So Gordon Ryan is openly admitting steroid use ?

I got my blackbelt from Jon’s bjj coach. This coach once told me I’m cheating myself by not doing a cycle after getting a bronze at Pan’s. The cheating culture is deep
Did you listen if you are happy to say? Was he going to hook you up haha?

Yeah it's really unfortunate to be honest. My coach says the opposite, it's really refreshing.

I am Australian and came up with people that have trained with all these guys and have trained with quite a few at various points.

A certain Aussie champion from an org outisde the UFC popping for PEDs was definitely not a surprise considering the culture within that specific gym. Guys would train there specifically to get access.

It's just Australian humour. He is making fun of the fact JJ guys say "they are going to war" and middle aged dads(which I am one) thinking that training in spandex makes them fighters.

He is on gear like most and just being open about it. Gordon is on so much gear he is actually having negative side effects under 30 years old. People can make their own choices, but looking up to these guys for anything but technique instruction is stupid.

Awww shit.

And I was hoping to listen to Kyrie Irving's nuanced take on how to solve the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia.

Awww shit.

And I was hoping to listen to Kyrie Irving's nuanced take on how to solve the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia.
If people take life advice from these guys and especially their PED advice, they kinda deserve it to be honest. Craig openly says he tells people stupid shit to see if they will do it on nearly every podcast. His last one was an interview with a lady boy in bed for gods sake.

If people take life advice from these guys and especially their PED advice, they kinda deserve it to be honest. Craig openly says he tells people stupid shit to see if they will do it on nearly every podcast. His last one was an interview with a lady boy in bed for gods sake.

Craig: So this is what I've learned about how to beat up and humiliate autistic guys at the gym.

The internet: they have Asperger's syndrome! They're not autistic! How can you say that? You're a role model!

Craig: 90% of the gym is on the spectrum. If you're any good at jiu jitsu, you've been bullying autistic guys for years.

Last edited:
Craig: So this is what I've learned about how to beat up and humiliate autistic guys at the gym.

The internet: they have Asperger's syndrome! They're not autistic! How can you say that? You're a role model!

Craig: 90% of the gym is on spectrum. If you're any good at jiu jitsu, you've been bullying autistic guys for years.

Ice baths and sauna, stay hard, carry the boats because I am a shark and the mat is my ocean...
All whilst wearing a hello kitty rash guard and getting upset because your training partner reaps your knee...

I love JJ but the sport is full of some of the stupidest people in the world. Only sport with more losers was prime crossfit back in the day. Imagine choosing to be the best at exercising and magically losing the ability to wear a shirt.

Ice baths and sauna, stay hard, carry the boats because I am a shark and the mat is my ocean...
All whilst wearing a hello kitty rash guard and getting upset because your training partner reaps your knee...

I love JJ but the sport is full of some of the stupidest people in the world. Only sport with more losers was prime crossfit back in the day. Imagine choosing to be the best at exercising and magically losing the ability to wear a shirt.

Honestly I've found every niche sport to be full of maniacs.

Pro climbers and kayakers can be absolutely nuts.

It could be worse. He could be saying it's acai and jesus getting him by whilst getting his gear from the internet.

I am the first one to think PED use is stupid, hell I even think the sudden explosion of TRT being pushed on every aging male is too much personally, but atleast he is pushing an actual company that will help you manage PED use correctly.

I struggle to believe that nearly every male over the age of 30 needs TRT because they had low T levels on that test day and couldn't just make some lifestyle changes in most cases. If people want to be convinced of that, I would rather them actually get it from a reputable source.
I don’t really agree with the first part honestly, just because most teenagers are dumb enough to believe that is all they are on, but I do see where you’re coming from. Agreed with the trt though, although I would be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted at age 32

Did you listen if you are happy to say? Was he going to hook you up haha?

Yeah it's really unfortunate to be honest. My coach says the opposite, it's really refreshing.

I am Australian and came up with people that have trained with all these guys and have trained with quite a few at various points.

A certain Aussie champion from an org outisde the UFC popping for PEDs was definitely not a surprise considering the culture within that specific gym. Guys would train there specifically to get access.
Nope never did any probably why I never could win the big ones lol

TBF I look at Crossfit as I do the Livestrong Foundation. They may have been founded by assholes but those organizations have gotten a lot of people into a fitness lifestyle for the first time. Of course there are hipster d-bags out there (just like in BJJ) but it's hard to hate on something that gets folks off the couch and living healthier lives.

The real payoff of any sport comes if you can continue to train it past your athletic prime into middle age and beyond. And the best workout is the one you actually do, whatever that is.

Last edited:
I don’t really agree with the first part honestly, just because most teenagers are dumb enough to believe that is all they are on, but I do see where you’re coming from. Agreed with the trt though, although I would be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted at age 32

I am really against the current pushing of TRT as some super safe alternative to PEDS. It's been around for less than 100 years and anything you effectively have to take for life isn't really something I would consider a good medication. If you were required to take antibiotics forever to keep an infection clear, we wouldn't really consider it a successful treatment IMO.

I could literally just go into the docs after a 2-3 day bender and have myself prescribed TRT. No sleep, some alcohol and multiple training sessions daily would have me having the T levels to be prescribed a decent dose.

DOn't get me wrong I would rather no PED use in the sport especially at ADCC, but I am not going to criticize the only guy being honest about it and actually provide a legit source for people to make that poor choice.

TBF I look at Crossfit the same as I look at the Livestrong Foundation. They may have been founded by assholes but those organizations have gotten a lot of people into a fitness lifestyle for the first time. Of course there are hipster d-bags out there (just like in BJJ) but it's hard to hate on something that gets folks off the couch and living healthier lives.

The real payoff of any sport comes if you can continue to train it past your athletic prime into middle age and beyond. And the best workout is the one you actually do, whatever that is.
I just said it was full of losers who chose to be the best at exercising and training with no shirt on. Crossfit itself is a great idea as a training system with some minor tweaks. Group based functional training with olympic lifts, rope climbs and multi modal conditioning. It's just strength and conditioning in short intense circuits, all it's missing is progressive overload and periodization, which was added by all the coaches.

ANything to do with the games is where it goes bad. Have you seen it recently? They tried to take a fringe sport like cyclocross and added running and hurdles to it. THey made commuting to work on the back roads an event to get a bike sponsorship. Why do athletes need to compete shirtless or semi clothed?

I just said it was full of losers who chose to be the best at exercising and training with no shirt on. Crossfit itself is a great idea as a training system with some minor tweaks. Group based functional training with olympic lifts, rope climbs and multi modal conditioning. It's just strength and conditioning in short intense circuits, all it's missing is progressive overload and periodization, which was added by all the coaches.

ANything to do with the games is where it goes bad. Have you seen it recently? They tried to take a fringe sport like cyclocross and added running and hurdles to it. THey made commuting to work on the back roads an event to get a bike sponsorship. Why do athletes need to compete shirtless or semi clothed?

Lol. I guess it depends on the gym. I'm not a crossfitter but I've done the WOD at two different gyms (just to try it) and we used to have one next to the BJJ gym I train at and I could see the workouts they were doing from the open bay door. It was mostly regular people just trying to get into shape with no hard feelings. There was one guy with a d-bag vibe who kept looking over at me and clearly sandbagging on 3 of the 4 circuit events so he'd have enough in the tank to beat me on the last leg of the WOD run event (he didn't) and he was visibly upset about that. But there are d-bags in every sport because some folks are just like that.

Hating on crossfitters because they want to be the "best at working out" is misguided. Getting a workout is the main benefit of any sport. Throwing and catching a ball or hitting a piece of plastic into a net has zero carryover to daily life other than the fitness benefits. Yes the modern crossfit games look kind of hilarious but if you can walk on your hands and do all that shit, you're in pretty great shape. Modern gymnastics started out as fitness exercises for soldiers during peacetime and no one claims it isn't a legitimate sport.

Last edited:
Lol. I guess it depends on the gym. I'm not a crossfitter but I've done the WOD at two different gyms (just to try it) and we used to have one next to the BJJ gym I train at and I could see the workouts they were doing from the open bay door. It was mostly regular people just trying to get into shape with no hard feelings. There was one guy with a d-bag vibe who kept looking over at me and clearly sandbagging on 3 of the 4 circuit events so he'd have enough in the tank to beat me on the last leg of the WOD run event (he didn't) and he was visibly upset about that. But there are d-bags in every sport because some folks are just like that.

Hating on crossfitters because they want to be the "best at working out" is misguided. Getting a workout is the main benefit of any sport. Throwing and catching a ball or hitting a piece of plastic into a net has zero carryover to daily life other than the fitness benefits. Yes the modern crossfit games look kind of hilarious but if you can walk on your hands and do all that shit, you're in pretty great shape. Modern gymnastics started out as fitness exercises for soldiers during peacetime and no one claims it isn't a legitimate sport.

Haha I get what you mean but I am talking about a specific subset of people within that community and that's why I said prime crossfit.We are talking between 5-10 years ago now.

Prime crossfit is well and truly gone, I rarely see that sort of person in crossfit gyms anymore to be honest. THose people have gone into bodybuilding with the easy accessibility of PEDS and it becoming a career pathway in terms of Instagram influencing.

A lot of those guys have also probably come across to BJJ to be honest thanks to Rogan and other social media influencers. Luckily BJJ kinda has that stop gap of live rolling and it's hard to get past that first 6 months for most people. I am noticing a major drop off these days where I train and these guys are getting filtered out really quick with very limited mat enforcement. Just the focus on the technical aspect and getting beaten up by LW killers is enough these days where I am.

I am really against the current pushing of TRT as some super safe alternative to PEDS. It's been around for less than 100 years and anything you effectively have to take for life isn't really something I would consider a good medication. If you were required to take antibiotics forever to keep an infection clear, we wouldn't really consider it a successful treatment IMO.

I could literally just go into the docs after a 2-3 day bender and have myself prescribed TRT. No sleep, some alcohol and multiple training sessions daily would have me having the T levels to be prescribed a decent dose.

DOn't get me wrong I would rather no PED use in the sport especially at ADCC, but I am not going to criticize the only guy being honest about it and actually provide a legit source for people to make that poor choice.
Agreed, but that same logic lifetime use also applies to my thyroid medication that I take daily. People seem less afraid of taking a t4 bio identical hormone compared to bio identical test. The current t4 mono therapy for hypothyroidism has only been around since I think the 60s or 70s, before that they used dedicated thyroid from pigs. I think that’s why I’m warmer to the trt idea, since I already take a hormone daily and it has barely any affect either positive or negative to me.

The problem with test I think is that it’s effects are much more profound, making it more desirable to those who might not actually need it, and it affects fertility unlike a t4 med.

Agreed, but that same logic lifetime use also applies to my thyroid medication that I take daily. People seem less afraid of taking a t4 bio identical hormone compared to bio identical test. The current t4 mono therapy for hypothyroidism has only been around since I think the 60s or 70s, before that they used dedicated thyroid from pigs. I think that’s why I’m warmer to the trt idea, since I already take a hormone daily and it has barely any affect either positive or negative to me.

The problem with test I think is that it’s effects are much more profound, making it more desirable to those who might not actually need it, and it affects fertility unlike a t4 med.
That's completely fair but I would argue that having lower than average test is less debilitating (for most) than something like thyroid issues or even type 1 diabetes. In terms of low test my first point of call would be to make some lifestyle changes in terms of diet, sleep and training habits for a good 12 months before jumping on TRT, but most skip that part for the easy fix. Everyone I know (anecdotal evidence) is a handful on the mats, but is constantly getting injured by being older and rolling like a 20 year old.

There is a difference between someone who can't manage day to day life without a medication vs someone who wants to continue to compete in a sport past a certain age and be their best athletically.

I use Gordon as a perfect example. I am reasonably confident that if he took a year off PEDS and focused on recovering he would be much healthier and be able to resolve a heap of issues. He created super bacteria from over use of antibiotics and then tried to over compensate with excessive use of PEDs whilst training everyday and adding bodybuilder type training on top of everything. He has basically cooked his body before 30 but become the greatest no gi grappler.

That's completely fair but I would argue that having lower than average test is less debilitating (for most) than something like thyroid issues or even type 1 diabetes. In terms of low test my first point of call would be to make some lifestyle changes in terms of diet, sleep and training habits for a good 12 months before jumping on TRT, but most skip that part for the easy fix. Everyone I know (anecdotal evidence) is a handful on the mats, but is constantly getting injured by being older and rolling like a 20 year old.

There is a difference between someone who can't manage day to day life without a medication vs someone who wants to continue to compete in a sport past a certain age and be their best athletically.

I use Gordon as a perfect example. I am reasonably confident that if he took a year off PEDS and focused on recovering he would be much healthier and be able to resolve a heap of issues. He created super bacteria from over use of antibiotics and then tried to over compensate with excessive use of PEDs whilst training everyday and adding bodybuilder type training on top of everything. He has basically cooked his body before 30 but become the greatest no gi grappler.
My only disagreement is that low t is less debilitating for most than an under active thyroid. Only because I see so many people talk about how trt changed their lives, where most thyroid hormone recipients will say they don’t notice much of a difference. But now that you say it, I think the biggest problem with trt, and now see it’s the point I think you’ve been making the whole time, is that for at least some portion of the population is treatable without replacement therapy. That makes sense and is a big problem with the abundance of docs giving it out. And definitely agreed with Gordon, the guy essentially sacrificed his life to be the best at no gi. It’s really a sad thing to see

My only disagreement is that low t is less debilitating for most than an under active thyroid. Only because I see so many people talk about how trt changed their lives, where most thyroid hormone recipients will say they don’t notice much of a difference. But now that you say it, I think the biggest problem with trt, and now see it’s the point I think you’ve been making the whole time, is that for at least some portion of the population is treatable without replacement therapy. That makes sense and is a big problem with the abundance of docs giving it out. And definitely agreed with Gordon, the guy essentially sacrificed his life to be the best at no gi. It’s really a sad thing to see

Most of the people that say that are in athletic pursuits, but again that's anecdotal. If I had to quit training because I couldn't recover and then I took something that allowed me to train again and feel like a 20 year old, it would be life changing. Especially if that thing allowed me to have consistent T even when I drink too much and sleep porrly, because that's what TRT does.

The thyroid thing is a great example. It doesn't make you feel great. It allows you to function at a normal level. TRT is abused by most to effectively give themselves PED like effects. SOme people do legitimately need it, (loss of testicles due to cancer fro example) but I struggle to believe Big Johnny who squats 500lbs at 200lbs is suffering from low testosterone, whilst running an ultra marathon, training mma 5x a week and sinking 10 beers each weekend with the boys in his late 30s every week.

Lot's of steroid topics here lately on Sherdog. Makes me think it's definitely been normalised in society which is pretty crazy.

Most of the people that say that are in athletic pursuits, but again that's anecdotal. If I had to quit training because I couldn't recover and then I took something that allowed me to train again and feel like a 20 year old, it would be life changing. Especially if that thing allowed me to have consistent T even when I drink too much and sleep porrly, because that's what TRT does.

The thyroid thing is a great example. It doesn't make you feel great. It allows you to function at a normal level. TRT is abused by most to effectively give themselves PED like effects. SOme people do legitimately need it, (loss of testicles due to cancer fro example) but I struggle to believe Big Johnny who squats 500lbs at 200lbs is suffering from low testosterone, whilst running an ultra marathon, training mma 5x a week and sinking 10 beers each weekend with the boys in his late 30s every week.

Lot's of steroid topics here lately on Sherdog. Makes me think it's definitely been normalised in society which is pretty crazy.
For sure. I dabble in starting strength forms once in a while for some programming ideas and it has basically turned into a trt clinic. They have very compelling arguments, but I honestly think most of them are overtrained 40+ year olds who are pushing pr squats once twice or theee times a week.

I will say though, I am 32 now and really noticed a drop off in recovery the last two years. It’s really discouraging but that’s life I guess.

For sure. I dabble in starting strength forms once in a while for some programming ideas and it has basically turned into a trt clinic. They have very compelling arguments, but I honestly think most of them are overtrained 40+ year olds who are pushing pr squats once twice or theee times a week.

I will say though, I am 32 now and really noticed a drop off in recovery the last two years. It’s really discouraging but that’s life I guess.

Yeah when we had that Starting Strength thread I noticed the exact same thing in terms of an epidemic of people suddenly needing TRT everywhere in strength training. Who would have thought quality training advice like no cardio and eating to break plateaus would result in some poor effects later in life.

I am a similar age and I definitely don't recover as well as I used to but that's normal. It's part of getting older, I can still do everyhting I used to be able to, I just can't recover from it as easily.

Back