Television Spartacus Sequel SPARTACUS: HOUSE OF ASHUR (Nick Tarabay Returning)

I hated how they ended his character. Dude was a gladiator that got taken out embarrassingly by a house servant. Thought he was a great villain, even had a good reason to be a dick, was crippled with a cheap shot by Crixus and bullied by the other Gladiators. I might check it out I thought the actor was one of the highlights of that show.

Agreed. That always bugs me when some professional fighter gets taken out by a 110 pound female who didn't train her whole life. But it does make for a good revenge story.

Will 100% be watching this.

Should have been “what if they didn’t kill Gannicus and he just went around railing high class tail and killing Romans?”

Aka “what if gannicus’ cock continued to rage on?”

He'll also have to be light in coin. :)

Still so sad about Andy. But they did a good job recasting with Liam too.

I probably have the highest opinion of Spartacus's first two seasons than anyone on this forum. They are, minute-for-minute, the best written action-drama in TV history... or on the very short list of nominees.

But the last 2 seasons? Mixed bag. Still a great show biz its flaws were giant spotlight on the overall quality of the show.

As for this new spin-off, this reminds me of the Prison Break show from several years ago. A show that had one amazing season, then 3 seasons of shit, then a TV movie that was shit..... and a sequel season many years later, that was shit.

Now Spartacus never was shit... but the magic was gone after the 2nd season, and it was definitely gone after Prison Break's 1st season.

And I liked Ashur as a character, he was a great scheming villain you'd love to hate.... but making an alternate timeline show around him not dying? Denying the revenge so many characters received with his death?

And its a Spartacus show without Spartacus?

I may watch the 1st episode out of curiosity, but my expectations for it to be anywhere close to the first two seasons are rock bottom.

I probably have the highest opinion of Spartacus's first two seasons than anyone on this forum. They are, minute-for-minute, the best written action-drama in TV history... or on the very short list of nominees.

But the last 2 seasons? Mixed bag. Still a great show biz its flaws were giant spotlight on the overall quality of the show.

As for this new spin-off, this reminds me of the Prison Break show from several years ago. A show that had one amazing season, then 3 seasons of shit, then a TV movie that was shit..... and a sequel season many years later, that was shit.

Now Spartacus never was shit... but the magic was gone after the 2nd season, and it was definitely gone after Prison Break's 1st season.

And I liked Ashur as a character, he was a great scheming villain you'd love to hate.... but making an alternate timeline show around him not dying? Denying the revenge so many characters received with his death?

I may watch the 1st episode out of curiosity, but my expectations for it to be anywhere close to the first two seasons are rock bottom.

In my opinion, there's already a precedent for having a Spartacus TV series without Spartacus. Andy Whitfield portrayed Spartacus. Tragically, Whitfield had to go to war against terminal cancer.

Whitfield gave the new seasons of Spartacus his blessings. Afterwards, Liam McIntyre portrayed Spartacus.

Also, the season that was called Spartacus: Gods of the Arena barely had Spartacus in it.

Rest in peace, Andy Whitfield.

Last edited:
In my opinion, there's already a precedence for having a Spartacus TV series without Spartacus. Andy Whitfield portrayed Spartacus. Tragically, Whitfield had to go to war against terminal cancer.

Whitfield gave the new seasons of Spartacus his blessings. Afterwards, Liam McIntyre portrayed Spartacus.

Also, the season that was called Spartacus: Gods of the Arena barely had Spartacus in it.

Rest in peace, Andy Whitfield.

I was actually considering that when I was typing my first post, but my posts are already long enough without having to go into every detail.

That was a special circumstance with 'Gods of the Arena' giving numerous supporting characters very valuable character development.

With this sequel series, it's just Ashur in it, who already had a satisfying arc with his demise. They're going to have to introduce the series with an alternate timeline that he 'wins' and is awarded by the Romans to the point he's established the 'House of Ashur' and training his own gladiators.

I'm going to have to hear alot more about this show to consider being excited for it.

Agree about first 2 seasons vs last 2. The training at the ludus....the arena fights....the interaction between them all. Batiatus was a frickin' amazing villain. Then then last 2 seasons were obviusly about the wars and gathering armies vs armies. Which were still fantastic to me but didn't have the magic of the first 2 seasons. It might be time for me to rewatch this series

I'm curious as to why they picked Ashur out of everyone. Why not have a timeline where Spartacus or Gannicus lived if they are going that route. Or why not simply have all new characters....like a Spartacus next generation. I believe Agron lived so they could use him.

That's key. And ashur is played by the original guy too. It's like an early Christmas present, this news
But he’s so much older now. He’s almost 50 now and he’ll be playing what.. his 20-30 year old self?

Reactions: lsa
I really liked show and the prequal and will add starz into the streaming rotation to watch this and the originals again.

Hell yeah, this is awesome news! More tits, f***ing and killing!

Sounds a bit desperate, but I said the same thing about GOT:HOTD, and that ended up pretty good, so I'll wait and see.

House of the Dragon is based off George RR Martins book Fire & Blood which reads more like a really good History book (hits all the highlights of the Targaryans throughout history). The books is only Part 1 of 2, but I'll just say this...Season 1 of the show hasn't touched anything yet. They were simply setting everything up. There is a lot of crazy s*** that will go down in the upcoming seasons. A lot of really good stuff, can't wait for it to return too.

71uRrJjeYCL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Agree about first 2 seasons vs last 2. The training at the ludus....the arena fights....the interaction between them all. Batiatus was a frickin' amazing villain. Then then last 2 seasons were obviusly about the wars and gathering armies vs armies. Which were still fantastic to me but didn't have the magic of the first 2 seasons. It might be time for me to rewatch this series

As someone that's rewatched the first 2 seasons six times, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

The Lutus & Gladiator arena were perfect settings, each with their own conflicts for the cast of characters. Confinement, slavery, & death.

The last two seasons were missing these conflicts, and the worst case scenario for the characters were to die on the field of battle, but that seems like a victory in comparison to what they escaped.

(And most of them did meet that fate, with a few lame exceptions)

It's kind of interesting to read the real facts of gladiators. Movies and shows always show muscled men fighting (usually) to the death. And they were usually slaves or criminals. And well that did happen I've read more where it was a sport for many. Gladiators were expnesive to train and feed so the owners didn't want them killed all the time. Also some had a ref apparently. They fought for fame, glory, and money (think today's MMA or whatever sport you choose).

https://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-roman-gladiators

As someone that's rewatched the first 2 seasons six times, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

The Lutus & Gladiator arena were perfect settings, each with their own conflicts for the cast of characters. Confinement, slavery, & death.

The last two seasons were missing these conflicts, and the worst case scenario for the characters were to die on the field of battle, but that seems like a victory in comparison to what they escaped.

(And most of them did meet that fate, with a few lame exceptions)
Agron should have died. Gannicus should have lived. He was the perfect character to continue the story.

Agron should have died. Gannicus should have lived. He was the perfect character to continue the story.
Don’t get me wrong, I liked Agron. But, he should have died and Gannicus should have lived.

The only thing the show missed on was a death vision of Gannicus meeting Crixus in proper combat in the afterlife.

To be fair a lot of people, myself included, think Gods of the Arena was the best season of Spartacus and that didn't involve Spartacus. I'll watch this season obviously but i always thought Ashur was one of the worst characters, if not the worst character in the show, and not in a Cersei Lannister or Ramsey Bolton sort of way where you wanted them to die but they played the part perfectly. Ashur is just someone i don't need on my screen, but i guess we'll see.

I was personally hoping they'd make a prequel season at some point that would focus on when Batiatus' father was in charge, the gladiators he had, and the rivalries of his time. There was an episode in either season one or GoTA where Batiatus is reading out legendary names of former gladiators, and i always thought this would lead to something down the line.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Agron. But, he should have died and Gannicus should have lived.

The only thing the show missed on was a death vision of Gannicus meeting Crixus in proper combat in the afterlife.

Agree except the real Gannicus died in the war. So it would have been weird for them to keep him around as it seemed they kind of tried to follow history somewhat

Back