Stipe: 'I think (Werdum) realized that it wasnt going anywhere'

Classic illustration of the stupidity of MMA fans. Werdum got frustrated and ran at Stipe because he couldn't get his offense working.

It's similar to the misconceptions about Silva/Weidman 1. Anderson didn't get "caught" clowning. He was deliberately taunting Weidman to get him to open up because he couldn't do shit in the first round and realized that Weidman was legit when he almost got caught in that kneebar.

Um...AS did the same taunting in every fight back then. Let's not pretend it was some sort of desperation tactic.

It wasn't until his walkout for the second fight that the realization finally hit AS that Weidman came into existance specifically to end the meaningful part of his MMA career.

So I'm gonna help people with the actual full sequence of this knockout. Here's the extended gif.

TenseIdenticalBuck-max-1mb.gif

As you can see Stipe bent down against the cage, which I believe was just him tripping against the cage. Werdum probably thought Stipe was hurt so he went charging in full bore to take him out. Stipe wasn't hurt so took advantage.

the 'golden gloves boxer' thing can be misleading. it all depends on how far you went and who your match ups were. for example, stipe won cleveland and went to nationals and won twice before he lost. thing is, he lost to Bryant Jennings, who went on to become a 22-2 pro and fought Klitschko for the heavyweight title. obviously, thats a seriously high level of competition that Stipe faced in boxing. VERY FEW UFC fighters have faced that level of boxer in boxing, maybe NONE aside from James Toney.

Conversely, brendan schaub won colorado's golden gloves. not sure how he did in the nationals, but he obviously lost at some point, probably to someone who isnt anywhere near Bryant Jennings' pedigree and Schaub obviously isnt on the same level as stipe as a boxer.

so you definitely have to do your research before you crown guys with golden gloves boxing experience as great boxers.

I can totally agree with you. Winning golden gloves in NYC compared to say Oregon or a special regional one are two totally different things. But, that's not to say it's not like that in EVERY sport that exists. Being a UFC fighter can be misleading. You have your gsp, then you have your Angela magana.

Winning the golden gloves shows a great accomplishment, no matter what. It says something. Especially when you win it at a highly recognized one like Stipe did. Im sure when you said 'you need to do your research' you meant 'one' but in any case, I would hope most fight fans know a bit about certain ma competitions.

It's not the end all be all, even being an Olympic boxer can mean very little when you come from, say, Lesotho..

Btw, I still give schaub a lot of credit for winning his golden gloves (was he a champ? I knew he placed, didn't Kno how far he got) despite it not being one of the premiere regions.

Sorry for length and scatteredness. I'm doing this on my phone on a train

Hope Stipe gets knocked out.

don´t like him.

love werdum he beat werdum ;( got lucky:(

So I'm gonna help people with the actual full sequence of this knockout. Here's the extended gif.

TenseIdenticalBuck-max-1mb.gif

As you can see Stipe bent down against the cage, which I believe was just him tripping against the cage. Werdum probably thought Stipe was hurt so he went charging in full bore to take him out. Stipe wasn't hurt so took advantage.
werdum was the one who got rocked in that exchange, stipe's right hand lands just before he hits the cage like you said. it was really very similar to the next charge that got werdum KO'd

yes, exactly. its what ive been saying since the fight. werdum completely emptied his chamber and nothing worked, so he went for broke.

The guy known for his cardio emptied his chamber in two minutes?

<36>

More likely he thought he could walk through Stipe after handling Cain and didnt respect his power.

The guy known for his cardio emptied his chamber in two minutes?

<36>

More likely he thought he could walk through Stipe after handling Cain and didnt respect his power.
it has nothing to do with cardio, when i said emptied his chamber i met his offensive arsenal. he tried a lot and wasnt liking the way things were going. he wasnt competing well with stipe in there.

I love watching Werdum get KO'ed so I hope they fight again.

Werdum was so stupid before that fight, I remember he came to the octagon wearing that stupid Werdum Face mask and he brought 50,000 Werdum face masks for all the fans to wear in the arena. And he was laughing his head off walking into the cage. He wasn't focused or serious at all, he looked drunk.

He deserved to get knocked out in that embarrassing way, he was drunk out of his mind

... because we never saw Silva try and clown an opponent he was already outclassing. It was always his desperation move when he felt threatened. lol

Silva always styled on his opponents, but he never did it to the extent of what he was doing with Weidman. Silva was clearly trying to make him lose his composure so that he would make a mistake and open himself to the counter.

The funny part was that Silva's plan actually worked. Weidman was legitimately pissed. Read his lips after the stoppage.

What ive been saying about this fight for a long time. A lot of people thought werdum had some stupid game plan or went 'full retard' but stipe kind of confirms what i always thought.

timestamp:

you could say that, or you could say "I was running away as always, and he came straight to me wide open, so I KO'd him for being dumb".

Hope Stipe gets knocked out.

don´t like him.

love werdum he beat werdum ;( got lucky:(

I don't mind Stipe I just wish people wouldn't jump the gun when guys become HW champ. Werdum is a long proven veteran and I prefer him over Miocic too.

yeah, just like he said. werdum was losing the striking, missing punches, getting his kicks checks, eating strikes.. he didnt like how that was going. he didnt come close on a TD or a flying knee and he couldnt strike with stipe much longer, so he just forced the issue and started to head hunt. night night
Hmmm.. yeah...it´s obvioulsy his version of the story...

The truth is, Werdum didnt respect him the way he should have.

That´s it.

Jus´like Overeem in the Pride fight...

If Stipe loses to same guy as Reem i want a rematch.

He beat the other guys too easy for them to get a rematch first. He beat Werdum and JDS and Hunt and Struve and Arlovski same as Stipe, also dropped him easily early in the fight and made a shit mistake.

Say what you want but no rematch will be competitive as the Reem rematch according to their fights against each other.

or you could say "I was running away as always....
y'kiddin?
If Stipe loses to same guy as Reem i want a rematch.

He beat the other guys too easy for them to get a rematch first. He beat Werdum and JDS and Hunt and Struve and Arlovski same as Stipe, also dropped him easily early in the fight and made a shit mistake.

Say what you want but no rematch will be competitive as the Reem rematch according to their fights against each other.
prolly same result but without the takedown.

Werdum did that charging thing in other fights; Stipe was just good enough to make him pay for it.

Back