Table top RPG thread: D&D, Pathfinder, GURPs, you name it we'll roleplay it.

What a hilarious Pathfinder gaming session we just had. We started around 4pm our time and finished up at around 2:30am. Was hectic too since our GM proved to be quite bloodthirsty.

We started out with a pretty basic plot of hunting stragglers from the Goblin Wars which had harassed local farmers in Cormyr and this lead us to a small outpost in the woods. We almost managed to get ourselves killed by a bunch of goblins & spiders since we all missed at least 2 turns in a row. My character only had Divine Favor and one channeling heal left and our group of 3 was down to 7, 3 & 2 HP against 4 goblins & 2 spiders. It actually was a lot of fun to feel threatened by tiny monsters again. :D

So you successfully avoid the level 1 TPK. Those low levels can be so swingy. Nothing like a CR1/4 goblin landing a crit with a heavy crossbow and leaving you bleeding out from full health.

What a hilarious Pathfinder gaming session we just had. We started around 4pm our time and finished up at around 2:30am. Was hectic too since our GM proved to be quite bloodthirsty.

We started out with a pretty basic plot of hunting stragglers from the Goblin Wars which had harassed local farmers in Cormyr and this lead us to a small outpost in the woods. We almost managed to get ourselves killed by a bunch of goblins & spiders since we all missed at least 2 turns in a row. My character only had Divine Favor and one channeling heal left and our group of 3 was down to 7, 3 & 2 HP against 4 goblins & 2 spiders. It actually was a lot of fun to feel threatened by tiny monsters again. :D

Nice. Glad it went well and sounds like chaos which is a lot of fun. It's fun to have a challenging DM. Glad you got back to it.

Hey, so I'm still working on that project with my friend. Now we want to incorporate monster training and pets and stuff. Is there anything in the rulebooks for that? If not, what's the best way to go about it?

Hey, so I'm still working on that project with my friend. Now we want to incorporate monster training and pets and stuff. Is there anything in the rulebooks for that? If not, what's the best way to go about it?

Handle Animal is the skill you'd be using. The player's handbook will cover the uses of the skill for how to train an animal and how many tricks they can learn. Some animals and monsters in the monster manuals will have entries on how much it typically costs to purchase or raise one. If I get a chance I'll try and track down some page numbers for references.

Bump!

So I'm running an E6 d20 modern street level superhero/vigilante game.The characters are either powerless masked vigilante or making use of the supplemental books to gain access to low level powers from psychics abilites, mutation, magic and cybernetics.

E6 is a variant where everyone gets to level 6 as normal, once that point is reached, they stop leveling in the traditional sense. HP, AC, BAB, saves... all remain the same. When it is time for a character to advance, they get all the other features of leveling, new class talents, new feats, skill points... but the core number bonuses stay put.

I am allowing the players to have a +1 they receive at each level. this +1 can be assigned to any numerical stat (BAB, AC, Saves, HP) this allows the players to work on reaching those higher level feats if they focus all of there attention on BAB at the expensive of defense and saves, and helps make the character sheet not stagnate.

This represents a somewhat normal human who is not gaining more power but more knowledge and skill. Think of Batman, he realistically is no different physical from a hard boiled thug. What makes batman better is his training, his feats and skills and talents he has required. His HP is still the same as the Thug and he can be dropped just as easily. This makes combat stay in the low to mid level ranges of the D20 scale. A gun can still hurt and the street level vigilante's have to be aware of that. But when Batman fights Deathstroke, a human with the same training, knowledge and has gathered his own collection of talents and feats, the combat is brutal and faster but on the same scale.

So far, the players are really enjoying it. Combat isn't some long grind trying to chew through 100 points of HP. Cover and concealment is really important, and allowing them to place a +1 into one stat only gives each player a chance to diversify their sheet from their party members, instead of everyone leveling on the same curve, sure it'll make some widely different AC or attack scores, but if a player puts everything into one stat and neglects the other stuff, he'll either be a glass cannon that hits everything but is going to get right back, or an untouchable AC monster who can't hit shit.

I've been checking out some of the retro clones.
BFRPG, Osric, Swords and Wizardry... seem really neat.

I've always been interested. Read a lot of fantasy and most of my first paperbacks were TSR/WotC/D&D stuff. Played the video games (Baldur's Gate, etc.) Couldn't meet enough like-minded folk to try the table top game. Got my sister and cousins together for a game of HeroQuest... once. My comic shop closed asznd the new one had game nights but Magic was more popular and family life and all that. Got the 5th Edition player handbook for free on my phone. What's sadder than a D&D nerd? A wannabe D&D nerd.

Back