Spence turned down Cotto

I've found that Spence is one of the few young fighters who actively does a good job refusing to be smothered and tied up on the inside. This was evident in the later rounds of the Brook fight as Brook repeatedly looked to smother and tie him up and Spence was able to work his hands free and create space and angles to work, mostly to the body. Remember that Brook dealt with Porter's tactics and physicality better than anyone else, as well. Spence also smashed Algieri on the inside in their fight (when some suggested that Algieri's wrestling background might give him an advantage there).

He's not the second coming of Robero Duran, but during an era where a lot of guys are completely lost on the inside, he stands out as one of the better infighters in the sport at the moment, I think.

I remember Brook constantly tying him up and pushing his head down, and Spence would just punch up, smashing him in the ribs when his head was all the way down below the waist of Brook. He's a dog, never stops coming, and his body shots are some of the most brutal in the sport right now, imo. He'll punch wherever's open, I think that's why he's so good to the body. The Brook example is a perfect one, imo, he just punches you seemingly as hard as he can, wherever he can, doing as much damage possible. Like you said, he refuses to be smothered, if there's any possibility that he can land a shot, he'll smash you with it, no matter what position he's in.

He's a scary dude, I personally think Cotto dodged a bullet here, but I understand how ppl think Cotto could outbox the younger, greener, less polished guy in Spence. I just think he's too strong, too powerful, too young for Cotto at this time. Anyway I'm glad they aren't fighting, I like both of them. I'd like to see Cotto get a soft touch and walk off into the sunset, Spence is not that. I was hoping Kamegai was his last fight, tbh.

I remember Brook constantly tying him up and pushing his head down, and Spence would just punch up, smashing him in the ribs when his head was all the way down below the waist of Brook. He's a dog, never stops coming, and his body shots are some of the most brutal in the sport right now, imo. He'll punch wherever's open, I think that's why he's so good to the body. The Brook example is a perfect one, imo, he just punches you seemingly as hard as he can, wherever he can, doing as much damage possible. Like you said, he refuses to be smothered, if there's any possibility that he can land a shot, he'll smash you with it, no matter what position he's in.

He's a scary dude, I personally think Cotto dodged a bullet here, but I understand how ppl think Cotto could outbox the younger, greener, less polished guy in Spence. I just think he's too strong, too powerful, too young for Cotto at this time. Anyway I'm glad they aren't fighting, I like both of them. I'd like to see Cotto get a soft touch and walk off into the sunset, Spence is not that. I was hoping Kamegai was his last fight, tbh.

Ali is a pretty fitting opponent for Cotto, I think. Ali has a bit of talent and even a bit of a punch, but he's nowhere near durable enough to handle Cotto.

Ali is a pretty fitting opponent for Cotto, I think. Ali has a bit of talent and even a bit of a punch, but he's nowhere near durable enough to handle Cotto.
Oh shit, forgot that he already had Ali marked as an opponent. If Vargas, who's not a big puncher and much less of a talent could beat up and stop Ali, then Cotto should handle him and look good in doing so. I do agree Ali has some decent talent, though, as you said just nothing compared to a great like Cottto.

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot that the fight between those two was already set, b/c I tend to be retarded. I like that fight for Cotto. I hope he gets a dominant win and then retires. He seems like a good family man, I don't want him to keep fighting if he can help it. Even if he's winning the damage accumulates and I don't want to see him like Shane or several others we all know who stayed in the game for too long and end up paying for it.

I'll be watching. Another stamp on the end of an era.

oh come on, cotto wanted the winner of GGG canelo? i love cotto, but he does not want anything to do with gennady. and they wanted the toughest fight next, so they came up with mikey garcia?

i don't get why they're trying so hard, the man is 37 years old, he's a veteran of the sport, he has absolutely nothing left to prove. there's no need to bullshit us about how he wanted to fight the biggest and baddest, it's a retirement fight and it should be against someone that cotto schools. no one wants to see him end his career with golovkin standing over his limp body.

Back