Table top RPG thread: D&D, Pathfinder, GURPs, you name it we'll roleplay it.

ive never really played any table top rpg games, would like to get one. dont think many of me mates would be into it though.

This thread needs to be bumped.

I guess I'm kind of lucky when it comes to this stuff because I have a group of friends that play DnD all the time. If I didn't have that. I don't think I would've ever gotten into DnD. Now that I'm moving, I don't know how it's going to work out anymore, either, because I don't have a car. Maybe I can just start a group. I mean, hell, at my school, quidditch is a fucking club sport.

If people are looking for a new gaming group, visit the local gaming/comic book store, find postings for openings in a game, make some friends with the same interests. I know it's ironic to tell people the best thing to do is be extroverted, out-spoken, and initiate conversation in a hobby usually associated with shy, awkward introverts.

Me and my friends are going to start up shadowrun 5th edition in a few weeks. None of us has ever played anything related to shadowrun so it'll be a learning experience for the entire group. Anyone with shadowrun knowledge have any advice?

If people are looking for a new gaming group, visit the local gaming/comic book store, find postings for openings in a game, make some friends with the same interests. I know it's ironic to tell people the best thing to do is be extroverted, out-spoken, and initiate conversation in a hobby usually associated with shy, awkward introverts.

Me and my friends are going to start up shadowrun 5th edition in a few weeks. None of us has ever played anything related to shadowrun so it'll be a learning experience for the entire group. Anyone with shadowrun knowledge have any advice?

I mean, yes, but no. Because DnD is nerdy, relatively speaking, yes. but you're hanging out with people that you meet in real life. It's WAY less nerdy than playing WoW, or even playing a game like Skyrim with no social aspect whatsoever, or something like that. But for some reason, playing those games is more socially acceptable than playing the equivalent of a board game with people you've met face to face in real life.

Any Cyberpunk 2020 fans? Loved that game, it was easy to play and didn't require a ton of dice.

I mean, yes, but no. Because DnD is nerdy, relatively speaking, yes. but you're hanging out with people that you meet in real life. It's WAY less nerdy than playing WoW, or even playing a game like Skyrim with no social aspect whatsoever, or something like that. But for some reason, playing those games is more socially acceptable than playing the equivalent of a board game with people you've met face to face in real life.

I totally agree. My statement wasn't trying to accuse role-playing as being awkward or introverted. It's amazingly fun, and creative and allows people to perform impromto acting with your friends.

Vin Diesal says better than me.

ogre-nerds.gif

Yes? What do you want?

Oh, is nerd supposed to be an insult?

My GIF-fu is rather weak. If it's not on the first page of google image I don't know it exists.

I"ll start a somewhat regular update on one of my games. I encourage others to join if they wish.

The NWOD bi-weekly group met yesterday from 12:30 to 10:00. That is borderline to long for me. 5 hours is good. After 6, those dinner table chairs are like a torture rack.

Solid gaming session. Very heavy on role play and trying to come up with a plan to take down a demon that is the main enemy of campaign but also way to powerful for our group to just fight. So we are using politics and alliances instead of a head to head. Very fun and interesting. There is a chance that the politics might get so convoluted that it collapses on its self, but so far so good. Only one combat encounter which I wasn't a part of.

Anyone listen to actual play podcasts? I have to admit that I do. I find the fact that you can tune them out and miss very little of the overall story and action perfect for having on while I do paperwork. Most groups/podcasts are god awful. There are a few that I can't listen to because they pass that point of being to interesting and they start to distract me from my paperwork, but most have these long gaps where they go onto un funny tangents for long periods of time. The most interesting one I am CURRENTLY listening to is Gamester's RPG. I like it because it is clear they get on each others nerves sometimes, and the GMing isn't impossible, but is very tough so victory isn't guaranteed.

Played 2nd and 3rd Editions. Not sure how the new mechanics work, but I remember trying to play a decker the first time. Me and the GM were confused as hell by the Matrix rules, but strait real world combat was easy to pick up. As we got used to the game system we'd do a few matrix runs, but mostly real combat.

Can't beat Shadowrun for the setting tough.

anyone looking for another player pm me. i've never played a table-top rpg game, but i've recently become a huge fan of fantasy and am interested in learning how to play d&d and other similar type games.

First Pathfinder session next saturday and like I said earlier in this thread, it's after a 15 year break from playing. We have a group of 4 with a druid, a half-orc barbarian, my cleric and a rogue. I can't wait to be honest. :)

Played 2nd and 3rd Editions. Not sure how the new mechanics work, but I remember trying to play a decker the first time. Me and the GM were confused as hell by the Matrix rules, but strait real world combat was easy to pick up. As we got used to the game system we'd do a few matrix runs, but mostly real combat.

Can't beat Shadowrun for the setting tough.

I've been reading the core book quite a bit and I have a handle on most of the basics for all the various styles- decking, rigging, adepts, mages, technomages, astral plane and matrix. There is a lot to take in, and everyone in my group is brand new to the setting and the system.

The setting is the main appeal. My group has very diverse taste. Some of them hate standard fantasy, others get bored with modern or sci-fi stuff. so Shadowrun is a nice mix of everything so everyone can have something for them.

Have any of you guys listened to the Nerd Poker podcast?

Nerd poker is at least a top three actual play cast soley on the fact that it has the best sound out of all actually play casts. All other actual play casts have shitty ass sound. I think the DM is solid and as far as explaining to listeners what each person is rolling for, it has all the rest beat.

I should add that they make way to many jokes on it for my taste. It reminds me of all the bad jokes made around my table. There is always that one guy that won't shutup with the poor humor which makes the game drag. Nerd poker is a table full of those guys.

Again, I like the DM and like that they kick people out of the room when their character isn't in the scene. It adds to a game IMO.

Conrad you shotblisten to penny arcades podcast when they run games. Ibused toblisten Tobit and its comical. Plus Gabe and tycho are funny as hell

I should add that they make way to many jokes on it for my taste. It reminds me of all the bad jokes made around my table. There is always that one guy that won't shutup with the poor humor which makes the game drag. Nerd poker is a table full of those guys.

Again, I like the DM and like that they kick people out of the room when their character isn't in the scene. It adds to a game IMO.

I have similar feelings, although there are days when the jokes are "on" and it is pretty damn funny.

I have never actually played before, but i am looking to get into it. I guess I should just start at the local pathfinder society days at my LGS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back