Spartacus

So in other words, you never watched Dexter. I'll tell you a few things. It was a different show than the one you saw in the last few years. As far as "GOAT".. Dexter's first season hangs with ANY first season ever. Dexter actually starts out stronger than Breaking Bad, which really didn't start as great as it finished.

LOL so by me saying "Dexter was the show that got me back into watching TV" your takeaway is that I never saw the show?

You non-reading comprehension having motherfucker.

S
LOL so by me saying "Dexter was the show that got me back into watching TV" your takeaway is that I never saw the show?

You non-reading comprehension having motherfucker.
SORRY bro. I was watching CM Punk get choked out. Please elaborate further. What's considered GOAT standard to you? What are your critiques against Dexter season 1

Andy Whitfield died five years ago. September 11 2011. RIP

S

SORRY bro. I was watching CM Punk get choked out. Please elaborate further. What's considered GOAT standard to you? What are your critiques against Dexter season 1

GOAT is either Braking Bad or GoT depending on individual tastes. For me, it's GoT.

I liked Dexter S1 quite a bit, but I've liked a lot of things quite a bit. There's a difference between "that was a really good show" and "this is a revolutionary piece of television."

GOAT is either Braking Bad or GoT depending on individual tastes. For me, it's GoT.

I liked Dexter S1 quite a bit, but I've liked a lot of things quite a bit. There's a difference between "that was a really good show" and "this is a revolutionary piece of television."
Are you talking about the first seasons of those shows? Because neither were as great as later seasons.

Game of Thrones is a glorified medieval soap opera with way too many characters. It's high end production/budget is really it's saving grace. The universe it created took longer to really build, and thus a cult following and mainstream following was born. It's a strong show, but it really isn't top notch television. It's gimmick is more about it being the best production.. Almost film like on TV. It then uses it's over abundance of characters to afford to do dramatic things, like killing off characters. It's a show that really took it's time to get going.

Are you talking about the first seasons of those shows? Because neither were as great as later seasons.

Game of Thrones is a glorified medieval soap opera with way too many characters. It's high end production/budget is really it's saving grace. The universe it created took longer to really build, and thus a cult following and mainstream following was born. It's a strong show, but it really isn't top notch television. It's gimmick is more about it being the best production.. Almost film like on TV. It then uses it's over abundance of characters to afford to do dramatic things, like killing off characters. It's a show that really took it's time to get going.

Yeah, I think GoT S1 is quite possibly the best season of that show. But the whole thing has been strong.

I think it's ground-breaking. It has LOTR-level epicness and world-building, but on television, and I don't think that's ever been done before. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You say it's a "gimmick" show and then list reasons. But if the things you listed are it's gimmick, then that means it's gimmick is a high level of quality.

The show is so rich on every level.

LOL no. Dexter is the show that got me back into watching TV, so I'll always love it for that, but compared to a lot of shit that's come out since it started up it's not a GOAT contender. Regardless of what season we're talking about.

Nah, S1, S2, S4, is pretty legit in GOAT status.

The series as a whole is quite disappointing though.

Nah, S1, S2, S4, is pretty legit in GOAT status.

The series as a whole is quite disappointing though.

Interesting that you leave out S3. I really enjoyed that season. Thought Jimmy Smits was a good villain.

Like I said, I think it's a really good show. It was probably the best show on TV at that time. But I think TV has moved forward since then.

This would probably be a better analogy if we were talking about The Sopranos, but I look at Dexter kind of like Royce Gracie. Definitely a legend but it can't hang with the top shows that followed.

Interesting that you leave out S3. I really enjoyed that season. Thought Jimmy Smits was a good villain.

It's not awful. It's just boring, and predictable.

Like I said, I think it's a really good show. It was probably the best show on TV at that time. But I think TV has moved forward since then.

I don't think so. That first half of the series holds up against anything today. It's just that the show got so inconceivably terrible, that it's hard to even remember how good it once was.

This would probably be a better analogy if we were talking about The Sopranos, but I look at Dexter kind of like Royce Gracie. Definitely a legend but it can't hang with the top shows that followed.

Only because of how god awful Dexter got. If it had maintained it's quality, or only had one bad season, instead of FOUR, it would be up there.

I personally just end Dexter at Season 4, and don't even count the rest. It got that bad.

Yeah, I think GoT S1 is quite possibly the best season of that show. But the whole thing has been strong.

I think it's ground-breaking. It has LOTR-level epicness and world-building, but on television, and I don't think that's ever been done before. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You say it's a "gimmick" show and then list reasons. But if the things you listed are it's gimmick, then that means it's gimmick is a high level of quality.

The show is so rich on every level.
My point is it's a gimmick, but that doesn't make it as great as people say it is. That said, I've only seen a few seasons... So I can only comment on that. But from what I could tell in the beginning, I felt there were way too many characters, which made me hard to care about any of them, hard to follow the story, and barely any actual plot development occurring. It had it's moments, but to me, slow moving story arcs work much better with much less characters. There's just so much going on, I feel it took time to get the foundations in place.

I think it's gimmick-ness, sexual/nudity, epic scale and production value mask some of the flaws of the show.

I prefer Dexter season 1's character driven story. It's much more grounded and the beauty is in it's simplicity. It's not overloaded with things happening, it just tells a deeply psychological story from the mind and perspective of a very interesting character.

Note, this is all in the beginning when Dexter was at it's best and original.

Not to say monologue driven character stories haven't been done before, but Dexter as far as format and style, stands out from the rest. Gimmicky, but it's subtle and doesn't have to mask any flaws in story telling.

The build up to moments like these is what made that first season so good. The payoff well and truly made up for any slow spots in the beginning. The last 4-5 episodes are particularly epic.

Great show could have used more blood and frontal male nudity . lucy lawless was also nice to look at.

S

the hilarious and cool thing about dexter was that it was mostly filmed in long beach California so a lot of the times they were pretending it was florida you could see iconic long beachian things like the light house world trade center or the park next to the queen mary or parts of Naples. our crappy distinctive long beachian beach was also noticeable in some scenes.

Such a good show. Was re-watching a bit earlier.

What does this section of the 'dog make of it?

Fuck that show for changing the main character after the first season. I get he died, but still when your main character dies you need to just call it quits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back