Spence turned down Cotto

Still hilarious. But I know what you're saying. Where's he making more money? At the... toilet... store...?
Not what I meant.

I mean, who the fuck in their right mind puts Garcia in with Cotto? Fuck money or the deal he's getting.... Miguel would hurt him.

It has nothing to do with being better. It's all about the style. Cotto and Canelo are made for each other and would always be a good fight. Look how Floyd had Cotto hurt badly three times in their fight even though he doesn't have much power. If you can stick and move and counter Cotto from the outside you can fuck him up badly. Spence would do what Floyd did except Cotto is 5 years older and Spence hits a lot harder.
Its possible, but I think Cotto is still pretty damn good at this age. I honestly think it goes 12 rounds.

It's likely because GBP wanted him to sign a promotional deal with them. Same thing happened with Mikey.

This is good for Cotto's sake.

Spence would have permanently ended his career

A worse beatdown than Margarito I.

I don't think so. I think Cotto has more boxing skill than Spence, and a ton more experience. Cotto just fought Canelo and was hardly hurt at all, I don't think Spence is better than Canelo (who was probably 175 pounds against Cotto).

Margarito was able to do what he did in large part because he has a freakishly good chin and stamina. He walked through a ton of abuse when he fought Cotto, and wore him down with loaded gloves. He also regularly threw over 1,000 punches per fight. I just don't think Spence poses the same type of problems. It would be more of a boxing match between two very good punchers.

Cotto boxes Spence up by decision. I wouldn't even care if Mikey or Spence lost to Cotto. It'll bring more light to their names and hopefully better fights in the future. Stop protecting the zero. DSG is a perfect example.

Still hilarious. But I know what you're saying. Where's he making more money? At the... toilet... store...?

Had to +1 you for the Brick Tamland reference. Entering into character isn't rewarded enough nowadays.

Cotto boxes Spence up by decision. I wouldn't even care if Mikey or Spence lost to Cotto. It'll bring more light to their names and hopefully better fights in the future. Stop protecting the zero. DSG is a perfect example.
Lol at Spence protecting his 0.

Spence is in the right division to make a big name for himself. He doesn't need Cotto tbh. Throw Crawford in the mix at Welterweight and it makes the division easily one of the most stacked in boxing.

It has nothing to do with being better. It's all about the style. Cotto and Canelo are made for each other and would always be a good fight. Look how Floyd had Cotto hurt badly three times in their fight even though he doesn't have much power. If you can stick and move and counter Cotto from the outside you can fuck him up badly. Spence would do what Floyd did except Cotto is 5 years older and Spence hits a lot harder.

I have no idea where you'er getting this notion that Spence is some sort of godly counter/outside fighter. Sure he can box but he and Floyd are nothing alike. Spence likes to come forward behind a jab, load up and look for routes to the body. He's not a stick and move guy by any means and I don't think he'd be successful with that sort of style because he doesn't have the feet for it, he's at his best when he's pressuring you from midrange with combinations. He can't really fight inside either (which is where Floyd had Cotto in the most danger IMO), most of his work in the pocket seems to be aimed at establishing midrange again so he has distance to place his round punches.

GB more than likely offered the same deal to Spence that they offered Mickey. They need some big names and thought they could steal some fighters from haymon like Hearn did to Jacobs.

Meh. Spence has beaten a guy who jumped up and down two weight classes with a broken face and Chris Algeiri. Cotto is a whole different level than those two.

Im quite certain Spence popped the eye opposite the one Golovkin screwed up.

I have no idea where you'er getting this notion that Spence is some sort of godly counter/outside fighter. Sure he can box but he and Floyd are nothing alike. Spence likes to come forward behind a jab, load up and look for routes to the body. He's not a stick and move guy by any means and I don't think he'd be successful with that sort of style because he doesn't have the feet for it, he's at his best when he's pressuring you from midrange with combinations. He can't really fight inside either (which is where Floyd had Cotto in the most danger IMO), most of his work in the pocket seems to be aimed at establishing midrange again so he has distance to place his round punches.

I agree with everything you're saying except the infighting bit. Spence is one of the few young fighters in the sport who actually can fight on the inside (Cotto is pretty good on the inside, as well, for that matter).

Not what I meant.

I mean, who the fuck in their right mind puts Garcia in with Cotto? Fuck money or the deal he's getting.... Miguel would hurt him.
I know it's not what you meant, but cotto would kick the shit out of him and mikey would retire. If you think he really hurts him then I guess I agree. I think he could hang long enough to leave with his pay check and his brain.

Nonsense.

Are you even aware of what happened when Spence and Floyd fought in the ring during sparring?

Nonsense.

Are you even aware of what happened when Spence and Floyd fought in the ring during sparring?

Yeah, he gave him good work and a black eye and everything else is conjecture. Unless you were actually there to watch what happened I'm not exactly inclined to believe you're in the know either. Never mind the fact that that's sparring and Spence has never fought like that in any one of his actual fights. Also, ask yourself if it sounds more likely that Spence, a guy who's never exactly showed himself to be a boxing virtuoso, was able to outbox the best ring general in the sport, or that maybe, just maybe, it was his size, punch resistance, strength (both physically and in his punches) and output that gave Floyd problems?

I agree with everything you're saying except the infighting bit. Spence is one of the few young fighters in the sport who actually can fight on the inside (Cotto is pretty good on the inside, as well, for that matter).

Maybe my recollection is iffy but my impression has always been that does certain things well (controlling the break, limiting his opponents punch selection and using his physicality to manipulate and turn guys) but I think that's still a fairly limited toolbox as far as fighting in the pocket is concerned. I don't believe I've ever seen him catch and shoot, he doesn't seem to find openings for his punches while he's actually in the clinch (his best work is done while entering and exiting) but most importantly he doesn't really stay there, he always looks for that midrange because that's where his power is. Nevertheless I'll go rewatch the Brook fight sometime, maybe I'm missing something.

i think people who say spence is just a big puncher and not much of a boxer are selling him short. he can box, it's just that he puts so much torque into everything he throws, it turns into a power punch.

i know no one here is saying he's strictly a brawler, i just feel like some of you are being a bit unfair. the guy has skills on top of his ridiculous power.

Maybe my recollection is iffy but my impression has always been that does certain things well (controlling the break, limiting his opponents punch selection and using his physicality to manipulate and turn guys) but I think that's still a fairly limited toolbox as far as fighting in the pocket is concerned. I don't believe I've ever seen him catch and shoot, he doesn't seem to find openings for his punches while he's actually in the clinch (his best work is done while entering and exiting) but most importantly he doesn't really stay there, he always looks for that midrange because that's where his power is. Nevertheless I'll go rewatch the Brook fight sometime, maybe I'm missing something.

I've found that Spence is one of the few young fighters who actively does a good job refusing to be smothered and tied up on the inside. This was evident in the later rounds of the Brook fight as Brook repeatedly looked to smother and tie him up and Spence was able to work his hands free and create space and angles to work, mostly to the body. Remember that Brook dealt with Porter's tactics and physicality better than anyone else, as well. Spence also smashed Algieri on the inside in their fight (when some suggested that Algieri's wrestling background might give him an advantage there).

He's not the second coming of Robero Duran, but during an era where a lot of guys are completely lost on the inside, he stands out as one of the better infighters in the sport at the moment, I think.

Back