Submission Master Grappling Dummy

Ok, Rturo. Below is a small section from my actual drills routine. This is done in addition to reinforcing the techniques that I learned from each class session.
I use a cheap Gi for the Grappling dummy so that I can work grips while doing certain guard passes.
Every drilling workout doesn't include these exact drills, I have a much longer list depending on what areas I need to improve and getting ready for tournaments etc.
This is to give you an idea of what is possible.

A drill workout can be as short as 15 minutes if I need to get to work at a certain time or as long as 2 hours if I'm following a specific list. As long as I'm doing *something* Jiu-Jitsu related, I'm getting ahead because most guys do nothing outside of class.

I cannot stress how much of a big difference this has made to improving my overall grappling game.

Guard Passes
Open Guard Pass to Knee On Belly 3 sets , 20 reps
Open Guard Stack Pass 3 sets , 30 reps
Open Guard Step Thru Pass 3 sets, 40 reps
Closed Guard Knee Cut Pass 3 sets , 20 reps

Transitions
Side Control to Knee on Belly to Mount 1 set, 15 reps
Side Control to Kesa Gatame 1 set, 20 reps
Kesa Gatame to Kata Gatame (Arm Triangle) 1 set, 20 reps

Sweeps
Scissor Sweep
Hip Bump Sweep
Hip Bump to Kimura

Submissions
Baseball choke from Knee on Belly 1 set, 15 reps
Cross Choke from Mount 1 set, 20 reps
Armbar from Mount 1 set 20 reps
Arm Triangle Setup and finish (I repeat a sequence I learned in Private lessons)
Ezekiel Catch Drill (from Keenan Cornelius video) 1 set , 50 reps
Bow and Arrow from Back attack 1 set , 15 reps
Armbar from Back Attack 1 set , 10 reps

Back Attacks (Drills from Ryan Hall's Back Attacks DVD)
Spin Behind 3 sets , 25 reps
Seat Belt Grip 2 sets 15 reps
Double Under Grip 1 set , 20 reps

I just did all the above you listed with a training partner and it cost us nothing. I change my mind. I'm not going to waste the money on a grappling dummy. A dummy isn't worth the money and it will create bad habits since it's not resisting at all and it's not giving you any feed backs. If you're doing something wrong, at least a training partner can tell you what's going on. There's absolutely no replacement for a training partner that's a real person.

I just did all the above you listed with a training partner and it cost us nothing. I change my mind. I'm not going to waste the money on a grappling dummy. A dummy isn't worth the money and it will create bad habits since it's not resisting at all and it's not giving you any feed backs. If you're doing something wrong, at least a training partner can tell you what's going on. There's absolutely no replacement for a training partner that's a real person.

The best case scenario is to find a training partner that has similar goals and drill as much as possible. Since it seems that you found that scenario, you're on the right path. Congrats.

On Tuesdays, Thurs, and Sat, I work with a couple guys on nothing but drilling, but I'm obsessed with improvement and need every resource that I can get, which lead me to purchase a grappling dummy.

Grappling dummies are certainly not for everyone. With my lifestyle, responsibilities, and work schedule, I need to use very early mornings, late nights, in order to get the reps in that I need to improve at the rate that I set for my personal standard.
I can't call one of the guys from the gym to drill at 4 am or 11:30pm, so for me, I feel I'm losing opportunities to improve.

I totally agree with you that there is no replacement for an experienced training partner that is a real person. Grappling dummies are NOT substitutes for rolling, attending practice, but, it is an **amazing** tool for reinforcing techniques from practice, and building muscle memory on position, transitions, and submissions. It's a big part of my training regimen.

i live in new zealand and brought the maximus dummy when it was on sale. (http://www.spartanequip.com/products/maximus/)

its pretty good for drilling outside of class, but obviously there are limitations.
NO dummy is going to have the range of motion of a real person without being a floppy pillow.
Obviously the dummy cant move on its own so certain techniques (especially defense/escapes) really cant be drilled well or at all. i.e you cant scissor sweep then tell the dummy to base out then do the knee push variation etc.
Also a dummy cant tell you which choke worked better/give feedback and sometimes the base and posture is unrealistic to what a person would do.
As others have said dummies are ridiculously expensive, and in hindsight if i could do it all over i would probably try to make one first, if you consider buying one i suggest you do this 1st, to get a feel for what you can and cant do and how often you will use it.

what i really like about the maximus dummy is the realism of the joints, they function pretty realistically, which definately helps as a reminder to correct your technique.

what i find the dummy most useful for is refining techniques i have trouble with while drilling, eg. getting the hooks in from turtle.
its also good for getting back home after rolling to "revisit" certain techniques/positions you did poorly or could have done better in.
i find it really handy for watching instructionals/youtube clips and being able to practice on before trying them in class.
sometimes its also nice just to have a somewhat realistic body to experiment with different possibilities/options in different, usually more unusual positions/scrambles (sounds dodgy af i know:icon_lol:).

in my opinion its helpful if your a white belt to lessen the learning curve, build up muscle memory and build flexibility/reaction time on some gross motor movements. especially if your busy (like me!), however i still train at the gym 3-5 times a week so i dont use it as much as i thought i would, 1-3 times a week about 1/2-1 hour at a time (in other words real people are much better to train with!). if your a blue belt or above it would probably be a waste of time outside of very specific situations or techniques. and btw dummies are definately MUCH better and more convenient for practicing top game rather than guard or bottom game!

I dont regret buying the dummy, it has definitely helped my game but related to the price its probably not worth it for alot of people. then again finding committed and like minded drilling partners with a good schedule is easier said than done. so i wouldnt tell anyone to buy or not to buy a dummy, because i cant, its different for everyones situation, just giving my experience and 2 cents :)

I called www.proboxingequipment.com today and they said that they are the original manufacturer of the submission master grappling dummy.The difference in buying one through them vs www.grapplingdummy.net is they have improved on the dummy to a point that you don't have to loosen up the hips.

Just got one from grapplingdummy.net. It's pretty stiff. Let ya know what I think after a week or so.

I bought one off of craigslist. I'm considering taking the stuffing out so I can fit the dummy in a suitcase and take it in my checked luggage back to Europe.

Is this a bad idea?

Can anyone comment on the difficulty of re-stuffing the dummy and whether it would still be as good as before?

It would help more than not having one. You can build your own dummy (check youtube for videos) for pretty cheap as well. I was thinking of doing this because it's hard to find anyone who is that dedicated to training.

Bumping this because I'm basically the ideal customer right now for one of these things. (I got myself in some trouble and will be spending the next 4.5 months confined to my house under house arrest)

There are a few of these things on the market right now ranging in price from $550 to as low as $110: http://www.celebritamma.com/grappli...m_DssDVwb77K0oKJuOJp2X7V0gBAEsFYEkaAuvL8P8HAQ

Hell, even walmart sells one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/43854048?...75035&wl11=online&wl12=43854048&wl13=&veh=sem

Anyone have any recommendations? I just set up a gym in my basement with a 12x12 ft area topped with 1.5" professional quality wrestling mats and am trying to find some training partners, but I'm sure that's not gonna be easy to do and I want to train as much as I can while I'm stuck at home.

Back