Stock Portfolios V2

I've been looking at Boeing and Jon Deer for a while. Both quite expensive companies to buy 100 shares.

100 Shares? Wow man, that is some serious cash to drop on a single stock. Haha I only have 10 shares of Boeing. I am not that confident in it.

Boeing is cheap now, I think the next 6 months is a good time to get in.
Aerospace is just going to keep going up for the foreseeable future.
I don't follow Deere though.

Yep, buy WMT and at the shareholders meeting today they are scaring the shit out of everyone and the stock goes down 9%. Awesome.

good thing you're on that 30 year time line.....

Since you mentioned Boeing, I decided to take a look.
The technicals look pretty good on it.

ba.jpg

Price is being choppy (and dropping steadily) but the support and resistance areas are very clear, and the horizontal support is currently very similar to its uptrend support line. On Thursday it gapped below the uptrend line, bounced off of the horizontal support line, and closed above the uptrend line. That seems like a bullish sign to me.

RSI(14) and accumulation/distribution are also diverging from the price and showing higher lows, meaning a turnaround may be in the cards. MACD also looks close to crossing over to the bull side.

As long as this thing doesn't stall at the 200 SMA, I'd call it quite bullish at least for the short term.

Just my two cents.

100 Shares? Wow man, that is some serious cash to drop on a single stock. Haha I only have 10 shares of Boeing. I am not that confident in it.

Boeing is cheap now, I think the next 6 months is a good time to get in.
Aerospace is just going to keep going up for the foreseeable future.
I don't follow Deere though.

I only hold around 10 stocks at any given time, plus a couple ETFs.

I'm a believer that if you hold too many stocks the winners will be watered down.

I will buy 50 share lots of more expensive stocks, and $100+ usually falls into that. I think Deere & Co or Boeing both have an upside.

I liked Deere at $90+ and its slipped even more.

I bought a medical expense/payment logistical company and its down like 5% in a week.

Do it. Boeing was a victim of its own success. A lot of profit taking. I think any good news will give it a pop

Still think Walmart is a bad idea. It'll be squeezed by Amazon, dollar stores and places like wegmans

Wally's world isn't going anywhere. They're now starting to open smaller grocery stores only in certain locations and be less mega store.

You'll see. You also thought McD's was a bad idea :)

anyone else concerned that corporate America's buy back of their stocks slowing?

Wally's world isn't going anywhere. They're now starting to open smaller grocery stores only in certain locations and be less mega store.

You'll see. You also thought McD's was a bad idea :)

Thing is there are two big that they really can't grow. Plus they profited on high volume low margins. Everyone else can do that. Now amazon is better too.

MCD I'll wait and see. Problem is they're still reacting, they're doing none of the innovating

anyone else concerned that corporate America's buy back of their stocks slowing?

No, not really. Buybacks are expensive, and sometimes those funds can be put to good use elsewhere. If management has found a better use for it, great.

Thing is there are two big that they really can't grow. Plus they profited on high volume low margins. Everyone else can do that. Now amazon is better too.

MCD I'll wait and see. Problem is they're still reacting, they're doing none of the innovating

Amazon is a growth play. It goes between positive income and negative income over the years. It is not something I would want to invest in.

WMT will turn around. They didn't turn into one of America's largest retailers by sitting on their asses.

I only hold around 10 stocks at any given time, plus a couple ETFs.

I'm a believer that if you hold too many stocks the winners will be watered down.

I will buy 50 share lots of more expensive stocks, and $100+ usually falls into that. I think Deere & Co or Boeing both have an upside.

I liked Deere at $90+ and its slipped even more.

I bought a medical expense/payment logistical company and its down like 5% in a week.

Not a bad idea. I will keep on buying new companies until I can no longer find any new compelling ones.

Deere, I am not sure why it is getting beat up. Why is rev down? I have no idea. I know Cat and Komatsu are struggling with a down turn in mining. But farming seems to be doing well this year, what gives?

Amazon is a growth play. It goes between positive income and negative income over the years. It is not something I would want to invest in.

WMT will turn around. They didn't turn into one of America's largest retailers by sitting on their asses.
I don't like Amazon as an investment. But as comp it's scary. It doesn't care about razor thin margins. Also they're better at it than Walmart. Walmart is years behind and is just now trying.
I don't like retail outside of sbux.

Oh amazon has aws which is pretty good as a future investment. I just don't like it as a company

I think stocks like CAT and IBM might suffer, as the BBs are prolly helping out their stock price.

But if they start doing more CapEx, then great! Too many companies aren't doing any real CE right now, and the increases have been minimal. I think it is time they started again. Would help the economy more too imho

Just to update on Horizon Pharma after Q3 earnings report:

http://www.bidnessetc.com/56957-horizon-pharma-plc-hznp-stock-surges-on-strong-q3-earnings/

Horizon Pharma PLC (NASDAQ:HZNP) just disclosed third quarter of fiscal 2015 (3QFY15) results, before the markets opened today. The company reported a significant beat on both earnings and revenue expectations. It posted $0.7 in 3QFY15 earnings per share (EPS), which beat the consensus estimate of $0.41 by 70%.

The company generated $226.5 million in total quarterly revenue, which shows 202% year-over-year (YoY) growth, and also surpassed the consensus estimate of $193.14 million. The company attributed its strong revenues to significant growth in each of its business units, which include primary care, orphan, and specialty.

Horizon Pharma also increased its fiscal year 2015 (FY15) guidance, as it now sees revenue in the $750-760 million range, compared to prior expectations of $660-680 million. The new revenue guidance is significantly above the consensus estimate of $682.42 million. The company also increased FY15 earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA) guidance from $265-280 million to $350-360 million.

I originally bought shares in late spring and doubled down recently when it was ~$15/share. Im expecting a quick sell off over the next few days because of the +20% jump today but im still holding long.

With the final proceeds from my GE sale I bought more T.

No, not really. Buybacks are expensive, and sometimes those funds can be put to good use elsewhere. If management has found a better use for it, great.

so not a sign of management believing their own company is overpriced?

Buy large quantities of crystal meth. That shit holds it's value better than gold and you can hike the price up whenever the wife asks for a new car or bigger tits.

Not a bad idea. I will keep on buying new companies until I can no longer find any new compelling ones.

Deere, I am not sure why it is getting beat up. Why is rev down? I have no idea. I know Cat and Komatsu are struggling with a down turn in mining. But farming seems to be doing well this year, what gives?

no idea, and that's one reason why I've held back

A lot of analysts have had and still have it as a buy.

Just to update on Horizon Pharma after Q3 earnings report:

http://www.bidnessetc.com/56957-horizon-pharma-plc-hznp-stock-surges-on-strong-q3-earnings/

I originally bought shares in late spring and doubled down recently when it was ~$15/share. Im expecting a quick sell off over the next few days because of the +20% jump today but im still holding long.

Good for you. Seems like a phrama with a plan that is being well met.

I bought MO on the slight dip. What a great company. Plus they'll own 10% or so of mega BUD

Yeah got me. I bought CAT before it went down really hard and bounced back. I looked at Deere, and just couldn't get the company. I understand Cat, and even JOY, DE just doesn't make sense how the market reacts to it. Got me man

Made a nice little $200 overnight day trade on Boeing after you guys brought it to my attention.

I don't usually trade stocks this expensive but the setup was too good to pass.

ba3.png

NYCB is going to acquire AF. Also this will make them cross the SIFI line. They're getting beat up. Looking to get in below 16. I think they'll be able to grow and do well once they digest AF

Cool man. Good call

What about Starbucks? Tons of bullish articles and hype. I think it will have a good run this year

Ooc why T and not Verizon?

T is for the dividend. T stock price stays pretty stable.

V is a growth stock. V needs to show the market that it is continuing to grow for it's stock price to grow, otherwise V needs to start increasing the dividend and/or doing stock buybacks if it feels growth is slowing while its revenue & income stays stable

Made a nice little $200 overnight day trade on Boeing after you guys brought it to my attention.

I don't usually trade stocks this expensive but the setup was too good to pass.

ba3.png

Might help to track performance in terms of basis points or percentages rather than $ amounts. Could help curb emotion and promote objective thinking.

T is for the dividend. T stock price stays pretty stable.

V is a growth stock. V needs to show the market that it is continuing to grow for it's stock price to grow, otherwise V needs to start increasing the dividend and/or doing stock buybacks if it feels growth is slowing while its revenue & income stays stable

I hear you. But they're essentially the same. T has a higher div by a bit, but V has a slightly higher div raise.
V just had a meeting where they said they'll have gdp + bit growth.
So they're the same thing IMHO.

That's why I went with MO. Nice div plus 7-9% div hikes. Plus BUD deal coming up. Plus the possibility of pot being legalized in the future.

so not a sign of management believing their own company is overpriced?

Not in my opinion because buyback policies are set for at least a year in general. "We're going to buy back $2-3B in stocks over the next 12 months". Sure, they can time it a bit to buy them on the cheap, but usually there's not a concerted effort to say we're overpriced so we're not doing buybacks. Perhaps they could use that cash for other, more profitable things.

Because of T's purchase of DirecTV. I think they will grow more than estimated. Prior to purchase I owned rough equivalents of T and VZ. VZ's div is lower than T's.

I also own Visa (V). It is like my 3rd or 4th largest holding based on the growth I have gotten from it (roughly 50%)

In my wife's IRA I own MO, PEP, ED and LMT. I am honestly thinking about selling ED and buying more MO.

Cool man. Good call

What about Starbucks? Tons of bullish articles and hype. I think it will have a good run this year

Good luck. It took me over 2 years to finally make a profit off these clowns. I hope you have better luck than I do.

Right on. Verizon is going all wireless. But they do have a slight big more div growth. Or did. Which is why their div is smaller than T. Visa just had a coupe. I use USAA and they are switching from MC to V. That's like $26B right there in card usage

Oh yeah MO is great. I'm going to wait for rates to rise. I think MO might go below 50 if rates rise in Dec. MAIN is

Good luck. It took me over 2 years to finally make a profit off these clowns. I hope you have better luck than I do.

Starbucks is a great company with solid margins and growth. What don't you like about it?

Hey how do you start a stock portfolio. Do you just use an etrade site?

Starbucks is a great company with solid margins and growth. What don't you like about it?

Stock pirice is too high right now. It will be difficult to make a profit, buying at 78.5, imo.

Who knows, I am not broker, just an investor. I always like to hear what some of the experts in the Mayberry have to say. I am just saying from my experience buying and selling them throughout the years.

Hey how do you start a stock portfolio. Do you just use an etrade site?

You have to use a brokerage you like (E-Trade, Scottrade, etc.), then choose an account type (IRA, Roth IRA, taxable are the main). Then fund it and start picking stocks you like.

P/E is crazy high now. You are paying $400 for $1 profit they are making. Market average P/E for a healthy and profiting company is 15. While companies that falls into the same industry, which is a better comparison, seems to fall around 25 ~ 35 P/E. Starbucks is 400, which is insane. If there is a market correction, Starbucks will be the first to plummet.

Their cash per share is barely $2, revenue per share is $20, it's not profit mind you. Yet it's trading near $80.

I'm no expert, but even that should deter retail investors. I'm NOT saying it's impossible to go higher, but value wise there are TONS of better companies to put your money in.

Additional information:
Some of you might have read about CYNK. It's basically a ZERO dollar revenue company that have a 4b market cap. This just shows how retail investors are crazy about pushing up companies share price. Humble opinion, Starbucks is one of them. They generate huge profits unlike CYNK, but PPS is not reflecting sensible investment IMO.

Last edited:
Right on. Verizon is going all wireless. But they do have a slight big more div growth. Or did. Which is why their div is smaller than T. Visa just had a coupe. I use USAA and they are switching from MC to V. That's like $26B right there in card usage

Oh yeah MO is great. I'm going to wait for rates to rise. I think MO might go below 50 if rates rise in Dec. MAIN is

So far MSFT and V are my biggest growth stars at about 50% each. Great timing on those purchases. I think both are future dividend aristocrats.

Back