So you think you know all about karate??

one more system of karate. this is PRO Karate Tatsujin in Japan. another of the mma inspired ones.

edited into op

Remember seeing this thread like 3 years ago,its fucking dope

also I miss karate stylist and his signatures

also I miss karate stylist and his signatures

That dude was terrible, wrote like he had a concussion 90% of the time and had the most bizarre, backwards logic I'd ever read on these boards.

Payak, now, he was one for the ages. :icon_chee

Karate Stylist drove me to the War Room and Sports Bar.

Wow, I only just read this thread for the first time and it certainly showed a bunch of sparring styles I didn't know about (all I really knew before hand was the kyokushin-esque rule set, semi contact and the no-contact styles). I really enjoyed the ones that steered more towards mma formats, and I liked how it demonstrated karate styles under the full contact rule sets.

Out of curiosity, with regards to the grappling (both standing and ground) in the mma-style formats in this thread, do the stylists add in styles like bjj, judo etc, or is it purely some type of karate that I don't know about?

Also Shinkyoku, I see you commenting on karate-based threads all the time. Do you train any form of karate? If so, what style?

I do kyokushin and train in the shinkyokushin organization. I have dabbled in point karate (in a couple of trad styles) in the distant past.

That dude was terrible, wrote like he had a concussion 90% of the time and had the most bizarre, backwards logic I'd ever read on these boards.

Karate Stylist drove me to the War Room and Sports Bar.

Your rage stemming from KarateStylist or as I perceived it - I'm not going to lie Jukai was one of the reasons he was so entertaining loool.

Your constant back & forth - made the standup forum pretty lively :D

Heck he pissed quite a few people off more so because most of his sentences were incomprehensible lool.

Still the trolling was broken by miles by none other than our Payak lool. Sherdog attracts interesting people - the war room/heavies really give in an insight into the warped minds of some :icon_chee

That's exactly why he was so awesome to read
The guy was a true warrior and samurai

Karatestylist

The styles that don't allow as much contact are great for learning how to kickbox or strike without at much risk to your health. You can do these styles for your whole life without risk to mental health from getting hit in the head. For example.

Sparring using Muay Thai rules or K-1 rules for 10 years by the average person means you will get hit in the head 1000's of times. You learn spacing, all the kicks and punches, and learn how to dodge and block. That is your gain. However, getting hit in the head and other areas can result in more injury to your body, arthritis, Parkinson's, etc. That is your loss.

Sparring using point rules with only light contact for 10 years by the average person means you will get hit in the head every now and then. You learn spacing, all the kicks and punches, and learn how to dodge and block. Your gain is almost as good as tougher fighting rules. However, getting hit with significantly less shots to the head and body results in a healthier body long term. Your loss is much less.

What I was told by my instructors is to start off in a traditional style and stay there for 5 years. Then if you decide you want to fight professionally you will have all the tools without the injuries. You will get hit a lot less if you do Muay Thai rules and kickboxing rules later because of your kicking, spacing, and dodging and blocking learned from the traditional art.

Greatest gain with the least amount of risk possible. That is the point of Traditional Martial Arts and point fighting.

very good points...put very well

Nihon kempo karate.
Using a variation of Bogu kumite. (bogu= armoured, and the same term used for kendo armour) that is continuous (ie, they do not break after every hit)

(also edited into the opening post)

I am necro-ing this thread.

I am now regretting more and more spending time in TKD instead of japanese arts.

My only problem in the Karate I have trained is just not being allowed to use the techniques I have learned in training on other people in sparring.
Common banned moves being elbows / kick catches / sweeps / hammer fists etc
If you were actually allowed to practice what you have learned in resistance training I think this "Karate is a crappy form of kickboxing / Muay Thai" notion would go away.

Which of these formats or tournaments is open to outsiders? I currently train at a Mauy Thai gym and don't mind heavy sparring. However, I am afraid of losing an eye or needing surgery from a detached retina. Something like knock down karate or even Daido Juko looks really cool. How would I go about entering a fighting in a tournament in either or both of those, while having my same coaches?

I also train judo and BJJ and compete in grappling. I would seriously consider MMA but for fear of losing an eye to a finger or knuckle.

I'm doing Kudo at the moment after having switched from Kyokushin - I had a few issues with the style that were unresolved so decided to make the switch to Kudo.

Most knockdown karate tournaments are open to all styles. If you want to compete in knockdown that's always a possibility.

As for Kudo - you have to be a part of the Kudo organisation to compete in the tournaments as far as I know. I think though that there are quite a few tournaments - at least in the UK - that are organised, co-organized by Kudo & similarly related styles and there tends to be a back & forth - in regards to competition (i.e. there are competitions tournaments very similar to Kudo - that all styles compete in including Kudo) - at least in the UK. But I think it is more than likely available in your own country & there are probably tournaments available that cater to all styles also - you may have to find them though.

Which of these formats or tournaments is open to outsiders? I currently train at a Mauy Thai gym and don't mind heavy sparring. However, I am afraid of losing an eye or needing surgery from a detached retina. Something like knock down karate or even Daido Juko looks really cool. How would I go about entering a fighting in a tournament in either or both of those, while having my same coaches?

I also train judo and BJJ and compete in grappling. I would seriously consider MMA but for fear of losing an eye to a finger or knuckle.
Several of these have atleast some tournaments open to outsiders.

kyokushin & other knockdown styles frequently have open tournaments where outsiders can enter (as long as they can show a record proving they know what they are doing, and are not just toughman wannabees). The higher level the tournament, the better the record required. knockdown is an amateur sport though, so no pro fighters. Usually it is up to the fighters themselves to contact the arrangers of the individual event, in order to enter. you can always contact a organization and ask for upcoming tournaments and more local opportunities to enter.

Glove karate in japan is a sport where the style is not important. if you are willing to affiliate to the federation holding the event, and to fight in a gi, you are welcome to enter their tournaments. It is actually popular among amateur kick& thai boxers.

Daido juku is very restrictive in letting outsiders enter. It has happened, like when they allowed Semmy schilt into their championship and he won, but he was in a karate organization that was in a cooperative relation to them, and a protege of the head of that organization. Usually, though, entering a tournament requires being a member.

2 weeks ago I started Shotokon and Kempo Karate its been good, I also have been doing Taekwondo for a year and have a yellow belt but I always wandered to myself it may be a stupid question but do they consider Taekwondo a Karateka?

Given that Karatekas can't kick to the equivalent level of TKDoins, I'd say no. Sidekicks are so poorly executed in Shotokan Karate patterns. There's not even full extention from legit Japanese masters.....The main emphasis in Karate is punching. Their hands are excellent.

Full contact Karate styles are much better but the kicking is really more like Muay Thai there, not traditional Karate kicks.

You can compare Karate and Taekwondo to BJJ and Judo. BJJ guys grapple superior to a Judokas despite both using the same techniques, simply because one focuses on the ground (BJJ) while the other focus on throws (Judo).

Last edited:
Given that Karatekas can't kick to the equivalent level of TKDoins, I'd say yeah. Sidekicks are so poorly executed in Shotokan Karate patterns. There's not even full extention, from legit Japanese masters.....The main emphasis in Karate is punching. Their hands are excellent.

Full contact Karate styles are much better, but the kicking is really more like Muay Thai there, not traditional Karate kicks.

You can compare Karate and Taekwondo with BJJ with Judo. BJJ guys grapple superior to a Judokas despite both using the same techniques, simply because one focuses on the ground (BJJ) while the other focus on throws (Judo).
the kicks in kyokushin are pretty identical to okinawan goju ryu

the kicks in kyokushin are pretty identical to okinawan goju ryu

Well, Goju Ryu guys don't kick with the shin. Anyway, the difference in kicking abilities is a substantial.

Here's a Karateka losing in his own format against an ITF Taekwon-Do guy. Notice how superior the TKD guy is at kicking.

Well, Goju Ryu guys don't kick with the shin. Anyway, the difference in kicking abilities is a substantial.

Here's a Karateka losing in his own format against an ITF Taekwon-Do guy. Notice how superior the TKD guy is at kicking.

...but he's using his shin in the video I posted.

Back