Street Fighter V v3: WTF Capcom?

Will an American take EVO this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
need to get my PS plus back on so i can play, hopefully the next character released is a grappler, but i'm sure that's going to the big silhouette guy

has there ever been a fighting game where grapplers ruled the meta?

Ring of Destruction: Saturday Night Slam Masters II. :D

Speaking of Slam Masters, the special CA KO animation for Gief, Alex, and Birdie were inspired by that game.

need to get my PS plus back on so i can play, hopefully the next character released is a grappler, but i'm sure that's going to the big silhouette guy

has there ever been a fighting game where grapplers ruled the meta?

You know, I've read that they have to be real careful balancing grapplers because they can become too strong (See R.Mika). I believe there was a SF where Gief was broken because of the balancing. @Cyke_out would probably be better suited to answer that question.

You know, I've read that they have to be real careful balancing grapplers because they can become too strong (See R.Mika). I believe there was a SF where Gief was broken because of the balancing. @Cyke_out would probably be better suited to answer that question.

I think he was really great in SFEX+@, but I don't remember him ever being "broken." I know he was good in HF, Alpha 3 (V), and Vanilla SF4.

Last edited:
I think he was really great in SFEX+@, but I don't remember him ever being "broken." I know he was good in HF, Alpha 3 (V), and Vanilla SF4.

Right on. I just remembered reading in one game he was really OPd. I guess it would have to have been one of those because I'm not sure if they did balance changes on earlier SF's.

Right on. I just remembered reading in one game he was really OPd. I guess it would have to have been one of those because I'm not sure if they did balance changes on earlier SF's.

Arcade games had revisions back then too. Mortal Kombat 2 had a lot of hilarious shit in some of them, lol.

Arcade games had revisions back then too. Mortal Kombat 2 had a lot of hilarious shit in some of them, lol.

Oh wow, I didn't even think there would be a reason for balance changes on old 90's arcades.

Did they do this because of a tournament scene or did they do it just for fun?

Tournament scenes weren't big back then. Stuff like that needed to be dealt with though. That was an earlier revision and a lot of that crap was removed.

A lot of fighting games had dumb shit, but that doesn't mean they weren't fun.

Last edited:
i hate when I use Zangief and get thrown around by some wimpy character. Gief should be immune to most throws.

I decided to start playing again. I figured I'd give it a fresh start with Akuma; the first night that I took him into ranked I dropped nearly 2k points. Lucky for me I'm trash and never got out of silver anyway. It's actually easier to play against people in silver than in bronze, I think, because some silver players are trying to play properly so you can abuse things like tick throws.

Really, though, I'm just awful. Every time I punish some unsafe move with nothing more than a crouching medium kick makes me want to throw my stick out the window.

I decided to start playing again. I figured I'd give it a fresh start with Akuma; the first night that I took him into ranked I dropped nearly 2k points. Lucky for me I'm trash and never got out of silver anyway. It's actually easier to play against people in silver than in bronze, I think, because some silver players are trying to play properly so you can abuse things like tick throws.

Really, though, I'm just awful. Every time I punish some unsafe move with nothing more than a crouching medium kick makes me want to throw my stick out the window.

Who do you use? I would set Ryu as the dummy and have him repeat DP's and practice punishing those. Without meter, with meter and using V-trigger. Then move on to cancelling your punish to Critical Art. Also, pick up Gief's Gym. I got it on my ipad for like $3. I haven't done many of the trainings, but its a great resource to help you build muscle memory. I'll probably start dipping into it myself in a little while. Welcome back by the way. A couple of us play in battle lounges once in a while and there are some very knowledgeable people in here to help you out with any questions.

That being said, whos up for battle lounges tonight, say 6:00pm PST?

Who do you use? I would set Ryu as the dummy and have him repeat DP's and practice punishing those. Without meter, with meter and using V-trigger. Then move on to cancelling your punish to Critical Art. Also, pick up Gief's Gym. I got it on my ipad for like $3. I haven't done many of the trainings, but its a great resource to help you build muscle memory. I'll probably start dipping into it myself in a little while. Welcome back by the way. A couple of us play in battle lounges once in a while and there are some very knowledgeable people in here to help you out with any questions.

That being said, whos up for battle lounges tonight, say 6:00pm PST?

I was gonna jump on 3rd Strike since I redownloaded fcade, but Im down.

Ggs. Sorry about leaving the set. I didn't even mean to start another one, but I figured I'd play two with Alex.

Dude its all good, its always fun playing you. We probably played over 20 sets. But I learn a lot in those long ones. I was kind of bummed I only hit you in 1 hit confirm to CA (cr.mk > hado > CA). I tried some others, but they didn't come out. Trying to hit that st.mp > hado > CA can get rough, but its so worth the confirm halfway through the fight. You used your CA early on in the round with Nash though. I figured you'd use a bar or two before blowing me up with it. GG's.

Dude its all good, its always fun playing you. We probably played over 20 sets. But I learn a lot in those long ones. I was kind of bummed I only hit you in 1 hit confirm to CA (cr.mk > hado > CA). I tried some others, but they didn't come out. Trying to hit that st.mp > hado > CA can get rough, but its so worth the confirm halfway through the fight. You used your CA early on in the round with Nash though. I figured you'd use a bar or two before blowing me up with it. GG's.

You build meter so fast that I don't even worry about it sometimes, lol.

I noticed you anti-air with the DP a few times. I was thinking, "Wait a minute! He never doesn't that!" lol.

In SFA2 if you use "classic" Gief he had no super but also no missed grab animation. Was sickening.

Back