Soreness vs. Over training

TheDryFist

White Belt
Reaction score
Where is the line between the two? I can work through anything, but I know this isn't the way to go.

This is further complicated by the fact that I am recently back into frequently lifting, so I'm pretty sore right now anyway.

Also, just curious, what day after a lift is the sorest? 1 is ok, then 2 is a little worse, and 3rd is usually pretty painful, but the 4th day after is drastically better. Normal?

You're talking about delayed onset muscle soreness, right? Things shouldn't be hurting mid-workout.

DOMS isn't really a sign of progress or overtraining, it just happens after you work out. It's especially painful if you get into it after a long time off. It can be managed, with things like foam rollers, stretching, and contrast showering.

I find the first day after is the sorest.

I find that it's a fine line, and it's really different for everyone. You'll know when you're overtraining, since you'll be working at your normal pace but getting nowhere... and you'll feel exhausted. Don't over-do it--you'll make better progress with a moderate schedule than slamming yourself all of the time.

I find that 24-48 hours afterwards is the worst. Especially with the bigger muscle groups... if I have a big pull day on Wednesday, I'll really feel it on Friday. Weird.

I find that 24-48 hours afterwards is the worst.

Same here i have trouble getting out of a chair now cause of squats.

If you are just talking muscle soreness it will get better the longer you stick with lifting, over training really is a more complex issue that deals with more than soreness from lifting.

As a beginner it's mostly muscular soreness or DOMS but it's something you can work past with proper dieting, supplementation, as well as recovery techniques(foam roller, getting a back massage from kevin nee[right zero?], whatever)...as a beginner(which i an assuming u are...<2 years training)....u are unlikely to overtrain too badly because your body is not that adapt at using all of its energy....your 1rm is very different from 1rm of an old tymer who's been at it for a while. Although load is one difference, another as important issue is how well you can recruit all your of muscles to push to the limit your 1rm...

however it's usually a good idea to cycle your volume, load, etc...undulating periodization is quite effective as preventing and overcoming plateauing as well as overtraining....

Same here i have trouble getting out of a chair now cause of squats.

If you are just talking muscle soreness it will get better the longer you stick with lifting, over training really is a more complex issue that deals with more than soreness from lifting.

Yeah, how about after deads? :wink:

Overtraining seems to be a bit of a buzzword lately... If you are actually overtraining, it will be evident, as you will often lose the enthusiasm to lift. Other signs are constant fatigue and a tendency to get sick.

One of the most important factors in preventing soreness is work capacity, which in simple terms is the amount of work your body can handle. Louie Simmons at Westside has some good information about it as it pertains to strength athletes, and Ross Enamait has good information pertaining to combat athletes. You should give both of them a look if you haven't already.

You are describing DOMs, or delayed onset muscle soreness, usually present after high intensity eccentric muscle contractions or novel movements. DOMs is normal, as long as you eventually stop having DOMs.

Soreness is normal. If your time to recovery increases, you plateau or have to train harder to make smaller gains, are unduly fatigued, suffer loss of motivation, get sick more frequently, suffer loss of motivation, or stuff like that, then you are overtraining or burning out or experiencing staleness.

To avoid the aforementioned over-training related syndromes simply apply the principle of periodization to your training. For most of us here a non-linear periodization will work well unless we are involved in seasonal sports, in which case a more traditional linear periodization will probably work best.

If it's a problem i suggest not doing negatives or going to failure.

It's soar. Didn't you fucking retards read the other thread?

Lack of energy: check
Lack of enthusiasm to lift: check
sick: check
feel like a total pussy: check

looks like i am overtrained from 1-2 days a week of training.

uh fuck it.. I am russian...*chugs some vodka and goes to train*

I hope you the best of luck, I wouldnt recommend anything over head.

Back