Table top RPG thread: D&D, Pathfinder, GURPs, you name it we'll roleplay it.

Conrad

Reaction score
It's been a very long time since we have had a flat out, open thread about Table Top RPGs. So I am starting another with motivation from m25105's thread

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/looking-dungeon-master-d-d-2nd-edition-preferred-2530647/

Go help him out.

What games are you playing? What games do you hate? What are some fun campaign stories? Ever been in a game you just hate? Got any good DM stories? What kinda DM do you hate? If you are a DM what is your thoughts on DMing? Play a little but it wasn't for you?

If it takes part on a table and with dice. I want to hear about it.

I currently am in a World of Darkness campaign as a PC. It meets once every 2 weeks for 8 hours. Set in 1877 New York, it's mostly roleplayer focus with wits and composure check being your main throw. Decent GM and a fun group of people with a pot luck thrown in.

Haven't DMed is years, but I am thinking of running a parhfinder game soon. I like open worlds where PCs can choose their adventure instead of throwing them into a single story. Letting them choose 2-4 arcs is a lot of prep, so maybe that is why I haven't run a game in a while.

What do you got for me

The most fun i had was a warhammer rpg. the combat was simple and fun.

i used to do a wod campaign but that was ages ago. Brujah and ventrue ftw!!!

I haven't gotten into war hammer yet. I have mostly avoided it because most thing war hammer leads to an obsession that I find in healthy.

I've been gaming with the same group of friends that I was in high school. We graduated in 97, so that is a long ass time., Many of us went to college got married, I even joined the military and found gaming groups while deployed even. But now I'm back and picking things up with my old friends.

We usually enjoy more story driven game, even in systems like D20 Modern, or Star Wars Saga, but at the moment, we're playing a very combat dungeon crawling heavy pathfinder game that I am GM'ing. The plan is to level 1-20, with each level up happening after each mission/quest.

We play every weekend, either fri-sun, depending on work, family or shit. So far they level 5 and mid-way though the quest to finish. the 5th level.

the game is very combat heavy and I'm pulling no punches, all my encounters, monsters, and traps are within the CR for the party and they only get 4-5 encounters per game day, and I don't let them rest after each encounter, I try to keep things as organic as possible.

The party is

half-orc fighter. the tank, sword and shield
Elf ranger. he has one level in wizard and is planning on going arcane archer
Human Magus, a nice mix of fighter and wizard
Half elf paladin, bringing the heals and the lawful stupid
Halfing ninja, backstabs and loot stealing

I love the warhammer system, at the last the old 2d10 system that is still used in 40k. I can't stand the fantasy flight new version of warhammer fantasy with all those different dices, they are making a star wars game using that system, but I'll stick to d20 saga.

I've never played the Shadowrun table top games but I would given the right environment. You ever play Fireball Island? I loved that game. That could be like a side quest adventure in rpg format. If you choose a certain route, then you go to fireball island, which is totally negative. If you lose, then some of your equipment or skills or whatever gets taken away. The winner gets the jewel, which houses a random rare item if you exchange it or some kind of a perk if you keep it. Look at me, i'm rambling again.

If you're looking for people online (incase you can't find anyone to play with offline) loads of lfg in reddit and on roll20

220px-Rifts_RPG_1st_Ed_1990.jpg

Me and my friends just started a Pathfinder campaign after about a dozen years away from tabletop games. Our DM has loads of third edition Forgotten Realms books so we chose that as our setting.

Started as a cleric but I think later on I'll grab a few warrior levels for a cleave cleric sort of build.

Never really got into these, just because I never know enough people that wanna play it. Do know my boss plays DnD like crazy, being a huge fan of Baldurs Gate games I would at least like to try it out.

I haven't gotten into war hammer yet. I have mostly avoided it because most thing war hammer leads to an obsession that I find in healthy.

I am one of those people obsessed with warhammer.

I've been gaming with the same group of friends that I was in high school. We graduated in 97, so that is a long ass time., Many of us went to college got married, I even joined the military and found gaming groups while deployed even. But now I'm back and picking things up with my old friends.

We usually enjoy more story driven game, even in systems like D20 Modern, or Star Wars Saga, but at the moment, we're playing a very combat dungeon crawling heavy pathfinder game that I am GM'ing. The plan is to level 1-20, with each level up happening after each mission/quest.

We play every weekend, either fri-sun, depending on work, family or shit. So far they level 5 and mid-way though the quest to finish. the 5th level.

the game is very combat heavy and I'm pulling no punches, all my encounters, monsters, and traps are within the CR for the party and they only get 4-5 encounters per game day, and I don't let them rest after each encounter, I try to keep things as organic as possible.

The party is

half-orc fighter. the tank, sword and shield
Elf ranger. he has one level in wizard and is planning on going arcane archer
Human Magus, a nice mix of fighter and wizard
Half elf paladin, bringing the heals and the lawful stupid
Halfing ninja, backstabs and loot stealing

That's awesome that you guys are back playing. Interesting that you found a military game.

That's awesome that you guys are back playing. Interesting that you found a military game.

There are "RPG-nerds" all over the military. Trick is finding a gaming group you can stand to be around on libo. I'm military myself and unfortunately the only gamers on my last ship I couldn't stand (if I don't put the $500+ worth of gaming books I cart around to use, I know I'm going to have to eventually get rid of them)

Haven't actually played in almost a decade, but have been collecting Pathfinder books. Really good game based on the d20 system, with a good setting that doesn't seem to have any dues ex machination characters like the Forgotten Realms.

The Pathfinder Tales novels are really good so far, with believable tales unlike the Realms for the past 15 or so years, and even the three books to feature repeat characters so far have been stand alone novels, with minimal continuing story arc.

I have two (technically three) consistent gaming groups.

I've been running an Exalted game once or twice a month since first edition initially came out, which is a lot of fun, but the system itself is so broken at the moment. Anxiously awaiting third edition and the supposed balancing of the system. Still a lot of fun due to the stunting mechanics and the fact that Exalted pisses off places like SpaceBattles so, so much.

I've also been a player in a friend's second edition D&D campaign since we were kids. Other people have come and gone, but we've had a solid group for about ten years now. We dabbled in third edition for a while, but keep going back to second. You just can't give up THAC0 after growing up with it.

We put together a mix of the above two groups that is play testing D&D Next, which has been a mixed bag. The system itself has severe issues, but we've had a good time and keep meeting to try things every time they release a new update.

I always wanted to play in a cthulhu campaign based on the d20 system

Back