Submission Master Grappling Dummy

asphyxia

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anyone with positive or negative experiences with these?
Submission Master Grappling Dummy/ Jiu Jitsu Dummy For BJJ & MMA

My reason for purchase: I'm sick of having to think through moves as I'm doing them while rolling. I want each technique to be a natural response to the actions of my opponent.

I have a very good work ethic and know that if drilling on the dummy helps me (even a little bit) then I'll religiously do it everyday. When my instructor told me that I wasn't flexible I began stretching for an hour every day. When I began playing guitar I played/practiced scales for a minimum of 6 hours/day for approximately 4 years.

I also believe that even though the dummy sells for $500 I would probably be able to resell it for at least $350 (I'm in San Diego, BJJ capital of the US). A $150-200 loss wouldn't be too significant, especially if I were able to perfect and make more fluid some of the techniques I'm not efficient at.

I can't get anyone to let me practice 100 armbars on each side. I'd like to use the dummy to go through what I've just learned in class a few more times to solidify it in my head.

I'm afraid of developing bad habits. I will of course be also rolling with real people on a daily basis but will use the dummy to perfect my technique (go through it slowly - slow is fast, fast is slow mindset) in order to program myself. I want to develop muscle memory and have each attack be reactive and in response to what my opponent gives. In order to develop this responsiveness I believe you must be comfortable enough with the technique in order to do it without thinking smoothly and effectively.

Are there any better dummies out there or is this basically the best for submissions?

I don't care how immature this sounds.... but

I have soooooo many dirty thoughts going through my head....... put a wig on it.....wait nevermind

wtf? :icon_conf

I was talking to my GF and told her I wanted the dummy because if ever she didn't want to roll with me (she does BJJ as well) then I could just go masturbate in the bedroom with the dummy. Metaphorically of course!

I gotta say that one looks pretty good compared to other dummies. I wonder if after a while it loses its stiffness.

Yeah, the only one I've seen that even comes close is the Maximus dummy but I think that may only be shipped within New Zealand. I like the fact that it has joints, however, it doesn't really look like it postures up in your guard.

the submission master looks very good because its legs and arms stay in the same position. i have the bubba 2 and i am really not happy with it because it doesnt stay where you want it to

the submission master looks very good because its legs and arms stay in the same position. i have the bubba 2 and i am really not happy with it because it doesnt stay where you want it to

hmm... I just ordered a bubba 2.

Bubba

I have one- I dont use it as much as I should- its hard to break in- but I broke mine in- Id recommend you have at least 15 x 15 feet space and mats if you plan on buying one- I also would recommend knee pads and an extra gi.

An A5 would be ideal for it. I use it mostly for top game- and its punched me in the face really hard before when attempting a reverse omoplata.

I have one- I dont use it as much as I should- its hard to break in- but I broke mine in- Id reccomnd you have at least 20 x 20 feet space and mats if you plan on buying one- I also would reccomend knee pads and an extra gi.

Why would I need that big of an area? That's ridiculous!
I'm going to have approx. 10x10 of mat space.

its not enough mat space- hes like the equivalent of someone 6'4" and even though mine weighs 93- its dead weight- more like a 225 lb guy. And he doesnt move or avoid objects- so his length and you're length at all times in a circle = about 10 feet- and thats without you moving around him too

its not enough mat space- hes like the equivalent of someone 6'4" and even though mine weighs 93- its dead weight- more like a 225 lb guy. And he doesnt move or avoid objects- so his length and you're length at all times in a circle = about 10 feet- and thats without you moving around him too

what kind of crazy stuff are you doing with it?

I just plan on drilling submissions/transitions..

What made you choose the bubba 2 over the submission master?

I didn't have a really good reason... other than it looked higher quality to me. Plus it has joints and hands with fingers (which is good for practicing wrist control on armbars i thought). It only weighs 45 lbs... but I figured I could easily add weight if I wanted it to be heavier.

idk... i wish i could have tried them both before buying one.

Its good for guard passing, top game stuff- but not so good for working your guard, half guard, butterfly guard- and you need space- that thing makes you sweat just heaving around its weight- It is a bitch to position even on its knees.

Its good for guard passing, top game stuff- but not so good for working your guard, half guard, butterfly guard- and you need space- that thing makes you sweat just heaving around its weight- It is a bitch to position even on its knees.

Yeah, I just received it today and messed with it for a few hours.
If it falls over in your guard its a pain in the ass to get it to stand back up.
It's super stiff right now but I'm hoping that it'll loosen up. Its torso feels huge between my legs. I can lightly drill triangles, armbars, omoplatas, kimuras without it falling over but if I did it combat speed the dummy would fall over. I'm hoping he'll develop a better base as his legs loosen up. I have his legs spread apart by some books right now and I'll leave it like that until tomorrow so we'll see if I can fit my butt between its legs while its in my closed guard. Right now its legs are so tight together that I have to sit on its knees to close my guard.

Once its legs loosen up I think it'll be really useful for practicing guard passing :icon_chee

I'm hoping he'll develop a better base as his legs loosen up.

yeah, your dummy should be a solid blue belt with a little yoga practice.

seriously, I can't believe these things exist and are actually purchased. It's like "go to class, man... you're paying for it." You can just as soon cross-train with weight lifting, swimming or running and improve your game as well.

Hey Asphyxia

I am looking at purchasing the submission master

How is your training going with it now that youve had it since May?

Would you recommend buying one??

I used to grapple 5-6 x a week, I have recently had to move due to work and am really finding it hard to get in the practice - and feel my game is being effected big time.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I made one out of pvc, heavy electrical wire, tennis balls for joints, a foam pad, and duct tape. Then I put the guy in a full body wetsuit. I ran the wire skeleton through the entire thing, and out of his head as a hook. It is fully posable, it can be hung by his hook for drilling takedowns. I built in about 2 hours in 2004. I have only had to fix it once (his wire skeleton arm got too twisted and finally broke).

It only weighs about 40 pounds which is the only downside. I thought about putting a weight vest on him but he would be too top heavy then.

I actually think it is superior to the Bubba we have at the gym.

Back