Submission Master Grappling Dummy

Right now its legs are so tight together that I have to sit on its knees to close my guard.

sounds like a girlfriend i used to have.

i'm curious to see how this thing turns out, will you post a review of it once it's all broken in?

Originally Posted by asphyxia View Post
I'm hoping he'll develop a better base as his legs loosen up.

Just had to quote to give this more love.

I just decided , i will try to build my own grappling dummy.
I was never good with my hands and the last thing i fabricated has to be something in kindergarten, so this is gonna be fun.

just get a real doll.

you can hook up with it after you practiced submissions on it.

its great for when your girlfriend is "too tired."

Ive always been interested in getting a dummy, just never seen one of good quality. How has it been so far? WHat other exercises do you besides drilling technique? Seeing as how you have a 7lb "person", I would imagine you could do some leg workouts and position drilling.

I know some people say just go to class its better, but there are days you just cant get to the gym, whats wrong with having a station where to cause practice movement?

submission master grappling dummy!!! its the best out there!! i suggest you get one..
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I'm a starter but I regularly watch instructional videos. I think Submission grappling dummy lets me try to emulate the moves. For me it's a good start. lets me find a good cardio base and after a busy days work, it's a great stress reliever. I would probably get one if Im starting bjj or mma classes. You cannot remember all the things the instructor tells you. It'll serves as my review session of the moves I learned....

The company has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. With all the responses I thought this would be a good purchase but so far the dealing with the company has only been bad. They are bush league. Zebra Mats is a much more reputable company who just released a dummy. BUYER BEWARE!

Make a dummy. there are tutorials out there on how to do it. Materials will set you back about a bill.

Anyone have a zebra dummy? Haven't seen any real reviews of it online

Here's an idea....

Why don't you just buy a hooded boilersuit, fill it up with old clothes and sew up all the open ends?

Really cheap. If you want it heavy, fill it up with denim clothes.

Just an idea.

Edit: If u want it to be maneuverable into different positions, you could stick a skeleton in the centre of the clothes made from heavy duty electrical wire...

It would work out a little more expensive though.

Last edited:
The company has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. With all the responses I thought this would be a good purchase but so far the dealing with the company has only been bad. They are bush league. Zebra Mats is a much more reputable company who just released a dummy. BUYER BEWARE!

I know this is a year old, but I wanted to ask you who you bought it from? There's a few places you can buy this dummy. From EBAY, Amazon, Submissionmaster.net, to the actual manufacture Proboxingequipment.com. Evidently the guy who you see on Youtube reviewing it (Bob Dorris), has nothing to do with the manufacture, but is simply a middle man.

Anyone used this submission master grappling dummy yet? Should I buy one? I don't know if it's worth the money for 500 bucks. If not, then I'll just train the old fashion way, with real training partners that are real people.

Last edited:
Anyone used this submission master grappling dummy yet? Should I buy one? I don't know if it's worth the money for 500 bucks. If not, then I'll just train the old fashion way, with real training partners that are real people.

Yes. I own a Submission Master Grappling Dummy. I don't work for them in anyway, shape or form.

Question: Should I buy one?

Answer: Can't answer that for you. I can say that other than Ryan Hall's Back Attacks and Arm Triangles DVDs, it is the single best purchase I've made towards my success as a grappler. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy another immediately.
If you do buy one, you should buy cheap tatami mats and a Gi for it as well (unless you do no-gi, of course.)

If not, then I'll just train the old fashion way, with real training partners that are real people.

Answer: There is no replacement for real training partners that are real people. I train with real people 6 days per week. The reality is, if you want to improve or reach a high level, you have to drill on your own.
The main benefits are that you can use the dummy to drill the core fundamentals into your muscle memory. The 2nd benefit is that I retain more stuff that I learn in class because I write down the finer details and drill it at least 100x per week.
I bring it with me as a warmup on the mornings of all tournaments that are within 8 hours of my home as well.

Bottom line: If you're discipline and a do-it-yourself-er in terms of BJJ, a grappling dummy will help you improve by leaps and bounds, no joke.
I'm seeing more results now that I'm reading books on drilling properly from respected guys on the circuit.

If this is an emotional purchase, then it will collect dust. Simple as that.

what kind of drills do you do with it mrshadeed

what kind of drills do you do with it mrshadeed

Ok, Rturo. Below is a small section from my actual drills routine. This is done in addition to reinforcing the techniques that I learned from each class session.
I use a cheap Gi for the Grappling dummy so that I can work grips while doing certain guard passes.
Every drilling workout doesn't include these exact drills, I have a much longer list depending on what areas I need to improve and getting ready for tournaments etc.
This is to give you an idea of what is possible.

A drill workout can be as short as 15 minutes if I need to get to work at a certain time or as long as 2 hours if I'm following a specific list. As long as I'm doing *something* Jiu-Jitsu related, I'm getting ahead because most guys do nothing outside of class.

I cannot stress how much of a big difference this has made to improving my overall grappling game.

Guard Passes
Open Guard Pass to Knee On Belly 3 sets , 20 reps
Open Guard Stack Pass 3 sets , 30 reps
Open Guard Step Thru Pass 3 sets, 40 reps
Closed Guard Knee Cut Pass 3 sets , 20 reps

Transitions
Side Control to Knee on Belly to Mount 1 set, 15 reps
Side Control to Kesa Gatame 1 set, 20 reps
Kesa Gatame to Kata Gatame (Arm Triangle) 1 set, 20 reps

Sweeps
Scissor Sweep
Hip Bump Sweep
Hip Bump to Kimura

Submissions
Baseball choke from Knee on Belly 1 set, 15 reps
Cross Choke from Mount 1 set, 20 reps
Armbar from Mount 1 set 20 reps
Arm Triangle Setup and finish (I repeat a sequence I learned in Private lessons)
Ezekiel Catch Drill (from Keenan Cornelius video) 1 set , 50 reps
Bow and Arrow from Back attack 1 set , 15 reps
Armbar from Back Attack 1 set , 10 reps

Back Attacks (Drills from Ryan Hall's Back Attacks DVD)
Spin Behind 3 sets , 25 reps
Seat Belt Grip 2 sets 15 reps
Double Under Grip 1 set , 20 reps

Here's an idea....

Why don't you just buy a hooded boilersuit, fill it up with old clothes and sew up all the open ends?

Really cheap. If you want it heavy, fill it up with denim clothes.

Just an idea.

Edit: If u want it to be maneuverable into different positions, you could stick a skeleton in the centre of the clothes made from heavy duty electrical wire...

It would work out a little more expensive though.

Grappling dummys are not ideal for Jiu Jitsu players who are struggling to make ends meet. It's a luxury, an excellent "nice-to-have" for people who can afford them. You do not need one to get better at Jiu Jitsu, it will just take a whole lot longer.

I've found that the people who benefit most from owning them tend to be guys 30 and over with families and long work hours. It allows them to work on Jiu Jitsu movements when they can't make it to the gym and reinforce techniques that they learn in practice.

An Engineering student or someone who is handy can easily make a variation of a grappling dummy. For adults who don't have the time to figure that out and have the $ to spend, grappling dummy is the perfect solution.

Do you have any tips on how to loosen up the legs so that it can sit in base? I got the dummy a while back and (typical) haven't really used it much other than some top game stuff. I spent a week just trying to loosen it up like he said in the video but no luck. I even tried sitting in between the legs while watching TV, but that also didn't seem to really do that much. He says on the video to not take any stuffing out, but right now I just find it completely useless for anything guard-related (which is a lot of what I want to work on).

Thanks for posting your routine. Very helpful.

Do you have any tips on how to loosen up the legs so that it can sit in base? I got the dummy a while back and (typical) haven't really used it much other than some top game stuff. I spent a week just trying to loosen it up like he said in the video but no luck. I even tried sitting in between the legs while watching TV, but that also didn't seem to really do that much. He says on the video to not take any stuffing out, but right now I just find it completely useless for anything guard-related (which is a lot of what I want to work on).

Thanks for posting your routine. Very helpful.

No problem. To loosen the legs, What I do before every workout is literally push down on the legs (while it is in Open Guard) with all of my body weight. "Breaking the dummy in" takes a while and you're going to go through a period where the legs feel like cement and they're not moveable.

It wasn't until I started *Really* drilling everyday that I saw the legs loosen up.
In short, it will take time and usage to loosen the legs, but I can tell you, that they will
become more 'flexible'.

I also position the dummy to sit in a kneeling position straight up by resting the arms on a flat surface when I'm not using it. This helps the legs loosen up too and will help maintain the dummy in a base position. I do a lot of closed guard work with the dummy so this was a mandatory process for me. Hope this helps.

Back