Star Wars Episode 9 to have more "improvisation"

Lol and now, in the final act of the trilogy, they are embracing improvisation?

Well this "improvisation" can be interpreted in so many ways, until we see the movie there isn't much we can know for sure.

It can be just words in a little interview, it can be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.. better yet it can be totally irrelevant in the big picture, like oh yea I said 1 little extra line that no one in the audience even noticed it's "off script / different then the rest" while watching the movie.

Well this "improvisation" can be interpreted in so many ways, until we see the movie there isn't much we can know for sure.

It can be just words in a little interview, it can be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.. better yet it can be totally irrelevant in the big picture, like oh yea I said 1 little extra line that no one in the audience even noticed it's "off script / different then the rest" while watching the movie.
That's fair.
I'll be watching either way, but I have very little faith in them. The director not being Rian will make it a bit easier for me to go in with a somewhat open mind.

That's fair.
I'll be watching either way, but I have very little faith in them. The director not being Rian will make it a bit easier for me to go in with a somewhat open mind.

How are you liking JJ's work in general and in SW so far ?

How are you liking JJ's work in general and in SW so far ?

I just looked up his imdb to check out what he's done. He's produced a few things that I liked, like Super 8, the Cloverfield movies, and the last few Mission Impossible movies. I also overall liked his Star Trek movies. (I wasn't a big watcher of the tv series so have no real nostalgia for it)

He seems to get a lot of hate for 'Lost', and how the series ended, but I never watched that series, so dont have an opinion on it.

I would give TFA a 6.5. I wasn't mad that I saw it, thought it was flawed, but I was interested to see where it went in the future. And it did have a few cool things in it that i thought had potential to grow into something.
TLJ is about a 3.8~4 for me. I felt like I had wasted my time and money.

I believe you dislike TFA. I don't disagree that there was a shit ton of rehash in it, and that it was flawed.
But what I would like is something in the middle of TFA and TLJ...not the same of either

I see JJ as an adequate director...but nothing too special. Just above average

explain this one to an old man
Starcruiser =
cruising-al-pacino-gif.gif

I just looked up his imdb to check out what he's done. He's produced a few things that I liked, like Super 8, the Cloverfield movies, and the last few Mission Impossible movies. I also overall liked his Star Trek movies. (I wasn't a big watcher of the tv series so have no real nostalgia for it)

He seems to get a lot of hate for 'Lost', and how the series ended, but I never watched that series, so dont have an opinion on it.

I would give TFA a 6.5. I wasn't mad that I saw it, thought it was flawed, but I was interested to see where it went in the future. And it did have a few cool things in it that i thought had potential to grow into something.
TLJ is about a 3.8~4 for me. I felt like I had wasted my time and money.

I believe you dislike TFA. I don't disagree that there was a shit ton of rehash in it, and that it was flawed.
But what I would like is something in the middle of TFA and TLJ...not the same of either

I see JJ as an adequate director...but nothing too special. Just above average

I liked TFA, masterfully made movie wise come to think at it but I had problems with the script's originality this is were I took points away.

Yea JJ gets a lot of backlash for Lost and from Star Trek fans it kinda seems general consensus now among them that they dislike this films that they aren't even close to what Star Trek is at it's core.. can't really blame them but for a cinema movie it's kinda JJ's version or 1 and done for the type of movie they want cause it won't make money.

As we speak now JJ, Ridley, Driver and the rest of the crew are resting up from a hard day of shooting Ep 9. :D

I liked TFA, masterfully made movie wise come to think at it but I had problems with the script's originality this is were I took points away.

Yea JJ gets a lot of backlash for Lost and from Star Trek fans it kinda seems general consensus now among them that they dislike this films that they aren't even close to what Star Trek is at it's core.. can't really blame them but for a cinema movie it's kinda JJ's version or 1 and done for the type of movie they want cause it won't make money.

As we speak now JJ, Ridley, Driver and the rest of the crew are resting up from a hard day of shooting Ep 9. :D
Yeah, I just saw the Star Trek movies as fun summer movies. I don't really know or care what "the spirit" of the original series. I wasn't thinking of the movies that deep.
And I kept reading about "the mystery box" in regards to JJ, Lost, and TFA..i don't completely know what that's all about, or really care because it had no bearing on how I watched and rated TFA and TLJ.

I hope JJ didnt forget to give Chewbacca and his porg some quality screentime. AND i need more alien tits. ;)

Yeah, I just saw the Star Trek movies as fun summer movies. I don't really know or care what "the spirit" of the original series. I wasn't thinking of the movies that deep.
And I kept reading about "the mystery box" in regards to JJ, Lost, and TFA..i don't completely know what that's all about, or really care because it had no bearing on how I watched and rated TFA and TLJ.

I hope JJ didnt forget to give Chewbacca and his porg some quality screentime. AND i need more alien tits. ;)

You know what overall you Chewbacca really needs more screen time.

Plus is it me or his fur is a little to young looking, something is up with that costume lol.

Star Trek Into Darkness was very well received in South Korea.

I presume mostly most of them are not Star Trek fans...most of them got their intro to ST from JJ's soft reboot.

I also enjoyed Into Darkness. I knew going in that fans of ST HATED it...I saw the fear from fans months leading up: "OMG if Benedict's character turns out to be Kahn I am so done with these new Trek movies"

I never watched The Wrath of Khan. All I know is that it is the most liked Trek movie by the fans.

So for me, the villain being Khan was kind of a non-issue.

I thought the visuals were great I thought Benedict's performance was good, and I loved the opening sequence on that planet with red vines growing everywhere....I thought to myself: "Man why can't the new Star Wars movies have fresh new planets like this?" -note, I watched the movie on bluray only a couple years ago.

The action scene where Kirk and crew first meet Benedict was pretty bad ass IMO. Him with his huge mini gun firing laser blasts.

Say what you will about JJ, he does a good job of making things look cool. Mission Impossible III had some really cool looking scenes (the highway action sequence had me on the edge of my seat). A cool villain in Phillip Seymore Hoffman as well.

I'm surprised MI 3 got a relatively lukewarm, overall positive, but lukewarm response. I liked it a lot.

Now Rian, on the other hand....if we go by TLJ...Rian's idea of what is cool is VERY different from what most of us think.

When I think of Rian's idea of "cool"...I iimagine a little girl playing with Barbie dolls or a toddler playing with cuddly teddy bears.

so does that mean Keegan Michael Key and Kenan Thompson are set to star in it?

The scene where Cameron X-Wing pilot was making fun of bad guy's name was kinda lame and wasted a bit of time that could have been used on Jedi badassery.

Well nothing can be worse than the last two Jedi movies (Han Solo was pretty decent but it not getting the credit because of the shit show that are the Jedi movies).

I recently watched Solo and was pleasantly surprised! Both it and Rogue one are enjoyable movies. It's the forced epicness of the milestone episodes VII and VIII that weighs them down and causes them to suck. Lower stakes Star Wars for me, please!

Even though I enjoyed episodes 7 & 8, I do think you're onto something here.

The Trek films(well the first film anyway) got a better welcome even from the more hardcore fanbase I suspect because that franchise was still rather burnt out after endless TV series from TNG onwards, a reasonably fun if slight diversion was welcomed.

The "mystery box" really means stories that depend on introducing elements of the unknown to drive the drama(who is Rey? who is Snoke? how did The First Order rise, why did Kylo turn etc) rather than characters/setting and generally Abrams himself doesn't have much idea to the answer to them.

The biggest problem with TFA I would say is that it was a rushed film, Disney invested a ton of cash and wanted a return ASAP so hired someone they thought to come up with a quick formulaic film rather than go though a protracted scripting process. The mystery box's clearly helped with that basically kicking the can down the road to the following films.

Remember how D&D got the go ahead to adapt the Game of Thrones show?

George Martin quizzed them on how much they understood it.

He asked them "Who is Jon Snow's mom?"

They answered the question so well that George was sold on them.

That is how they should have vetted a director for Episode VIII....in this case there was no actual 3 act plan so they couldn't do what George Martin did, but they could have at least asked general questions about the Star Wars universe like "How are you gonna expand on the SW mythos?" or "What kind of world building are you gonna do"....but most importantly, "What are your ideas on how to make Episode VIII set up Episode IX?"

Last edited:
The writing has been awful, so improvising their own lines can't be worse. At least this has the potential to make things better.

Remember how D&D got the go ahead to adapt the Game of Thrones show?

George Martin quizzed them on how much they understood it.

He asked them "Who is Jon Snow's mom?"

They answered the question so well that George was sold on them.

That is how they should have vetted a director for Episode VII....in this case there was no actual 3 act plan so they couldn't do what George Martin did, but they could have at least asked general questions about the Star Wars universe like "How are you gonna expand on the SW mythos?" or "What kind of world building are you gonna do"....but most importantly, "What are your ideas on how to make Episode VIII set up Episode IX?"

I suspect that beyond Abrams being a fast low risk option Lucasfilm perhaps fell victim to the "anti geek" movement?

I think a lot of the blacklash against the prequels(and to a less degree the Matrix sequels) kind of formed into a Youtube culture we see in reviewers like Stuckman that seems to hate the idea of blockbusters actually being taken seriously. There mantra has basically become that theres a simple formula to follow to produce these films in a workmanlike fashion and its when this formula is ignored that things go wrong. I suspect a lot of the reason they do this is that its a message well suited to getting a large audience, basically explaning cinema in very simple terms that anyone can understand without much thought.

You saw that in the way such reviewers loved TFA but loathed Rogue One because the former was made to there viewpoint and the latter made by someone who took the material more seriously. Yet I think your now seeing its Rogue One that's holding up well with fans of the franchise(dispite telling a nominally far smaller story) and the mainline sequels that are floundering.

I suspect that beyond Abrams being a fast low risk option Lucasfilm perhaps fell victim to the "anti geek" movement?

I think a lot of the blacklash against the prequels(and to a less degree the Matrix sequels) kind of formed into a Youtube culture we see in reviewers like Stuckman that seems to hate the idea of blockbusters actually being taken seriously. There mantra has basically become that theres a simple formula to follow to produce these films in a workmanlike fashion and its when this formula is ignored that things go wrong. I suspect a lot of the reason they do this is that its a message well suited to getting a large audience, basically explaning cinema in very simple terms that anyone can understand without much thought.

You saw that in the way such reviewers loved TFA but loathed Rogue One because the former was made to there viewpoint and the latter made by someone who took the material more seriously. Yet I think your now seeing its Rogue One that's holding up well with fans of the franchise(dispite telling a nominally far smaller story) and the mainline sequels that are floundering.

I stopped following Stuckman as I felt that his standards are a little too low. He is a bit sensitive too...like he legit cried and unsubscribed from redlettermedia after they made fun of him.

About the youtube culture of "movies are supposed to just be fun".....redlettermedias parody podcast "The Nerd Crew" review of Rogue One was hilarious. They made fun of that....but they also made fun of the same youtube/podcast groups that praised Rogue One as some masterpiece, like a dark war film in the vein of Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, etc.

After that Nerd Crew episode....soooo many of the comments section on Collider Star Wars videos are just filled with redlettermedia fans making fun of them. It got to the point where many collider followers unsubscribed...but at the same time collider is getting a lot of clicks from redlettermedia viewers. So many comments say "redlettermedia brought me here" or..my favorite..."Holy crap...redlettermedia wasn't exaggerating"

Back