So mayweather vs mcgregor is actually gonna happen..

66577fc4c7550afd6c32a0e96f35d01a.jpg

Hoping I can see this live in person...would be my first boxing event lol.
Ouch that would be like having Yamma as your only live mma event. Although this might have an actual undercard.

Serious question, is there something I'm missing about why people thing Conors stance is something out of the ordinary? Sure, he has his hands low- as if thats never been seen in boxing- and occasionally likes act like he's doing capoiera or karate but, for the most part, its far more Alexis Arguello (but a little more upright) than it is Stephen Thompson.

Serious question, is there something I'm missing about why people thing Conors stance is something out of the ordinary? Sure, he has his hands low- as if thats never been seen in boxing- and occasionally likes act like he's doing capoiera or karate but, for the most part, its far more Alexis Arguello (but a little more upright) than it is Stephen Thompson.

Arguello was orthodox wasn't he? I think I see what you're saying, Arguello could throw a hard left for sure but Conor is a southpaw counter puncher

I see some similarities with Orzubek Nazarov, although Conor's hands aren't nearly as fast

Last edited:
Arguello was orthodox wasn't he? I think I see what you're saying, he could throw a hard left for sure but Conor is a southpaw counter puncher

I see some similarities with Orzubek Nazarov, although Conor's hands aren't nearly as fast

Yeah, he was an orthodox. I was ignoring orientation though as I was more focusing on general foot position. Great example though, I've never seen him before. Thats defiantly more appropriate than my Arguello allusion.

I'm no expert (at all) but I see similarities with Thompson in the way he kind of hops in and out of range, seems fairly un-boxing like. Though maybe Floyd will just pick this up and catch him coming in, I dunno.

Yeah, he was an orthodox. I was ignoring orientation though as I was more focusing on general foot position. Great example though, I've never seen him before. Thats defiantly more appropriate than my Arguello allusion.

I would have no idea who he is if not for a crazy Russian friend who likes to wear CCCP jersey's and has a poster of Drago

Brendan Schaub said on his podcast that TJ (talking about his sparring with Loma) isn't an unorthodox as Conor..... Obviously BS TJ is actually an unorhtodox switch hitter while Conor is boxing wise a pretty common southpaw counterpuncher with a bit of power. Tons of southpaws fight like he does.

He's like a budget version of Rigondeaux style wise.

The most similar guy Floyd has fought is Zab Judah and it isn't even THAT bad of an analogy. Judah was a lot like Conor a hands down southpaw counterpuncher with speed and power and mostly a left hand. Conor is bigger though.

Obviously Conor has a punchers chance it will amount to a similar % to how likely it was for McNeeley to knock out Tyson. Not impossible but highly unlikely.
The more realistic question is how Floyd wins. Does he simply outpoint Conor in a usual Floyd performance (would be the worst case scenario for Floyd), does he put a Gatti esque beatdown on Conor (would be ok) or does he even manage to gets his first early knockout since his pretty boy days (ideal outcome for Floyd). What the result is also depends though on how much risk Floyd wants to take to prove something being aggressive could add 0.1% to the very low possibility of Conor catching him and possibly even stopping him

Or the stupidity? He'll lose his purse, get Dq'd, suspended or possible banned, possible have a mob attack him. Even he is not that dumb.

I don't think they will worry about a mob attacking Connor the Irish in America will be backing him, they will be there in force.

I'm no expert (at all) but I see similarities with Thompson in the way he kind of hops in and out of range, seems fairly un-boxing like. Though maybe Floyd will just pick this up and catch him coming in, I dunno.

Conor doesn't really hop into range, yeah, he likes to bounce around a bit but its all for show. His footwork is primarily about cutting off the cage and forcing his opponents to the fence, at which point he counters them as they try and burst forward. Yeah, both him and Wonderboy (and Stipe) have that nifty back step counter but they go about enabling it in totally different ways.

Brendan Schaub said on his podcast that TJ (talking about his sparring with Loma) isn't an unorthodox as Conor..... Obviously BS TJ is actually an unorhtodox switch hitter while Conor is boxing wise a pretty common southpaw counterpuncher with a bit of power. Tons of southpaws fight like he does.

Brendan causes me literal pain with his analysis, it sometimes sounds like he's watching a different sport. Before their fight he claimed that Tim Kennedy was a better striker than Kelvin Gastelum, how a professional fighter could watch the two of those guys and come to that conclusion is baffling.

How will it go down? Lets talk about the technical side of this fight.

I am a fight fan. And i like cool fights that are a bit out of the norm. So i will watch this for sure. I also look forward to the videos of the training camps.

When it comes to the fight, i guess the best prediction would be floyd by dominant point victory. Or floyd knocking conor down from a rookie mistake from conor, or because conor gasses.

But who know... Right?

Either way. Fun fight.

As a southpaw fighter, i admire conor's ability to land that left hand from any position he's in without even telegraphing that punch, people just can't see it coming and that could be a serious problem for Floyd . Although he have faced multiple southpaw opponents in his professional career including Pacquiao , I just think that left will land in that fight if Floyd blinked while moving forward and this is coming from someone who sits all day watching fights and techniques.

It's a circus fight if you ask me and a black eye for boxing in general, it's a glorified WWF marketing gimmick. Honestly, I think it's a no win fight for Floyd (other than the $) and not the way i'd like to see him break Marciano's record. IMO, it puts an asterisk * next to Floyd's name in the record books which is unfortunate given the caliber of opponents he beat getting to # 50. Connor on the other hand is the real winner! He makes more $ than he ever has in a bout and nobody (with any sense) realistically gives him a chance so a loss vs the greatest boxer of this generation (arguably ever) in his first pro boxing match is hardly a "blemish" on his resume. And by freak chance he does win he'll be immortalized and even making it semi competitive for a short while will only add to his "status". In short, Floyd "loses" in this fight despite the fact he'll almost assuredly "win" and the opposite is true for Connor.

I Can't believe the odds are only at -600 for Floyd, that's "easy money". I'd give Connor even odds vs Floyd Sr in a boxing match though! well...... maybe....

LMAO at there even being a discussion regarding Connor's ability to be competitive in this match. Floyd's sparring partners would tool Connor in a boxing match. Yes, Connor is an incredibly talented MMA fighter (and i'd be saying the opposite if it were an mma bout)........ But to think he's going to be competitive against the best boxer in the world in his first pro boxing match is insanity. It'd be like putting a MLB pitcher in as QB in the NFL and expecting him to be effective in the role because he too can "throw a ball" really well. Nah!

Last edited:
I actually would give prime Floyd beating Conor in a MMA match. His stand up and defence are that great. In before low kicks... If you think Floyd cant judge distance, circle around and wait for Conor to lose balance after a missed low kick and then swarm him a quick short combo and move out unpunished, you know nothing about Floyd and his exceptional skills.

I actually would give prime Floyd beating Conor in a MMA match. His stand up and defence are that great. In before low kicks... If you think Floyd cant judge distance, circle around and wait for Conor to lose balance after a missed low kick and then swarm him a quick short combo and move out unpunished, you know nothing about Floyd and his exceptional skills.

Conor throws front kicks, not leg kicks.

Back