Star Wars Episode 9 to have more "improvisation"

Eusung

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I didn't see an official Episode 9 thread....so I just decided to make this instead of making a reply to the multiple "Ep 8 sucks" threads.

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/10/14/star-wars-episode-ix-poe-dameron-oscar-isaac-improv/

Ep 9 to have more improvising....

Hopefully more like how the Russo brothers let cast and crew give ideas and change bits here and there during production.

If you read between the lines...Oscar Isaac basically says they didn't enjoy the production of Episode VIII...

Combined with Daisy Ridley saying they thought Rian would direct ep IX after Trevorrow left...and that when she found out JJ Abrams was directing...she cried tears of joy...wow she really must have hated working for Rian Johnson lol

Star Wars Episode 9 to have more "improvisation".

Improvisation?
Translation = 'Disney Star Wars movies suck. We are not really sure how Lucas did his magic but we are sure going to try to un-fuck what we have fucked with the last few Star Wars movies.'

I really wish Disney would give it a rest to making Star Wars movies. They should stick to what they are good at -- children's cartoon movies.

Improvisation?
Translation = 'Disney Star Wars movies suck. We are not really sure how Lucas did his magic but we are sure going to try to un-fuck what we have fucked with the last few Star Wars movies.'

I really wish Disney would give it a rest to making Star Wars movies. They should stick to what they are good at -- children's cartoon movies.

Or live action/drama tv shows on HBO or their upcoming streaming service.

I recently watched Solo and was pleasantly surprised! Both it and Rogue one are enjoyable movies. It's the forced epicness of the milestone episodes VII and VIII that weighs them down and causes them to suck. Lower stakes Star Wars for me, please!

Combined with Daisy Ridley saying they thought Rian would direct ep IX after Trevorrow left...and that when she found out JJ Abrams was directing...she cried tears of joy...wow she really must have hated working for Rian Johnson lol

That isn't how the story came out, more like Ridley and Trevorrow randomly met at a party/event and they retreated in a corner to talk a bit and exchange pleasantries where it was revealed that he was fired from the production, so Ridley got a little emotional at the news. (it's not like someone behind them whispered RJ will direct Ep 9 now xD)

I feel like Colin Trevorrow is majorly overrated and we dodged a bullet here, that second Jurassic movie written and produced by him kinda showed that and I fully feel the 3rd one will hammer it home.

Daisy at first didn't like JJ because he intimated her and called her acting wooden. Wasn't so hot on RJ because he split her up from Boyega she was used to spend most of the time filming the movie together. Overall Daisy will only get better with all this experience she was a total noob at first so you can only go up. (ps: loved her performance from the get go she has it)

What the film needs is a tightly focused script and dialogue, not improvisation, which is the opposite.

Improvisation?

They paid half a billion dollars for the license, it's gonna be around until we're all dead, at least

Curb your Star Wars Enthusiasm

That isn't how the story came out, more like Ridley and Trevorrow randomly met at a party/event and they retreated in a corner to talk a bit and exchange pleasantries where it was revealed that he was fired from the production, so Ridley got a little emotional at the news. (it's not like someone behind them whispered RJ will direct Ep 9 now xD)

I feel like Colin Trevorrow is majorly overrated and we dodged a bullet here, that second Jurassic movie written and produced by him kinda showed that and I fully feel the 3rd one will hammer it home.

Daisy at first didn't like JJ because he intimated her and called her acting wooden. Wasn't so hot on RJ because he split her up from Boyega she was used to spend most of the time filming the movie together. Overall Daisy will only get better with all this experience she was a total noob at first so you can only go up. (ps: loved her performance from the get go she has it)

There was a direct quote from Daisy about how the cast felt. She basically went:

"We didn't know exactly who would be replacing him....then we heard it would be Rian Johnson.....eventually we heard it was JJ and I cried tears of joy"

I remember this so well because it shocked me. All the rumours pointed to Rian Johnson being a dream to work with. Kathleen Kennedy praised him like she praised no one before....there was no behind the scenes drama. No reshoots.....but Daisy's quote got me worried...the fact that she preferred to work with JJ over Rian.

Combine that with her saying that JJ wrote outlines for ep 8 and 9, but Rian didn't use anything from them.

Daisy in general doesn't sound very complimentary of him.

I think only John Boyega said super nice things about him, the rest of the cast...look like they are in PR mode but really wanna just say "We didn't like the script"

I loved Daisy's performance in TFA.

I thought her acting in TLJ was..in fact...kind of wooden...maybe JJ was right and pushed her to get the good performance in TFA.

In general...aside from Carrie Fisher...I thought the cast had better acting in TFA.

I remember when TFA came out and critics were surprised at the acting, they thought for a star wars movie the actors did quite a good job.

Let's write a better script.
Act 1
Establishing shot- Boba Fett's ship, parked on the sand of Tattooine.

Dolly shot, approaching

We see a trail of battle gear leading inside, through the open port hatch

Camera follows armor, clothing, we see the helmet finally. Camera pans up. Boba Fett is revealed, using a light saber for a butt plug while he peels his banana

What the film needs is a tightly focused script and dialogue, not improvisation, which is the opposite.

We are getting a nostalgia fest. If Disney had the patience to delay the movie to 2020.....then the writers maybe could have come up with something different.....but the whole thing just sounds rushed.

So yes...another TFA situation with familiar scenery/planets. Filming locations confirm we are revisiting the OT planets...all of them...ugh.

But you know what? I'll take a nostalgia rehash over TLJ.

We are getting a nostalgia fest. If Disney had the patience to delay the movie to 2020.....then the writers maybe could have come up with something different.....but the whole thing just sounds rushed.

So yes...another TFA situation with familiar scenery/planets. Filming locations confirm we are revisiting the OT planets...all of them...ugh.

But you know what? I'll take a nostalgia rehash over TLJ.
The fans want a nostalgia fest.
The fanbots are dictating what it will be, and Disney won't take any chances on the next film. None.

It will be aggressively "what the fans want" and Johnson's attempt at original ideas, which didn't often work, will seem like a fond memory.

I prefer a story that's not necessarily what I wanted over "you've seen this before, you know what it is, here it is again", which is what we'll get.

There was a direct quote from Daisy about how the cast felt. She basically went:

"We didn't know exactly who would be replacing him....then we heard it would be Rian Johnson.....eventually we heard it was JJ and I cried tears of joy"

I remember this so well because it shocked me. All the rumours pointed to Rian Johnson being a dream to work with. Kathleen Kennedy praised him like she praised no one before....there was no behind the scenes drama. No reshoots.....but Daisy's quote got me worried...the fact that she preferred to work with JJ over Rian.

Combine that with her saying that JJ wrote outlines for ep 8 and 9, but Rian didn't use anything from them.

Daisy in general doesn't sound very complimentary of him.

I think only John Boyega said super nice things about him, the rest of the cast...look like they are in PR mode but really wanna just say "We didn't like the script"

I loved Daisy's performance in TFA.

I thought her acting in TLJ was..in fact...kind of wooden...maybe JJ was right and pushed her to get the good performance in TFA.

In general...aside from Carrie Fisher...I thought the cast had better acting in TFA.

I remember when TFA came out and critics were surprised at the acting, they thought for a star wars movie the actors did quite a good job.

I take that quote with the positivity of her happy about the upcoming director not like a dis at RJ. In fact I never heard no one ever say anything bad about how Rian behaved or conducted himself during production, in fact it was all positive that he is a very professional and a general good guy.

The only "bad" if you can call it that was Hamill wasn't happy with his character and that he died at the end he clearly would have liked to be alive and do a bunch of this movies but even him in the end said he liked the final product but at that point it could just be good PR.
(maybe in a few years when he knows he is done completely with the studio he might open up some more but he is a overall classy guy)

Overall Disney, Bob Iger, KK, JJ were really happy with the script of Ep 8, they all bring it only praise, we shall see how reactionary they turn out to be in Ep 9 if they change stuff or if they let it all be cause it was part of the main plan / steps they had in mind. Cain't wait for the next one, I feel it will provide us with clarity on this issues we been having and I have high hopes because historically they ended big with the final movies in this trilogies.

Last edited:
The fans want a nostalgia fest.
The fanbots are dictating what it will be, and Disney won't take any chances on the next film. None.

It will be aggressively "what the fans want" and Johnson's attempt at original ideas, which didn't often work, will seem like a fond memory.

I prefer a story that's not necessarily what I wanted over "you've seen this before, you know what it is, here it is again", which is what we'll get.

It will be a sad day for me if that happens. I don't want super safe, cookie cutter, feel good ending so no one gets upset by it.

Look what DC fans made with their franchise they complained so hard that they got JL to be a hybrid of listening to complains and who exactly is holding the flag on that one ? they upset the fans that liked that dark and moody style and it's not enough for the people wanting it to be more like Marvel, now they all pick up their toys and go.

Is this what they want for SW to destroy it from inside "cause it wasn't how I wanted my Luke damn it, I just like copy paste stuff plus badass Luke scenes, last I really need to know Snoke's backstory cause I can't sleep without it. "

Yeah pretty much, the biggest problem with both sequels to me is that the scripts are confused and overstuffed but I have little faith that getting Abrams back will do much to change that.

The first three films I think all benefited a lot from time spent on the script with a lot of different people having a say, I mean look at some of the early ideas you here for the original film like having to rescue an entire royal family from the Deathstar.

The prequels are the same I would say, I mean some of its just bad dialog but a lot of its just messy confused scripts that nobody could pull Lucas up on.

It will be a sad day for me if that happens. I don't want super safe, cookie cutter, feel good ending so no one gets upset by it.

Look what DC fans made with their franchise they complained so hard that they got JL to be a hybrid of listening to complains and who exactly is holding the flag on that one ? they upset the fans that liked that dark and moody style and it's not enough for the people wanting it to be more like Marvel, now they all pick up their toys and go.

Is this what they want for SW to destroy it from inside "cause it wasn't how I wanted my Luke damn it, I just like copy paste stuff plus badass Luke scenes, last I really need to know Snoke's backstory cause I can't sleep without it. "
Zackly.
Will you be shocked by CGI Mark Hammil and the fact that it's always gonna be a bad guy in a black suit fighting rebels, forever and ever?
Doooooon't forget Yoda bagoo bagoobah! A SW fan craves these things. Judge them by their expectations I do. An original script? Always with them it cannot be done. Johnson gave an effort, but after him, there is no try.

I would add as well that whilst Boyega has shown some decent acting chops in other films I find his comedy shtick painful to watch, it brings to mind Rob Schneider in Judge Dread.

I fear more improvisation means more of that.

I would add as well that whilst Boyega has shown some decent acting chops in other films I find his comedy shtick painful to watch, it brings to mind Rob Schneider in Judge Dread.

I fear more improvisation means more of that.

Schneider's comedy in Judge Dredd was way better than Boyega's in Star Wars. Don't make me defend Rob Schneider. He was better in The Stapler than Boyega's comedy in Star Wars.

Schneider's comedy in Judge Dredd was way better than Boyega's in Star Wars. Don't make me defend Rob Schneider. He was better in The Stapler than Boyega's comedy in Star Wars.

Honestly yeah your probably right, Boyega's comic persona is IMHO one of the worst things in modern cinema and that's coming from someone who thought he was pretty good in films like Attack The Block. If I haven't been with someone else I would probably have walked out of Pacific Rim 2.

Back