Stock Portfolios V2

My old man got into ren tech so I'm pretty chuffed about that they had some steep requirements but the returns are worth it.

just checking in to say my shares of Nvidia have been going apeshit. Making my Activision stock looks scrubtastic by comparison

good times

just checking in to say my shares of Nvidia have been going apeshit. Making my Activision stock looks scrubtastic by comparison

good times

Yeah Nvidia has been going nuts lately. I've seen some articles lately stating that it should be in a young investor's portfolio. On year ago it was $56, and today it's $160+. I'd totally sell some and invest elsewhere, like I did with Visa.

I hope Tesla has a great showing for there upcoming car model this Friday. I got 10k invested in them..

I hope Tesla has a great showing for there upcoming car model this Friday. I got 10k invested in them..

Man, I really wish I would have put $10k into them back when they went IPO. $1k would be worth nearly $18k now, so $10k would hit $180k. Nuts.

Man, I really wish I would have put $10k into them back when they went IPO. $1k would be worth nearly $18k now, so $10k would hit $180k. Nuts.

Ya, I love their ideas but their stocks can dip and raise in a heartbeat.

I bought them around $300. The highest it reached was $380 a few weeks ago. It's sitting around $345 right now though. I'm hoping it can break $400 in the next couple months.

The problem though is that if I should short sell it or keep it long term..

Yeah Nvidia has been going nuts lately. I've seen some articles lately stating that it should be in a young investor's portfolio. On year ago it was $56, and today it's $160+. I'd totally sell some and invest elsewhere, like I did with Visa.
I had bought like 5k of NFLX prior, sold it when it went up to 125ish, and then put all that equally into NVDA and ATVI (about a year and a half ago IIRC).....this is my Roth where I'm much more ballsy and less diversified compared to my TSP and 401k

The sheer thought of that capital gains tax is the only reason I haven't moved any of it. Plus, well the NAVs keep rising

I had bought like 5k of NFLX prior, sold it when it went up to 125ish, and then put all that equally into NVDA and ATVI (about a year and a half ago IIRC).....this is my Roth where I'm much more ballsy and less diversified compared to my TSP and 401k

The sheer thought of that capital gains tax is the only reason I haven't moved any of it. Plus, well the NAVs keep rising

If it's in a Roth, no need to be concerned about capital gains.

If it's in a Roth, no need to be concerned about capital gains.
well shit good luck
i thought you still had to pay capital gains on any PROFITs, obviously not what you put in since it's already taxed
edit: nevermind, that's only if you withdraw it early and not reinvest. No clue what I was tripping on

Last edited:
well shit good luck
i thought you still had to pay capital gains on any PROFITs, obviously not what you put in since it's already taxed
edit: nevermind, that's only if you withdraw it early and not reinvest. No clue what I was tripping on

Yup, any transaction within a Roth you shouldn't have worries. There are very minor exceptions to this, like returns of investments found in MLPs, some REITs, etc, but otherwise, capital gains has no concern. Sell, and invest in something else.

Yup, any transaction within a Roth you shouldn't have worries. There are very minor exceptions to this, like returns of investments found in MLPs, some REITs, etc, but otherwise, capital gains has no concern. Sell, and invest in something else.
i was pretty heavy into REITS before the threat of raising the interest rate.
been considering getting back in, but unsure if i wanted to stay in say MREITs or more medical or industrial based ones
any thoughts?

i was pretty heavy into REITS before the threat of raising the interest rate.
been considering getting back in, but unsure if i wanted to stay in say MREITs or more medical or industrial based ones
any thoughts?

I own O, OHI and HCP so I believe in REITS. mREITS may have great yields, but their business is pretty risky.

O is diversified across a wide variety of customer segments, and is a leading NNN REIT. It also pays monthly dividends.
OHI is healthcare, and with our aging population, it can only grow. Good article here.
HCP is another healthcare REIT, and it's the only dividend aristocrat REIT (25+ years of increasing divs). Good article here.

How are you guys buying shares? Do you use an online broker?

I use TD Ameritrade, and have 4 accounts with them (my Roth and rollover IRA, same for wife). I buy shares inside of those, and they have a great selection of commission free ETFs if you want to invest in those too (must hold for 30 days, most of the time). My 401k is with T. Rowe Price, and I'm stuck with them for now. A lot of the brokerage houses will be the same for nearly everything. TD Ameritrade, E-Trade, Schwab, Merrill, Trade King, etc. all have the same features and everything you need to successfully invest. It's really who you're most comfortably with, and trading now only costs $4.95-$6.95 for most places.

I'm about to open an individual account (or joint tenants WROS with my wife) for playing around. Forex, margin, etc. can only be done here, not in IRAs.

There are other places like computershare.com that allow you to DRIP in individual, direct purchase stock plans. https://www-us.computershare.com/Investor/3x/Plans/PlansList.asp?bhjs=1&fla=1&cc=us&lang=en

Bought MSFT in my wife's Roth, and maxed out my Roth this year with a final purchase and new entry into Lowes. I sold WFC in July, added to my WSM and GIS positions. I'll be maxing out my wife's Roth later in the year, and I'm not sure what I'll purchase just yet, but I have my eyes on KMB, CL, CLX, KR, DPS, QCOM, AAPL, MCD, CBRL, CAH, HD, and TROW. I converted MO from my wife's IRA to her Roth earlier this year, and added to it as it's been beaten down, and have added to her TGT position because it's been hammered this year. I have $2k to go to max her out, and I may just add it all to MSFT as it's a small position right now.

I ended up not taking that job, so additions will only be through the $5500 limit per year for now. I'm trying to lobby for my 401k to have stocks as an option instead of just MFs, but I think I'm in the very minority here and it won't happen.

Trad. IRA
WMT BDX HCP O T V GIS WSM VZ APD

Roth
JNJ MMM PG OHI KO LOW

Wife Roth
TGT MO MSFT

Wife IRA
PEP LMT

Top holdings: JNJ, T, MO, PEP

I like to track stats too, so here's some interesting ones:
Average Yield 3.16%
Weighted Avg Dividend Growth 6.76%
Roth Yield 3.10%
Trad Yield 3.19%
Beta 0.68

So all the investment yields taken together grow at 6.76% per year. Imagine getting that as a raise per year! 3.16% yield overall, growing at 6.76% per year is great, and I'm happy with it, along with a beta of 0.68 for low volatility. I dig it.

Realized I had my calculations wrong due to row additions, and OHI's dividend wasn't correct. I made sure every dividend was updated, and every growth rate was around the 5 year div growth rate.

Updated stats:
Average Yield 3.40%
Weighted Avg Growth 6.65%
Roth Yield 3.62%
Trad Yield 3.25%
Beta 0.68

If I got a 6.6% annual increase in salary each year I'd be happy!

Is bear market coming?

On another note, bought 10 Baba stocks when it was $138 about 6 weeks ago. Now it's almost at $170.

I'm starting late on investing but I did the math and if I max out the IRA every year until I'm 62, my gain would be around $900k. Shit is crazy but motivates me to save more - even though I'm already pretty conservative.

Is bear market coming?

On another note, bought 10 Baba stocks when it was $138 about 6 weeks ago. Now it's almost at $170.

I'm starting late on investing but I did the math and if I max out the IRA every year until I'm 62, my gain would be around $900k. Shit is crazy but motivates me to save more - even though I'm already pretty conservative.

That's a nice $300 gain on BABA.

What do you mean your gain would be $900k? What are your assumptions here?

If I max out my Roth each year until 62, assuming the extra $1k bump after 50 years of age, I'd invest $160,500 more than I have now (I'm 36). Now if you're talking 401k, where the max employee contribution is $18k under 50 years of age, and $24k over 50 years of age, then I can kinda see where you may get those numbers.

I think a correction is coming, but not a bear market. Our overall p/e is way too high vs historic norms, and this bull market has run a long time.

That's a nice $300 gain on BABA.

What do you mean your gain would be $900k? What are your assumptions here?

If I max out my Roth each year until 62, assuming the extra $1k bump after 50 years of age, I'd invest $160,500 more than I have now (I'm 36). Now if you're talking 401k, where the max employee contribution is $18k under 50 years of age, and $24k over 50 years of age, then I can kinda see where you may get those numbers.

I think a correction is coming, but not a bear market. Our overall p/e is way too high vs historic norms, and this bull market has run a long time.

Assumption is based off 2 websites and average growth. Putting in $5,500 per year until I'm 62:

https://www.daveramsey.com/smartvestor/investment-calculator

Assumption is based off 2 websites and average growth. Putting in $5,500 per year until I'm 62:

https://www.daveramsey.com/smartvestor/investment-calculator

Average growth of what? Large cap? Small cap? Age blend? That calculator asks you to put in growth. If you put in 11%, like it says, you're going to be disappointed in real life. I put in 11%, working from now until age 62, putting in $1200/month, and it says my current savings plus new savings will grow to $4.5MM, which is absurd. Even not adding in my current savings it says $3.1MM at $1500/month (which is about what I put away between 2 Roth IRAs and a 401k).

This calculator, using the same metrics of $1500/month, growing at 11%, for 26 years, not adding in my current savings, says my total will be $2.68MM, which is like $500k less than Dave Ramsey's site.

Dave Ramsey is full of shit in a lot of ways. I like the thought of minimizing debt, but his assumptions are always way high and get people's hopes up. Your investments probably won't grow at 11% per year in perpetuity, as your allocation will shift over time away from riskier small/mid cap stocks to more blue chips and bonds, decreasing your annual return later in life. The only way to get a much more accurate calculation is to use a Monte Carlo simulation, changing investment strategies and amounts over time.

I know it's simplistic, but I just can't stand a lot of these "financial advisors" out there, like Dave or Suze Ormann, who aren't actually registered and give shit investment advice most of the time.

For the record, yes I was registered at one time in life.

Back