Someone school me on some 10th Planet JJ

Meh. Gi makes technical defense better. Nogi makes technical offense better.

In gi you can get away with bad habits and relying on grip strength, friction, etc to make up for slow reactions poor balance bad leverage etc to control the opponent in positions gives a big advantage to people with a size advantage etc.

Exactly. Lots of gi-only white and blue belts only understand how to control somebody with the safety of the grips and increased friction of the gi. I think it's an important lesson to learn early on that, at its core, this is a wrasslin' art. No gi will better prepare a novice for that, IMO (ideally you'd want to do both, of course).

I'm not saying you can't get good at grappling w/o the gi but learning/knowing the art of BJJ is with the gi. So basically gi jiu jitsu is the fundamentals. In nogi you can get away with bad habits and relying on athleticism, size advantage, and wetness to get out of bad position where in the gi you have to rely on leverage, technique and timing to improve. You can't really muscle your way out in the gi against someone who is your size but in nogi you can.

Well. It kind of happens that Bjj is originally practised in the gi and brasilians still love to train in the gi no matter how hot it is.

Most gi schools also offer no-gi classes, fwiw.

The vibe and culture of the schools may vary greatly, and that is a really important aspect. You're not only going to be very up-close and personal with these people, you're going to be hanging out with them for hours every week (and paying for it).

Take your time and check out a trial at all of your convenient options.

I'd pick paragon. Sean apperson is an an awesome dude and a great instructor. If I ever move out west that's where I'd sign up.

I'll second that; the Paragon guys are crazy.

brasilians still love to train in the gi no matter how hot it is.
I don't understand this at all. Not without some serious AC at least.
Doing no gi without first being accustomed to gi is..... don't.
I definitely have like, at least 50-100 more hours in no gi compared to gi and it suits me fine lol.

Doing no gi without first being accustomed to gi is..... don't.

I am learning the GI after years of no GI, I'm really enjoying it but don't agree here.

To the TS I have an old friend that opened up and Eddie bravo school in Montreal, I think if the local teacher is good you won't go wrong. It's really if you want the GI stuff or not.

Joao Cruz BJJ
Paragon
Brasa BJJ
Gracie Humaita

are some I know of

Paragon or Brasa are probably better bets. I don't really care for 10th Planet. I've met some guys from there who were pretty decent, but their game overall seems to be more about gimmicks and surprise than just being better at BJJ than their opponents. They definitely embrace the outside vibe, but that's not necessarily a good thing as some of them seem to use it as an excuse to do weird, sub-optimal stuff and also as a justification for losing and not just getting really solid at fundamental BJJ. I also have never seen them have a lot of discipline or structure in how their classes are run at the 10th P schools I've dropped in at on my travels. I wouldn't train at one unless it was my only option. And this has nothing to do with gi vs. no, I favor no-gi and I still don't like them much.

Let's put it this way. When Marcello was ADCC champ he trained five days in the gi, one day nogi, one day rest. Curious what happened when he rolled with Eddie?

their game overall seems to be more about gimmicks and surprise than just being better at BJJ
I know what you mean. I rolled with a guy once from 10th Planet at an open mat and he caught me with a leg lock early on. After that I realized leg locks were the only thing he could do and I just smashed his ass for the rest of the roll.

In gi you can get away with bad habits and relying on grip strength, friction, etc to make up for slow reactions poor balance bad leverage etc to control the opponent in positions gives a big advantage to people with a size advantage etc.

What I find amazing is how hard it would be to spin in any appreciable fashion while wearing clothing and being on concrete. Not enough is said about the added friction of clothing on non-mat surfaces.

I'll believe the gi makes you better at grappling when the US Olympic wrestling team starts training in it.

I don't see the application to the non-stretching / non-tearing collar to real life, so it isn't for anything other than amusement, or to sell more intellectual material during BJJ class for a longer period of time.

I'll believe the gi makes you better at grappling when the US Olympic wrestling team starts training in it.

I don't see the application to the non-stretching / non-tearing collar to real life, so it isn't for anything other than amusement, or to sell more intellectual material during BJJ class for a longer period of time.

The "Ill believe X when Y does it" is not a fair argument because you could say that about anything unknown. It is also wrong to use the "in real life" comparison unless you're also prepared to negate every BJJ move that has little real-life application. That being said, the gi offers far more than you seem to think.

Hey look, a 10th planet thread devolved into a gi vs no gi debate... Sweet!

The "Ill believe X when Y does it" is not a fair argument because you could say that about anything unknown. It is also wrong to use the "in real life" comparison unless you're also prepared to negate every BJJ move that has little real-life application. That being said, the gi offers far more than you seem to think.

I don't think so. I think it's a gimmick.

Let's put it this way. When Marcello was ADCC champ he trained five days in the gi, one day nogi, one day rest. Curious what happened when he rolled with Eddie?

Here is a video of Marcelo and Eddie rolling, this is not a jab at Eddie, because Eddie is a legend as well. Marcelo is just the Michael Jordan, Bouvaisar Satiav, or Tom Brady of his discipline.

Here is a video of Marcelo and Eddie rolling, this is not a jab at Eddie, because Eddie is a legend as well. Marcelo is just the Michael Jordan, Bouvaisar Satiav, or Tom Brady of his discipline.

You mean the Travis Lutter? :D

Eddie is the first to say how awesome Marcelo is. He straight up said when Marcelo turns it up he taps him about once a minute.

I don't think so. I think it's a gimmick.
If you're ever in a street fight in Chicago in the winter time you won't think it's a gimmick. Yan Cabral trains almost exclusively in the gi. 12 of his 13 MMA wins are by submission.

My 2 cents; I have trained for the majority of my time at a school that did No-Gi 1-2 times a week, unless they were getting ready for a No-Gi competition then it went to 3. I feel like my No-Gi game is better because I rolled with the Gi and had to develop habits where I hid my limbs better to try and hide from grips, and that led to a better defense without the Gi. You can get away a bit more on athleticism and slipperiness No-Gi as well, IMO.

With that being said, I routinely dropped into the 10th Planet school near me 1-2 times a week, and the majority of the guys I train with at work on lunch break (when I am back in America) are 10th Planet guys and we train exclusively No-Gi at then. 10th P guys give me a different challenge to deal with and it is against people who don't know my game and I don't know theirs so that helps to make my game better. I, personally, enjoy the people better when I train at 10th Planet. They are generally nicer, more accepting of others and there is no drama there (I have trained at several of their Moons in several states, so it isn't just one I am basing my observations off of). Unfortunately, and I have experienced this at my previous school, traditional schools can have people who are petty, rude and elitist and can be cliquey. I left my previous school because of one of these people, who happened to be a textbook sociopath. Obviously, it would be a generalization to say this happens at every traditional school, but unfortunately it has happened at every one I have been to, and I have been to many due to moving because of the military quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Back