So you think you know all about karate??

If Karate as a whole really wants to start healing - all the organisations & styles of Karate such as Shotokan, Goju, Uechi, Shorin, Kyokushin, Wado etc etc should come together & form a worldwide competition format that's realistic & full-contact (semi-contact for those that want it) to determine who the best karateka in their respective weight classes are - it will breed competition & make all karateka more competitive but I seriously doubt that it would happen - even though Karate is meant to be Budo - Karate ironically has many personalities that are not conducive to the Budo aspect of Karate unfortunately, lets hope this trait isn't passed on from generation to generation lol.

Ryu Narushima is one of my favourite karateka - it's ashame that K-1 MAX came well after his time - but I would have loved to see him compete in K-1 MAX, think he could have done extremely well, maybe even a MAX champ - till this date I've never seen anyone in all of combat sports throw high roundhouses with the speed & power he managed to throw them with both left & right - pound for pound, I've never seen someone come close & to top it off he was tough as hell - would have loved to see him fight guys like Masato, Kraus, Buakaw, Souwer etc etc provided he had done an Andy Hug & done some cross-training.

I wholeheartedly agree that karate as a whole needs to reunite under one official competitive rule set. Something labeled purely "Karate" which is open to anyone and everyone to compete. Now whether, or not, these competitions produce some of the best strikers on earth isn't something I'd worry about. I'd want to produce a rule set that enforces clean technique in a full contact environment. Those masks for used in Kudo have led to extremely poor punching technique; I want people to rely on technique in order not to take damage. Say what you like about American Kickboxing (or full contact karate, above the waist kickboxing, ect.) but it led to some very skillful fighters with great technique, for their sport.

Karate has no reason to be any less technically beautiful than Western Boxing or Muay Thai.

Karate is in a bit of a funny place in America; Many, many Tae Kwon Do clubs operate under a banner that says "KARATE" and have students who think karate and taekwon do are interchangeable words. Many other clubs teach a mix of martial arts under the karate banner as well. A lot of karateka have never done karate here. If we changed the definition of karateka to someone who competes under the official karate rule set, that might be a start.

As for Ryu Narushima, I think he had the physical tool set to do well but there are too many variables to guess in that drastic of a sports change. He still would of been a really small fighter for max as well.

Last edited:
Karate really doesn't need unification. There are two main point-sparring organizations and two/three main full-contact karate organizations. That's how karate is fought. Everything else is pretty much a small organization.

I wholeheartedly agree that karate as a whole needs to reunite under one official competitive rule set. Something labeled purely "Karate" which is open to anyone and everyone to compete.

I think a range of official rulesets is appropriate. Not everyone wants to do the same thing so I think they should have options and perhaps at any given tournament you can do any or all of these.

Personally, I would be happy with traditional Shotokan-style stop-point sparring and medium-contact continuous sparring (basically full-contact rules but not full contact).

There will, of course, be those who want a full-contact option so there should be one. The form it should take can be for others to decide.

Say what you like about American Kickboxing (or full contact karate, above the waist kickboxing, ect.) but it led to some very skillful fighters with great technique, for their sport.

Fuck yeah! Jerry Trimble in this motherfucker!

Karate really doesn't need unification. There are two main point-sparring organizations and two/three main full-contact karate organizations. That's how karate is fought. Everything else is pretty much a small organization.

I agree. Karate does not need to be forced into one single style.
However, it would be nice to have a few recognized rulesets everyone competed with.
Say, WKF, Knockdown, glove karate and maybe a MMA karate ruleset like the kudo of daido juku (maybe not that exactly, but something similar. maybe the vale tudo karate of zendokai).
Shinkyokushin recently announced an attempt to create a unified japanese knockdown federation for a united japanese knockdown championship for all knockdown styles (a part of the dream of the olympics). While I do not see it succeeding in the foreseeable future, it is a good initiative.

I agree. Karate does not need to be forced into one single style.
However, it would be nice to have a few recognized rulesets everyone competed with.
Say, WKF, Knockdown, glove karate and maybe a MMA karate ruleset like the kudo of daido juku (maybe not that exactly, but something similar. maybe the vale tudo karate of zendokai).
Shinkyokushin recently announced an attempt to create a unified japanese knockdown federation for a united japanese knockdown championship for all knockdown styles (a part of the dream of the olympics). While I do not see it succeeding in the foreseeable future, it is a good initiative.

QUERY: The suggestions are not bad. Why don't you take up the gauntlet of making some of these proposals come to fruition???

The other side of the coin, traditional karate is a personal undertaking. Let the practitioner choose. For instance, there's quite a kyo following here @ Sherdog, others Shotokan. I like Tang Soo Do, as far as the karate styles go.... Others are all for Okinawan brands.... Maybe the diversity has a benefit of being most inclusive of a broad audience....

KarateStylist

QUERY: The suggestions are not bad. Why don't you take up the gauntlet of making some of these proposals come to fruition???
Start my own organization and strive to unite all other karate organizations?
Good plan.

The other side of the coin, traditional karate is a personal undertaking. Let the practitioner choose.

We are not talking styles her. we are talking sport rules.
And stop talking about TSD in a thread about karate, please.

I like Tang Soo Do, as far as the karate styles go....
KarateStylist

maximum_trolling_by_synknight-d30eobn.gif

Last edited:
1. Start my own organization and strive to unite all other karate organizations?
Good plan.

2. We are not talking styles her. we are talking sport rules.
3. And stop talking about TSD in a thread about karate, please.

1. You piece of female anatomy [sic]**.

2. Excuse me.... it's your board....

3. SAY, pretty please, Mr. Karate.org....

KarateStylist

** P.S. Say, pointy elbows.... :p

EDIT: / * flashing lights * / EDIT: Ah, the comic book, inevitable.... / * flashing lights * /

2nd EDIT: 2x Appreciate the Spoiler....

Last edited:
And stop talking about TSD in a thread about karate, please.

This guy calls wing chun and hapkido karate... Didn't your family told you to be comprehensive with people on mental problems???

This guy calls wing chun and hapkido karate... Didn't your family told you to be comprehensive with people on mental problems???

Lame.

You're like one of the obligatory bash'rs that has caught the attention....
....F*ck yeah! Jerry Trimble in this mother...!....

^^^ ON TRIMBLE, HE WON BECAUSE HIS OPPONENTS ALL DEFENDED WITH BOXING....**.

KarateStylist

** poorly, I should say...

Last edited:
As the rules started to allow full strikes and grappling the matches began to mimic modern Mixed Martial Arts (i.e., Pride, UFC...). I know this is going to be controversial, however, I think that these videos are a testament to why traditional martial arts are behind the times when it comes to empty hand combat preparation.

daido juku is the best style out of all em. the only style to really resemble a street fight!

Freestyle karate.
A new karate sport-system in Japan. Looks like knockdown karate with much more throws&takedowns.

Last edited:
It's an interesting write up, but it seems like if you want to fight you should probably just do one of the kickboxing styles.
I love kickboxing, but I get things from karate it did not provide. E.G. Open hand strikes, the ability to grab/grapple since we do not wear gloves, and the hand conditioning necessary for it. You can condition intelligently so as not to end up with mangled arthritic claws too. I started kickboxing contiguously with karate so I have no idea what one would be like without the other. But I do know I have gotten value from both; a Venn diagram sums it up.

I am a goju ryu karateka, only an orange belt so very inexperienced
I want to some day compete in some form but goju doesnt seem to have any way to compete, we certainly dont practice any point sparring
our sparring is like kickboxing sparring with gloves and headgear

I am a goju ryu karateka, only an orange belt so very inexperienced
I want to some day compete in some form but goju doesnt seem to have any way to compete, we certainly dont practice any point sparring
our sparring is like kickboxing sparring with gloves and headgear

Clinching? Elbows? Knees? I am not as familiar with Goju-Ryu as I am with the other Karate styles.

Back