Stock Portfolios V2

Mass don't know much about most of your wish list. But PSEC is meh. Bad management IMHO. Main is def better and has special divs. While PSEC just cut theirs. I own it but i have little faith in it.

Dude dont sell mmm it's amazing. GEis dead money. It's div is frozen into next year. No price appreciation nor increased divs forthcoming. HON is a great stock too

I'm looking at PBH. They are like CHD with OTC drugs. They buy brandsand turn em around.

Oh csco is a buy IMHO. Im long there. IoT is what's up with them

MMM is one that I keep. GE is one I may sell soon, as I'm up.

Not sure what I will do soon. I'm just kinda waiting around to see what happens.

So far MSFT and V are my biggest growth stars at about 50% each. Great timing on those purchases. I think both are future dividend aristocrats.

Sell getting in early is key. Wish I bought MO just 3 years ago. My YOC would be like 6% or so. I'm sure your YOC is very nice in msft and V.

I hope sbux will be like that for me. CHD as well. Hope to see some amazing g growth over the next decade.

BTW Canadians. Bombradier. They pooped the bed with their jet. But the company looks good outside of that. It might be a good value. Or a value trap I dunno. But looks interesting. Esp it's rail section. And smaller jets too

Well OPEC is over. They can't really maintain a quote anymore. So it's a free for all. Add in frackers and its nuts.
It's funny about KMI. There's still tons of bulls on SA. Sad as they can't let it go. Kinder isn't God after all. Get over it.

BTW I'm looking into V. I'm going to sell 2/3 of PG and either get NYCB or V. I want more growth than PG can offer me. As its a bond with a heart beat. Heck T is a higher yields and has similar growth/security

KMI cut it's dividend 75% yesterday.

I wish I knew.

I just bought an interesting American health care support company. Its already down 2%.

I'm an industrial and consumer goods guy. But I'd recommend PBH as a great consumer goods company. A turn around old brands type.
NVAX is a good gamble in biotech.
CAT might be a great long term bet. Industrial I know.
If you own O, you should own it's BDC brother MAIN.

I am looking at the mReit NYMT. It like PSEC is involved and is trading well below NAV. It's div also looks sustainable. Unlike PSEC the management doesn't hate the stockholders

Wow cat bad a terrible sales month. They sent below $70. Looks great but I don't know if its worth getting into yet. The commodity cycle is def going into bear territory. Maybe for a long time

KMI cut it's dividend 75% yesterday.

I know. Looks like the shorts are. Buying back in. As the stock is up.
With a loss of trust, I see KMI having a 10% div, so this could be a $5 stock, with no growth. As it is highly leveraged

Buy gold cause the world might be ending and stuff.

I have PG in a taxable and a IRA. I am going to sell the IRA PG when I break even. As I just don't see it going anywhere any time soon. For now, as the market is sideways, I'll collect the div, and wait. Will prolly buy PBH or CHD with it.

Anyone here do day trading/futures?

My little brother just started. Making 0-500 a week after commissions at the moment. Any advice Sherdog?

We are in Aus so he's staying up till 2 or 3am to trade, since it's all based in America. I can't do the same with my work, but I'm quite interested for when I start uni next year and won't need to worry about staying up late.

Food for thought:

HISTORICAL stock charts seem to show that it took more than 25 years for the market to recover from the 1929 crash — a dismal statistic that has been brought to investors’ attention many times in the current downturn.

But a careful analysis of the record shows that the picture is more complex and, ultimately, far less daunting: An investor who invested a lump sum in the average stock at the market’s 1929 high would have been back to a break-even by late 1936 — less than four and a half years after the mid-1932 market low.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/your-money/stocks-and-bonds/26stra.html

Anyone here do day trading/futures?

My little brother just started. Making 0-500 a week after commissions at the moment. Any advice Sherdog?

We are in Aus so he's staying up till 2 or 3am to trade, since it's all based in America. I can't do the same with my work, but I'm quite interested for when I start uni next year and won't need to worry about staying up late.

All speculation.

Anyone plan on picking up some VW anytime soon?

HAHA, no! Too much dependence, not just exposure to CHina. I feel that VW will not do well. Esp with their divorce with Suzuki, and their CEO who is outgoing mucking things up. If it drags other auto stocks down, def look into Toyota or Ford.

VW even cheating never did make a car that sold well in the US. Which is still the most profitable auto market in the world

The plunge in oil has my portfolio down by the tune of about $35k and change.

Super sad times for Brampton_Boy.

I'm just sitting on it and hoping that they will recover in the next couple of years.

I mean you can make money from trading
Just don't take too much risk, as you can easilylose it all.

Man the market is spooked. Though the rate rise was priced in. Esp since the .market was up earlier this week.

I prefer lead so I can make bullets. Zombiepocalypse!

How about a food insurance company that assures you it will definitely get you the food if there is an apocalypse? Those are promising.

Finally snagged nvax today. I held out for 9.58. Dang if it did t finally happen. Well there goes most of my dry powder....oh sales

I'm just sitting on it and hoping that they will recover in the next couple of years.

I'm a fu oil heat now. Ain't nothing saving it anytime soon. Already posted my reasoning here

My investments earlier in the year in ATVI, NVDA and particularly NFLX have been doing quite well as of late.

Transfered all that money outta Mreits too, so double win

Sell getting in early is key. Wish I bought MO just 3 years ago. My YOC would be like 6% or so. I'm sure your YOC is very nice in msft and V.

I hope sbux will be like that for me. CHD as well. Hope to see some amazing g growth over the next decade.

BTW Canadians. Bombradier. They pooped the bed with their jet. But the company looks good outside of that. It might be a good value. Or a value trap I dunno. But looks interesting. Esp it's rail section. And smaller jets too

MSFT YOC 3.88% (42% increase to current yield)
V YOC 1.04% (44% increase)
CHD YOC 2.06% (27% increase)

O, JNJ and some others have massive increases of YOC. Makes me feel good. Timing for long term holdings makes a difference. Timing for just trading is not my jam.

MREITs? Man you have nerves of steel. They look good but theyare crazy, sstability wise. Was looking at NYMT aroundthe div cut time. Just not worth the trouble. Then again pay off better than bonds and are about stble. Zing take that bonds!

I bought a Africa gold mining company last year at $4.40 when gold was $14xx, it's now at $3 when gold price is $13xx. But meh, I'm not worried, as long as the company doesn't go bankrupt, gold price will increase sooner or later and so will the company PPS.

So my suggestion is not jumping into precious metals now. Wait til there are signs of economy weakening. Everyone thought 2013 was the year but it went record high. It's mid of 2014 and still it barely shows signs of slowing. Don't waste time having $$ stuck in precious metals now. Catch it while it's running up even if it's slightly more expensive to buy by that time.

this year has been so up and down. My portfolio is still up quite a bit though, so i can't complain.

I have been thinking about something lately.

Does anyone know of any mutual funds that have not made money over a 10-15 year period? I haven't seen any yet.

Take these funds, for example.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=5483&FundIntExt=INT

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=5484&FundIntExt=INT

Say you won the lottery and put $50 million in both. Based on history, is there any chance you would lose money after 10 - 15 years?

Of course. There are some straight shitty funds out there, especially the more speculative ones. If you're going to go "base of the pyramid" funds, like S&P 500, small cap, mid cap, international indices, you're about 90% positive to not lose any money.

Stupid cheap oil is buggering up my business!!!!!

Even the banks are down in Canada, like double digits.

oh well, its all about the long term.

I bought a Africa gold mining company last year at $4.40 when gold was $14xx, it's now at $3 when gold price is $13xx. But meh, I'm not worried, as long as the company doesn't go bankrupt, gold price will increase sooner or later and so will the company PPS.

So my suggestion is not jumping into precious metals now. Wait til there are signs of economy weakening. Everyone thought 2013 was the year but it went record high. It's mid of 2014 and still it barely shows signs of slowing. Don't waste time having $$ stuck in precious metals now. Catch it while it's running up even if it's slightly more expensive to buy by that time.

I'm heavy into Barrick. It has been up as high as 15% and is now down around -2% from book. Still paying dividend thankfully.

I still think it has a huge upside, once the Board/management structure gets straightened out.

MSFT YOC 3.88% (42% increase to current yield)
V YOC 1.04% (44% increase)
CHD YOC 2.06% (27% increase)

O, JNJ and some others have massive increases of YOC. Makes me feel good. Timing for long term holdings makes a difference. Timing for just trading is not my jam.

Oh congrats on CHD. It's def worth holding. I go over their earnings calls. Amazing company. Def years of growth ahead. I'm looking at selling 2/3 of PG becuase they haven't any answers to no growth.

Def love the YOC. It gets amazing after a while. Though my tech bubble stocks are still lower than the current yield. Oh well.

BTw TXN is a silent winner. No real news, but doing amazing things.

Well Iran just released a shit ton of oil into the market thanks to that moron Obama making the nuclear deal, and all the countries hence forth removing trade sanctions. You can see it in the market today as oil goes below $35.

Guys no! Read my post. Vw is a value trap. It's not a commodity producer like bp. People can choose to not buy it's products unlike bp.
If you want a good stock at a great price hit cat. It's still profitable and is down 30% from its high. Joy too is a good upside stock. VW will suffer and take YEARS to recover.
Trust me. My expertise is in industrials and autos

If I wanted to learn about stocks and become knowledgeable and make money off em how would I go about learning. Also do college business degrees teach you alot about it?

There is a current mutual fund portfolio solutions at my bank being offered right now, focused on low risk US equities. It's relatively new, and gained about 23% in value in 3 years with this year's growth being 15.9%. Here are the top 10 holdings for the fund:

PepsiCo Inc
Johnson & Johnson
3M Co
Costco Wholesale Corp
Apple Inc
McDonald's Corp
Wells Fargo & Co
Colgate-Palmolive Co

And the equities composition:

Consumer Staples 20.8
Utilities 15.9
Information Technology 15.7
Financials 13.6
Health Care 10.3
Consumer Discretionary 9.8
Industrials 8.5
Telecommunications Services 2.6
Materials 1.8
Energy 1
Berkshire Hathaway Inc Class B
Home Depot Inc

Good buy?

Sammypops
All gold mining companies have huge upsides from current price even if they reach pre-2008 prices. It's just a matter on how long it takes for gold price to go up. It have never fail in the past and I doubt it will now.

Sadly, I picked a small company without dividend last year believing gold price is finally climbing back up. Thinking fluctuation of gold price will reflect even greater in a small cap company. Well it did fluctuate, but not in the direction I wanted. Haha..

I own CAT. My only issue with it is the cyclical nature and the beta level (it's my highest beta stock). Otherwise, I'm holding onto it and may sell my GE very soon to get something else.

My average beta is 0.78, but if I can get it lower that would be cool.

If I wanted to learn about stocks and become knowledgeable and make money off em how would I go about learning. Also do college business degrees teach you alot about it?

Start with the basics, like reading articles on Investopedia.com and books like this.

And no, college courses don't teach you about this stuff in general. The only way to really learn about this stuff is to get a degree in like finance, become a CFP or CFA, or become series 7 licensed from a financial planning firm.

There is a current mutual fund portfolio solutions at my bank being offered right now, focused on low risk US equities. It's relatively new, and gained about 23% in value in 3 years with this year's growth being 15.9%. Here are the top 10 holdings for the fund:

PepsiCo Inc
Johnson & Johnson
3M Co
Costco Wholesale Corp
Apple Inc
McDonald's Corp
Wells Fargo & Co
Colgate-Palmolive Co

Consumer Staples 20.8
Utilities 15.9
Financials 13.6
Health Care 10.3
Industrials 8.5
Materials 1.8
Energy 1
Home Depot Inc

Good buy?

It's a low beta portfolio focused on slow growth with that much in utilities and staples. Depends on the annual cost of the mutual fund. What's the expense ratio?

And why not just buy PEP, MMM and JNJ yourself? You get a staple, a healthcare and an industrial right off the bat. Instant diversification.

But cat is cyclical. So that's just how it is for it. But the yield is fantastic right now. DRIPing now is going to lay off down the road. Same for most stocks, but especially for beat up cat

PepsiCo Inc
Johnson & Johnson
3M Co
Costco Wholesale Corp
Apple Inc
McDonald's Corp
Wells Fargo & Co
Colgate-Palmolive Co

Consumer Staples 20.8
Utilities 15.9
Financials 13.6
Health Care 10.3
Industrials 8.5
Materials 1.8
Energy 1
Home Depot Inc

Good buy?

Depends on your asset allocation, but no dice imo.

If you want something like this, think about a US ETF. Much lower fees and buying the market really does minimize risk as much as anything.

About 8 months ago, I sold all my equities (except BRK.B) and bought the Vanguard S&P500 ETF.

I have converted to passive > active in US market.

My next highest beta stock is 1.29 (WSM) and that's a midcap. I generally expect those to be higher beta than large caps (not always, but for the most part). Right now CAT sits at 1.63.

That's insane for such a large company. I know it's cyclical and all, but it affects the rest of my portfolio. I'm happy to own it, but I wouldn't mind lowering my beta over time if something amazing arises.

Low beta + med/high yield + moderate div growth = long term success.

It's a low beta portfolio focused on slow growth with that much in utilities and staples. Depends on the annual cost of the mutual fund. What's the expense ratio?

And why not just buy PEP, MMM and JNJ yourself? You get a staple, a healthcare and an industrial right off the bat. Instant diversification.
Depends on your asset allocation, but no dice imo.

If you want something like this, think about a US ETF. Much lower fees and buying the market really does minimize risk as much as anything.

About 8 months ago, I sold all my equities (except BRK.B) and bought the Vanguard S&P500 ETF.

I have converted to passive > active in US market.
23% growth over 3 years isn't bad, and I hate managing my portfolio when it comes to investing. The process of trading I find tedious. I rather pick something with decent returns then forget about it for a year or two. I'm the buy and hold kind of guy.

The Vanguard S&P 500 ETF looks decent, I will look into it for sure. How volatile is it? I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to taking risks.

im just wondering how much have you guys profited after your losses to this date

I'm less worried about beta. I like mmm as its for decent beta, but it's div growth has been fantastic. Had 2 double digit raises. I care about div growth over most everything. But I think your system is correct as well.

BTW Flow, VW was a basket case before this scandal. Look into it and thank me later.

Stupid cheap oil is buggering up my business!!!!!

Even the banks are down in Canada, like double digits.

oh well, its all about the long term.

Between oil a d raising rates. That's what's up.

im just wondering how much have you guys profited after your losses to this date

Since I started really tracking in Q3 last year I am up $3700 in an acct that started with $40k. All but one investment has made me money.

I take back what I said a out cat and joy. The FT had an interesting piece on commodities. Looks like China bumped them up past historical norms. Basically commodity prices stay in line with cpi. To go back in line with cpi commodity prices will fall a good 30%. I'd stay away from commodities in general til the bottom is found. Which may be several years

Man with the rate hike coming almost for certain. I thought the market wouldbe ggettingccrushed. People would get out of high div stocks and go to bonds. Whatis tgoing on? alsoiI hate my phone

23% growth over 3 years isn't bad, and I hate managing my portfolio when it comes to investing. The process of trading I find tedious. I rather pick something with decent returns then forget about it for a year or two. I'm the buy and hold kind of guy.

The Vanguard S&P 500 ETF looks decent, I will look into it for sure. How volatile is it? I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to taking risks.

I buy and hold too, especially energy and financials that pay solid dividends.

Any passive fund, the Vanguard for example, is only as volatile as the market, since it basically IS/mimics the market.

23% growth really means nothing - you need to compare it to an appropriate index and other funds. If the appropriate index returns 34%, for example, the 23% does not mean much.

That being said, there is the total return approach.

I am turned on to BDCs. Looking at MAIN right now. Smaller yield but good management.

Sold GE today. Had a strike price of $25.50 and it hit.

Now what to do with the money...

Oil will go up, pipelines will go too. I have a lot of oil position, and my $140K portfolio is really only down about 2-3K when you factor in my dividend payments this year.

Between oil a d raising rates. That's what's up.

the Saudis have to cut back production .... eventually.

I have some exposure to insurance companies so hopefully higher rates will help such, as traditionally is the case

14vp43q.jpg

Sold GE today. Had a strike price of $25.50 and it hit.

Now what to do with the money...

Lol yeah. Actually Train getting into GE might actually get them to stop being dumb. One time I'm actually happy with an activist investor.

3M is cheap right now. Below it's historical PE. Not sure what else to recommend now. UNP is looking like it'll have a bad next couple of quarters. But it's a great RR and worth looking into

Apple. With the ad blocking safari. They may have just torpedoed Google and Android. I'm looking to snag some Apple at this point.

Man with the rate hike coming almost for certain. I thought the market wouldbe ggettingccrushed. People would get out of high div stocks and go to bonds. Whatis tgoing on? alsoiI hate my phone

You should hate your fat fingers for not being able to type anything properly :)

I don't think the rate hike will totally affect div holders. Temporarily? Sure. Permanent? Not likely.

I sold all my positions for a good profit. And now I'm waiting for my next move.

Fucking was waiting for a big transfer of money to come in so I could buy about 12000$ worth of goldcorp at 25$.

Of course it was a week late, and now it's at 30. Fuck my life.

Oh yeah Pepsi. Currency neutral earnings were up 12%. Down 5% with the dollar. So they are kicking butt. Just currency which they can't control is in the way. For now

You should hate your fat fingers for not being able to type anything properly :)

I don't think the rate hike will totally affect div holders. Temporarily? Sure. Permanent? Not likely.
If only thy was why. My Sharp phone gets crunky all thetime. Like just now.

I see the rate hike taking money out of the market. Which will lower prices and make buying opportunities. Long term I see stocks having a lower PE vvaluation than now.

BTW IF PM hits 80, I'm going to try and buy it. With FX being such a headwind it'llbe aamazing wwhenthe ddollar weakens

I own MMM, AAPL and PEP already in other accounts. I might throw some more into GILD and maybe T and VZ.

Man, that is a lot of money in Egypt there. Why Egypt of all emerging places? As it is the only one that might actually collapse. Brazil, India, Indonesia, and the such are much safer bets imho. Just curious.

Haha sorry man. You check out PBH?

Know of any decent close ended funds? I'm looking a d don't like the fees. Nice yields but. Crazy fees.

BTW NYMT cut their div. Was watching. Def not a buy. As mgt said the div was safe

It could be. But CMG has some other issues. Like supply constraints and lower increases in sales. If you believe in the company long term, it may be a buy. But I think it's still over valued PE wise

Back