Soreness vs. Over training

What are negatives?

He means the negative portion of a lift. It's the reasoning behind why o-lifters can train with so much volume - they often don't perform negatives so they have less muscle damage and can therefore train more often.

negatives=eccentric portion of an exercise. this is the portion of the lift that causes the most damage to the muscles and that requires longer periods of recovery. it's a very good training technique but it can be very brutal so it should not be used for prolonged periods.

negatives=eccentric portion of an exercise. this is the portion of the lift that causes the most damage to the muscles and that requires longer periods of recovery. it's a very good training technique but it can be very brutal so it should not be used for prolonged periods.

I see. Well I go to a gym where I can't make too much noise, else they'd keep nagging at me so I guess I will continue to do negatives. Question: what purpose do negatives serve though? Does it make you stronger in a DL?

I see. Well I go to a gym where I can't make too much noise, else they'd keep nagging at me so I guess I will continue to do negatives. Question: what purpose do negatives serve though? Does it make you stronger in a DL?

Negatives usually refer to overloading your lift so that you can ONLY complete the negative portion, and to fight it all the way through. Negatives are different from simply controlling the eccentric phase of your lift. Controlling lifts = good.

Hi guys , I didn`t know where to post ( hope here it`s ok ) . I`m 45 years old ( still training hard , 4-5 times / week ...kickboxing + mma , still active as a soccer player 2 times / week playing with 20 - 25 years old ...so a lot of running also ) . I am trying to eat clean , taking supplements ..no PED . At every training I try pushing myself beyond my limits ...that was always my goal ....training and fighting with youngsters isn`t so nice after a while , you are getting slower , they are getting faster ...but that`s life . Anyway , I am still a wanted training partner for any of my colleagues ( they love to train with me ) so I guess I am doing something good :) . Since 2 - 3 years , I`m thinking of something ....should I reduce the intensity of my training due to the fact that I am getting older ? My intensity at training is high , always pushing myself . I am concerned about my heart , but I have never had any problems , my cardio was always v. good . In doctors I don`t trust too much ...Is somebody here also like me at his 40 - 50 ? Can you give my some advices ? Thanks in advance for your answers ! Oh , and pls tell me ....is there some pill because the second day soreness and fatigue is killing me :)))

this isnt very scientific but when I feel like i am overtraining, my grip strength gets noticeably weaker. That is usually a sign to take a few days or a week off

necrobump This thread is going to be soar tomorrow

"Didn't know where to post," decides on 9 year old thread... at least you made a decision!

Completely unscientific, but I just feel "run down" when I'm overtrained. Soreness seems more "localized" whereas the ragged, run-down feeling is just a full-body "fuck you."

"Didn't know where to post," decides on 9 year old thread... at least you made a decision!

Completely unscientific, but I just feel "run down" when I'm overtrained. Soreness seems more "localized" whereas the ragged, run-down feeling is just a full-body "fuck you."
well .....it was an introduction ( first post , a question of respect to you guys who are here since a couple of years ) ....and it was also more a question of ...should I decrease the intensity of training ( and the thread is soreness vs. Over training ) due to the fact that I am not so young any more . I see a lot of younger men that have heart attacks , and they are not even training ...and sometimes I am thinking ....my pulse rate is 180-190 , maybe even more during training ......can something happen ? reg. the soreness and run-down feeling , they are a part of my life ....I am used to it .

Last edited:
Back