Someone school me on some 10th Planet JJ

TrainAllDay

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
EDIT- [This thread was initially an inquiry on 10th Planet JJ vs. traditional bjj because I wasn't sure which one I should learn. Now its more about which of the BJJ schools near me I will choose to learn at. ]

Pretty much a complete grappling newb here bear with me. I'm jumping balls deep into BJJ this month and have yet to choose a place to learn.

What should I look for and/or ask about during my visits?

My Options:
  • Gracie Humaita (visited)
  • Gracie Barra (visiting 3/14)
  • Paragon (visiting 3/15 - 3/21)
  • Jao Cruz
  • 10th Planet

3/8
Visited Gracie Humaita yesterday. Loved the place, people, and instructors.

Last edited:
It's mainly no gi bjj. I think they rank with belts and is similar to bjj. The founder Eddie Bravo is a black belt under Jean Jacque Machado. Some have a deep irrational hatred for the man. While he does have some strange beliefs he is truly passionate about jiu jitsu. You will get good instruction at his schools.

The issue lies in whether or not you want to learn jacket jiu jitsu vs no jacket. I would say go get a free trial at both a traditional jiu jitsu school and 10 planet and see how you like each.

the criteria for opening a new 10th Planet school is very relaxed, so I'd first check who the instructor is and that it's not just some blue or purple belt. But if the 10th Planet lifestyle appeals to you then go for it, otherwise you may find you're missing out on some essential aspects of BJJ. Just depends on what you want.

So do they stick to the whole rubber guard sequence stuff or do they cover the whole BJJ field?

So do they stick to the whole rubber guard sequence stuff or do they cover the whole BJJ field?

I was also wondering about this because rubber gaurd was emphasized so much when I read about 10th

The issue lies in whether or not you want to learn jacket jiu jitsu vs no jacket. I would say go get a free trial at both a traditional jiu jitsu school and 10 planet and see how you like each.

This is pretty much where I'm stuck.

Ideally I'd like to learn both.

Go watch a class at each school and check the vibe, style, and culture. If you leave both feeling ambivalent do a free trial at each. They do more than rubber guard and as a whole do more leg locks than a school focused on IBJJF rules. A good coach should still teach the fundamentals.

I was also wondering about this because rubber gaurd was emphasized so much when I read about 10th

Definitely, but they also strongly emphasize the John Danaher leglocks system these days so I'd expect to learn a lot of that. What are the other schools in your area?

Doing no gi without first being accustomed to gi is..... don't.

Definitely, but they also strongly emphasize the John Danaher leglocks system these days so I'd expect to learn a lot of that. What are the other schools in your area?

Joao Cruz BJJ
Paragon
Brasa BJJ
Gracie Humaita

are some I know of

Just curious, but why?

I'm not saying you can't get good at grappling w/o the gi but learning/knowing the art of BJJ is with the gi. So basically gi jiu jitsu is the fundamentals. In nogi you can get away with bad habits and relying on athleticism, size advantage, and wetness to get out of bad position where in the gi you have to rely on leverage, technique and timing to improve. You can't really muscle your way out in the gi against someone who is your size but in nogi you can.

They don't totally focus on rubber. Look at the "warm ups" they do now and just those cover some of everything from basic positions like knee on belly to cartwheel passing and rolling into locks. Me personally I'm hit or miss with it because I prefer nogi however I'm more of a pressure control grappler than some of the more flashy leg locks and rolling attacks. I do both systems and work out with a wrestling coach personally though and I find the mix is good synergy if you have the time or money to go that route.

I'm not saying you can't get good at grappling w/o the gi but learning/knowing the art of BJJ is with the gi. So basically gi jiu jitsu is the fundamentals. In nogi you can get away with bad habits and relying on athleticism, size advantage, and wetness to get out of bad position where in the gi you have to rely on leverage, technique and timing to improve. You can't really muscle your way out in the gi against someone who is your size but in nogi you can.
So what you're saying is, no gi is more realistic?

So what you're saying is, no gi is more realistic?
I started to type up a reply but then I realized you are going to just want to debate semantics and be right on the internet.

Realistic as in what? grappling vs. a trained or untrained opponent on da streetz? do we assume lava and needles? What if he has a kali stick in his back pocket?!?!? WHAT IS REAL?!!?!?!!?

If you are looking for a place to train you should visit all of the schools in your area. That is honestly the best way to figure out which school you will like best. It is a very personal choice that you really need to make for yourself. Each school should offer some type of free trial and just make sure you do not commit to anything long term before you are certain.

In gi you can get away with bad habits and relying on grip strength, friction, etc to make up for slow reactions poor balance bad leverage etc to control the opponent in positions gives a big advantage to people with a size advantage etc.

I have always thought the "gi for fundamentals" argument is a load of crock, and also mirrors the "wrestling is just athleticism" mindset quite nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back