telling his class in progress that Bruce was his teacher. Like I say, just something about Chucks' attitude tells me that Bruce might have really put him down at some point.

Aside from that, there is nothing unusual about people talking shit or dismissing someone who's really great, it's ego and it's everywhere so, pointing to "look what fuck face said, and he's an authority" is meaningless.

Great martial art pioneer and philosopher. Also extremely charasmatic action star, but I feel like most people downplay the first part and exaggerate the second part like he is an invincible fighter.

Most people seem to think his fighting was fake and gay, not sure what you’re talking about

Most people seem to think his fighting was fake and gay, not sure what you’re talking about

I'm not sure who you surround yourself with but the people I interact with don't spend a lot of time thinking about sexuality of other men.

Funny how point sparring is professional fighting back then

Bruce Lee was a martial artist.

I don't know if he was a "fighter"

Maybe. He was clearly training with intent and discipline and a master of his body, but until someone is in a fight it is anyone's guess if they are a "fighter" or not.
YOU don't even know, until the first time you have fists flying at your face.

I have seen a 6'3 black belt, clearly trained, who could throw quick snappy head high kicks with the type of form you can't fake, turn into a negotiator the SECOND shit hit the fan, and I have seen a skinny, WEALTHY, "pretty boy" run like a banshee into a brawl against the Hofstra football team against guys who on average outweighed him by probably 100+ pounds. Zero hesitation, consequences be what they may, he was down.

If Bruce pursued fighting, I expect he would have done well. He has a great attitude about learning and bettering his skills. Way way ahead of his time in that regard. But we will never know.

That said, it seems like he does have a bit of resentment towards Kung Fu because it seems like he got handled by Wang Shujin who is a karate hating Kung Fu master.

Where did you read that?

Best I can find is this:

Extract from Jared Miracle's article Imposing the Terms of the Battle: Donn F. Draeger, Count Dante and and the Struggle for American Martial Arts Identity, Martial Arts Studies 1, 46-59.
Test performed by Jon Bluming and Wang Shujin in presence of Donn F. Draeger. Unidentified date, probably in the 60s. Shujin was a tai chi master at his fourties, around 300 pounds in weight, while Bluming was a judoka in his twenties, 160-200 pounds and unknown rank (possibly shodan).

"Wang was known for his apparently indestructible belly. Possessed of a prodigious waistline, he would assume a taiji posture and invite anyone to strike at his abdomen, simply absorbing the blow no matter how large or powerful the aggressor. Draeger saw that this was a parlor trick of one sort or another and resolved to determine just how durable the man’s gut might be. Bluming recalls that he was invited to meet Wang at a private training hall where few could be witness to the spectacle. Because of the somewhat secretive nature of this meeting, a number of rumors have been generated over the years with all manner of variations on the basic idea that Wang and Bluming had an all-out fight. Bluming insists that this was not the case, explaining that, at first, Wang took his usual stance and allowed Bluming to punch him in the stomach. The Dutchman did so, with the usual results. At that time Bluming was focused much more on judo than karate, however, and they agreed that testing the European’s grip would be a better means of judging Wang’s powers. Gripping Wang’s shoulders (he was not wearing a judo uniform), Bluming was surprised when the taiji expert shot his belly forward, checking Bluming so hard that he was thrown ‘meters away’. There ended the meeting, with Bluming and Draeger walking away unconvinced that Wang would be of much use in a street altercation."

he was 165 before cutting to 136. Also, in his era, there were no weight classes.

He was smaller than Mighty Mouse, he would be walking around at 136. if you took him in his prime and transported him to today he'd be a male straw weight and sherdog would ridicule him.

Bruce was overall right about low kicks/or against high kicks. As we've seen in mma, and in muay thai, the low kicks are generally more useful. High kicks take a lot of energy and any good fighter is gonna see most of them coming and move. Sidekicks, including bruce's are generally useless.

Anyway, story goes that chuck was running his pie hole about Bruce not being his teacher, story was that Bruce called chuck up and intimidated him into taking the phone and telling his class in progress that Bruce was his teacher. Like I say, just something about Chucks' attitude tells me that Bruce might have really put him down at some point.

Aside from that, there is nothing unusual about people talking shit or dismissing someone who's really great, it's ego and it's everywhere so, pointing to "look what fuck face said, and he's an authority" is meaningless.
Wasn't Bruce Lee already half a cripple from his back injury by the time him and Norris hung out or am i getting the timline mixed up here?

Where did you read that?

Best I can find is this:

Extract from Jared Miracle's article Imposing the Terms of the Battle: Donn F. Draeger, Count Dante and and the Struggle for American Martial Arts Identity, Martial Arts Studies 1, 46-59.
I read it at all old blog of Bruce Frantzis who mentioned being a former karate expert who became a yogi and then got in to Chinese martial arts.

This was what he said about Wang:

Web capture_19-3-2024_141549_www.energyarts.com.jpeg

Now I know I know, its a tall tale but it seems like Wang had crazy Kung Fu skills and Tim Ferris mentioned something about Qi Gong mysticism about a master who was doing something with air and this was in the early Rogan podcast.

Wasn't Bruce Lee already half a cripple from his back injury by the time him and Norris hung out or am i getting the timline mixed up here?
No, he met Norris around 66 I believe, and the back injury was a couple years later. My timeline isn't perfect but I know it was before the injury. As far as Half a cripple, I've heard differing versions on the seriousness of his back injury, from him being told he'd never kick again to it wasn't really that bad. I don't really know how serious it was, only that the movie Dragon was full of shit with the wheelchair and all.

Again, I have to say, you will not get a good opinion on a fighter from another fighter. That's like asking a bunch of bitches their opinion about a super beautiful woman, they already hate her and now you're giving them a chance to spill some of that hate. Dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back