Star Wars Episode 9 to have more "improvisation"

To be fair, the original trilogy wasnt a tightly honed script or story.

As far as blockbusters go yeah actually I think it was, very well focused for the most part compared to the prequels and sequels that are full of messy over plotting and lack focus on the characters.

Exactly the same approach happened with the prequels, people got so defencive over them they ended up attacking the originals despite there being the reason they were watching in the first place.

As far as blockbusters go yeah actually I think it was, very well focused for the most part compared to the prequels and sequels that are full of messy over plotting and lack focus on the characters.

Exactly the same approach happened with the prequels, people got so defencive over them they ended up attacking the originals despite there being the reason they were watching in the first place.

Nah, its pretty much common knowledge now that they went off script with the dialogue, especially in episode IV because to quote Harrison Ford "You can write this shit but you cant say it".

All sorts of plot points like Darth Vader surviving IV, becoming Lukes father, etc, was all added last minute

Nah, its pretty much common knowledge now that they went off script with the dialogue, especially in episode IV because to quote Harrison Ford "You can write this shit but you cant say it".

All sorts of plot points like Darth Vader surviving IV, becoming Lukes father, etc, was all added last minute

The scripts for the original films evolved a lot during the writing process but that's exactly what I'm talking about in them being pretty well honed. Vader being Luke's father wasn't "added at the last minute", Lucas came up with that idea in early 1978 and the scri[pt went though several rewrites after that.

TFA and TLJ both to me feel like scripts written in a rush, there full of over plotting to me and really lack a strong focus on character. By comparison I think you can see Luke's story and the Han/Leia romance are really the focus of most of Empire.

Finn being a Storm trooper is an obvious example of something added at the last minute, an interesting idea that the film totally fails to exploit because the script didn't evolve afterwards, Disney wanted it ready ASAP after firing the original writer for wanting more time.

The scripts for the original films evolved a lot during the writing process but that's exactly what I'm talking about in them being pretty well honed. Vader being Luke's father wasn't "added at the last minute", Lucas came up with that idea in early 1978 and the scri[pt went though several rewrites after that.

TFA and TLJ both to me feel like scripts written in a rush, there full of over plotting to me and really lack a strong focus on character. By comparison I think you can see Luke's story and the Han/Leia romance are really the focus of most of Empire.

Finn being a Storm trooper is an obvious example of something added at the last minute, an interesting idea that the film totally fails to exploit because the script didn't evolve afterwards, Disney wanted it ready ASAP after firing the original writer for wanting more time.

Well, if you mean revised, anything can be revised, including improvisation.

The first script for Empire was in early 78 was the Leigh Brackett version, which had a bones of the plot but Vader wasnt the father and he was actually a character Luke meets. But anyway, Im not sure what the disagreement is. The first trilogy had lots of improvisation, and the article is saying episode 9 has more than the last two movies, but thats not the same as saying the plot points arent necessarily set and theyre just winging it as they go along. plot points can be tooled around in the first couple movies, as Johnson woefully showed us. But I think by the third movie its probably pretty set. I doubt Daisy Riddley is gonna shout "Ahhh, he cut off my leg" and now they have to change everythign around what she says.

Well, if you mean revised, anything can be revised, including improvisation.

The first script for Empire was in early 78 was the Leigh Brackett version, which had a bones of the plot but Vader wasnt the father and he was actually a character Luke meets. But anyway, Im not sure what the disagreement is. The first trilogy had lots of improvisation, and the article is saying episode 9 has more than the last two movies, but thats not the same as saying the plot points arent set and theyre just winging it as they go along.

I didn't say the first version, I just said Lucas came up with the idea in early 78(after that version) and the script went though several rewrites after that, it wasn't added at the last minute rather the entitre script was heavily adapted to focus on it, as well as hints at Vader's background Luke's naivety is set up throughout the film.

The original trilogy does have some improvisation onset I'd agree but that too was I think handled well. TFA for me handled it really badly, you got these horrible shitty sitcom meta interjections like Poe snarking Kylo that undermine the story. Its like sitting next to some self satisfied geek in the cinema who won't shut up with his terrible attempts at humour during the film.

Last edited:
Luke is on Tattooine at the moment. On that cold island...he imagined the two suns he would see growing up...and made the decision that after losing himself...he needs to get back in the game and regroup. So he made the decision to disappear and emerge back on Tattooine, regroup, self-reflect, visit Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen's grave site...things like that.

but don't worry...they won't spend too much time on Tattooine...as we are all sick of desert planets.

Luke is on Tattooine at the moment. On that cold island...he imagined the two suns he would see growing up...and made the decision that after losing himself...he needs to get back in the game and regroup. So he made the decision to disappear and emerge back on Tattooine, regroup, self-reflect, visit Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen's grave site...things like that.

but don't worry...they won't spend too much time on Tattooine...as we are all sick of desert planets.

fmxf.jpg

It will be a sad day for me if that happens. I don't want super safe, cookie cutter, feel good ending so no one gets upset by it.

Look what DC fans made with their franchise they complained so hard that they got JL to be a hybrid of listening to complains and who exactly is holding the flag on that one ? they upset the fans that liked that dark and moody style and it's not enough for the people wanting it to be more like Marvel, now they all pick up their toys and go.

Is this what they want for SW to destroy it from inside "cause it wasn't how I wanted my Luke damn it, I just like copy paste stuff plus badass Luke scenes, last I really need to know Snoke's backstory cause I can't sleep without it. "
But you're providing a false dichotomy here.
People aren't like "Make DC like Marvel, or its shit". And it's not like "Change nothing about SW, or its shit"

There's a lot of middle in between.
They can keep some elements of the original, AND build and start to create their own thing at the same time.

Rian just went full retard.

But you're providing a false dichotomy here.
People aren't like "Make DC like Marvel, or its shit". And it's not like "Change nothing about SW, or its shit"

There's a lot of middle in between.
They can keep some elements of the original, AND build and start to create their own thing at the same time.

Rian just went full retard.

What were the complains to Snyder's cinematic universe again ?

What were the complains to Snyder's cinematic universe again ?
People wanted DC to be more like Marvel mostly in regards to planning, not in tone.
I think a lot of people were fine with a darker tone, I definitely was.

But DC rushed their movies and events, so the audience didn't feel anything when Superman dies.
And Snyder didn't really get to do much to really make a universe. All DC did was Man Of Steel, BvsSuperman, JL, and Wonder Woman. Whedon put his stink on JL. And MoS to BvsS was way too rushed. While people mostly liked WW

And i forgot Suicide Squad...that one speaks for itself. It was a mess all over. People wanted it rated R. And Leto's Joker sucked ass.
Marvel also did a better job of casting and sticking to the source material

I think a lot of people were fine with a darker tone, I definitely was.

I don't think you are on point with the popular beliefs on this one.

PS: People liked Leto Joker and wanted more of it.

Whedon didn't satisfy the fans asking for changes and he pissed of the ones that liked Snyder's style.

Let's not let history repeat itself but in our SW universe cause we didn't like 1 movie.

Whedon didn't satisfy the fans asking for changes and he pissed of the ones that liked Snyder's style.

Let's not let history repeat itself but in our SW universe cause we didn't like 1 movie.
Whaaaaaaaaat? Where are you getting that?
Lol I find that very hard to believe. I honestly don't remember hearing a lot of positive things about the Joker. He wasn't as hated as Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, but he wasn't positively received either.
There was a lot of disappointment and expectation that he was going to be doing a lot more than what he did considering all the insider talk about him going completely in character on and off camera till the shoot ended.

Whedon came into the project when it was close to completion. He took Snyder's place because of a family death. (I think his daughter)
That movie was destined to be a shit show no matter who replaced Snyder. It was a rushed mess. And Whedon and Snyder have very different styles, so it was a stupid choice anyways.

The next SW should not be a nostalgic retelling like TFA was, but it can be its own thing AND include elements that people enjoyed in the original.
But, really, i think your argument here isn't really accurate. It's not that fans don't want a new story, it's that they don't want a bad one. Rian's story sucked. (Imo)

No. Leto was terrible.

The best improvement SW could make is to get rid of Kathleen Kennedy.

Whaaaaaaaaat? Where are you getting that?
Lol I find that very hard to believe. I honestly don't remember hearing a lot of positive things about the Joker. He wasn't as hated as Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, but he wasn't positively received either.
There was a lot of disappointment and expectation that he was going to be doing a lot more than what he did considering all the insider talk about him going completely in character on and off camera till the shoot ended.

Whedon came into the project when it was close to completion. He took Snyder's place because of a family death. (I think his daughter)
That movie was destined to be a shit show no matter who replaced Snyder. It was a rushed mess. And Whedon and Snyder have very different styles, so it was a stupid choice anyways.

The next SW should not be a nostalgic retelling like TFA was, but it can be its own thing AND include elements that people enjoyed in the original.
But, really, i think your argument here isn't really accurate. It's not that fans don't want a new story, it's that they don't want a bad one. Rian's story sucked. (Imo)

Not even kidding, from different movie channels on youtube, from screen rant comments, from every single place movie related I've been going people are down with that version of Joker, considered it a big plus in the movie.. the star and best performance was Harley Quinn.

I'm not even a fan myself I'm with you guys on this one funny enough but guess they saw it different, I didn't even like SS all things considered.

Yep Lex Luthor is disliked by most.. just a small minority embracing the weirdness of the performance / actor.

From my understanding I think they removed Snyder even before his daughter stuff and that they kinda used his time away in that tragedy to do the split and have everyone more respectful of the outcome to not do to much negative press around it.

Whedon came in hot with 1 mandate to essentially 'marvelize' this big DC blockbuster and the pulled him from his own project with Batgirl but then stuff came out with the meetoo movement and they cancelled plans since he had some heat on him.

It was indeed a rush job because the president of the studio wanted the movie to come out before the end of the year so he can get his big time annual bonus before he gets replaced. It's all a giant mess overall and they even screwed up the colors on the costumes they were design for Snyder's dark and gritty look not for Whedon's color pallet and now Batman looks cheap in his costume under that light and chosen filter.

About SW a bunch of you guys are digging RJ's grave because he took chances and played outside the sandbox, no one is saying you need to like everything but geez luiz don't bury the guy for taking a swing. You will see some reaction and I sure hope you guys won't cry about familiar tones / elements in the next one cause we ain't big on risk aren't we, we like comfort and stuff we know.

Is that me, you...or both of us?

Whatever the case I'm always down for the Mulder meme.
Oh, its definitely me. But youre welcome to borrow the poster.

Not even kidding, from different movie channels on youtube, from screen rant comments, from every single place movie related I've been going people are down with that version of Joker, considered it a big plus in the movie.. the star and best performance was Harley Quinn.

I'm not even a fan myself I'm with you guys on this one funny enough but guess they saw it different, I didn't even like SS all things considered.

Yep Lex Luthor is disliked by most.. just a small minority embracing the weirdness of the performance / actor.

From my understanding I think they removed Snyder even before his daughter stuff and that they kinda used his time away in that tragedy to do the split and have everyone more respectful of the outcome to not do to much negative press around it.

Whedon came in hot with 1 mandate to essentially 'marvelize' this big DC blockbuster and the pulled him from his own project with Batgirl but then stuff came out with the meetoo movement and they cancelled plans since he had some heat on him.

It was indeed a rush job because the president of the studio wanted the movie to come out before the end of the year so he can get his big time annual bonus before he gets replaced. It's all a giant mess overall and they even screwed up the colors on the costumes they were design for Snyder's dark and gritty look not for Whedon's color pallet and now Batman looks cheap in his costume under that light and chosen filter.

About SW a bunch of you guys are digging RJ's grave because he took chances and played outside the sandbox, no one is saying you need to like everything but geez luiz don't bury the guy for taking a swing. You will see some reaction and I sure hope you guys won't cry about familiar tones / elements in the next one cause we ain't big on risk aren't we, we like comfort and stuff we know.
I'll have to take your word that you saw what you saw, but i definitely don't recall much of any Joker love. I do remember most people loved Harley though.

The problems with DC weren't their attempt to "Marvelize" their universe. It's that they had no plan and no vision. It was a problem that happens with a lot of movies, the big studio executives get invovled and things turn into a shit show.
Same thing happened with the Xmen and Spiderman movies.

Rian isn't getting hated on for trying something new. New isn't the problem. It's just his ideas sucked. Im not a big SW fan, so Im not one of these guys crying over Luke and my childhood. I just thought his story was dumb.
It isnt all on Rian though. This goes back to the same problem that DC has, and it's a lack of planning. In no universe does it make sense for there to be completely different writers and directors for a trilogy. That, more than anything is what fuels my dislike. The stories seem way too disjointed for me.
Lol and now, in the final act of the trilogy, they are embracing improvisation?
<36>

Back