So from what I'm gathering on here, BJJ is useless in a street fight

Ah this again.

Look, you can osotogari someone and KO them. Or double leg, suplex, whatever. Fast and effective.

But if you've been training against other tough guys for a while, it is RIDICULOUSLY EASY to arm drag and standing RNC someone. You'll put them to sleep almost as fast as a slam KO, they won't be completely fucked up and hurt, so the chances for revenge attacks and trouble with the law go way down.

Frank Mir said when he was a bouncer arm drag to RNC was his go to. Standing guillotines are also really easy to get on guys who don't grapple, especially of you open with just a little kick in the shin or knee to distract. It's easy to get whatever guillotine or ninja choke you want on some street scrub, just sprawl, stay standing-- don't pull guard in other words.

I wonder in those early days of Gracie challenge matches where they go to dojos and challenged Judo, how different would it have been if they did it out in the street where getting thrown in the concrete head first would have played a factor.
Pull guard

I wonder in those early days of Gracie challenge matches where they go to dojos and challenged Judo, how different would it have been if they did it out in the street where getting thrown in the concrete head first would have played a factor.
They wouldve have to be thrown first, how many times did you see Gracie's getting thrown in nhb Fights? Not many if any. Just because you are facing a judoka doesn't mean he's going to throw you ass, it is not that easy to do when the other person is punching you in the face.

They wouldve have to be thrown first, how many times did you see Gracie's getting thrown in nhb Fights? Not many if any. Just because you are facing a judoka doesn't mean he's going to throw you ass, it is not that easy to do when the other person is punching you in the face.

Enough said right there

There is no such videos.

There is one video where they went to train at a judo club in the USA. Only renzo was willing to to tachiwaza randori. The rest declined and waited for the newaza randori. There were issues where they did not want to follow judo rules. The one where there is a restart when the person lifts you up from closed guard. Basically they wanted to do GJJ during a judo class. Of course, rorion spin the story around and comments on the weakness of judo. It is wrong and off poor taste.

The other 2 videos I can think off is of helio that won by cross choke and the other one where helio lose to kimura via kimura.

Oh wait, there is more with Royce losing an Japanese Olympic judoka but he claimed he never went to sleep.

Oh wait, there is more with Royce losing an Japanese Olympic judoka but he claimed he never went to sleep.
Royce kicked the shit out of Yoshida under MMA rules.

There is no such videos.

There is one video where they went to train at a judo club in the USA. Only renzo was willing to to tachiwaza randori. The rest declined and waited for the newaza randori. There were issues where they did not want to follow judo rules. The one where there is a restart when the person lifts you up from closed guard. Basically they wanted to do GJJ during a judo class. Of course, rorion spin the story around and comments on the weakness of judo. It is wrong and off poor taste.

The other 2 videos I can think off is of helio that won by cross choke and the other one where helio lose to kimura via kimura.

Not true, rickso went with the instructor, formar olympian IIRC, and beat him, he got thrown I think a couple of times, but subbed him also. Royler went full on with one of the students too..

Not true, rickso went with the instructor, formar olympian IIRC, and beat him, he got thrown I think a couple of times, but subbed him also. Royler went full on with one of the students too..
No such proof....If there was the Gracie's would have plastered it everywhere.

No double standard of calling out other MA for not having proof and then expect to claim shit without it.

All anyone has to do is scroll back in this forum to Travis Stevens down in TX throwing BJJ guys @ will.

Standing, Judo vs BJJ?

BJJ is toast!

It's great for self defense. One of (if not thee) premier ground art. I can't think of another grappling art that does as much training of their back as BJJ. Ideally, you don't want to be there, that's why sweeps and escapes are so important. Combine your BJJ with wrestling or Judo for takedowns and opponent control (some gyms already do this.) Be sure to train applicably to what you want to accomplish, so If you're training for self defense, then one of the biggest things you SHOULD train (and most gyms don't.) is how to establish a clinch position on someone who is striking/ how to defend against strikes while on the ground. So yea, BJJ works. You yourself have to do your homework and think about how to use it.....but all the tools are there. my opinion anyways.

No double standard of calling out other MA for not having proof and then expect to claim shit without it.

All anyone has to do is scroll back in this forum to Travis Stevens down in TX throwing BJJ guys @ will.

Standing, Judo vs BJJ?

BJJ is toast!

He didn't toss rodolfo

Haven't been in this forum long but from what I gather, the general consensus is that BJJ is useless in a street fight / self defense and that judo is the preffered real life applicable art.

Should I compliment my BJJ with Judo classes then? I want to be able to defend myself well.

I took boxing for a year back in 2011 so have SOME fundamentals of striking...
BJJ like almost any sport gives you strength and endurance. It also give you confidence and courage needed for a fight. So, however it is taught it is not useless.

Judo is great for self defense, and cheaper, too. However, for the real self defense you'd need a lawyer.

Standing, Judo vs BJJ?

BJJ is toast!

No such proof???

I wouldnt berimbolo or X guard in a street fight, but there are plenty of chokes, takedowns, wrist, arm, shoulder and ankle locks that would be very effective and dont require going to the ground necessarily.

Hell, some gi chokes can be done with a t shirt or long sleeve... I Ezekiel choked someone at work with my hoodie to "show them something cool".

No such proof???

Duh, of course they're going to be better at NeWaza cause that's all they do. The TachiWaza was embarrassing and they didn't land a single throw for the painful 13 min I watched. Yeah, I guess dragging dudes to the ground works, but anyone can do that.

If that's the "proof" of the Gracie's dominating Judoka than it took from 4:00 to 8:15 or so without them getting anything till the UchiMata throw against them.

Plus that was 30 years ago, LOL!

Lets look at something like in this millennia!

Most fights are won before the physical aspect even comes into play. Say what you want about sport bjj , but those guys are the most likely to be able to defend themselves in a self defense situation. You get a lotta suckas in here who hate, but is what it is.

but what do you do if while sinking that choke on the ground his buddy rushes in and starts stomping your head? its useful, but in a combat situation unless i can guarantee that no one will intervene ill take my chances using my jiu jitsu to get to my feet and then focus on controlling distance.

its the inability to control outside factors that makes BJJ a scary tactic to employ in a street fight situation. even in a mount you can take a kick to the dome or even worse.
The issue with this school of thought is that most people aren't going to be much better off on their feet against multiple assailants.

Duh, of course they're going to be better at NeWaza cause that's all they do. The TachiWaza was embarrassing and they didn't land a single throw for the painful 13 min I watched. Yeah, I guess dragging dudes to the ground works, but anyone can do that.

If that's the "proof" of the Gracie's dominating Judoka than it took from 4:00 to 8:15 or so without them getting anything till the UchiMata throw against them.

Plus that was 30 years ago, LOL!

Lets look at something like in this millennia!

And what exactos has changed in 30 years? Travis Stevens is a hell of a grappler and a Bjj black belt so what the fuck is your point?

To honest, it is possible as I can't recall the whole video.
I am sure someone can post but my point stands.
It was poor taste the way rorion narrated and spin the story.
But I am bias because I teach Bjj in a judo dojo and many of students and friends and judo bb.
They only know how to spar under their rules to wait for the restart.

Last edited:
but what do you do if while sinking that choke on the ground his buddy rushes in and starts stomping your head? its useful, but in a combat situation unless i can guarantee that no one will intervene ill take my chances using my jiu jitsu to get to my feet and then focus on controlling distance.

its the inability to control outside factors that makes BJJ a scary tactic to employ in a street fight situation. even in a mount you can take a kick to the dome or even worse.

Maybe, but one of the worst KO's i've ever seen was a guy that got cold clocked at a club by a guys friend from the side while standing.

Do I think going to the ground should be what you do in a lot of street fight situations? No, staying standing would probably be better in most social situations, but honestly if you're brawling with someone in a club or with a group of people and his friends there, if they were gonna stomp you on the ground, then they the type that were probably gonna hit you when you weren't looking and stomp you on the ground anyway. Don't think because they have a few youtube videos where someone punches a few guys and looks like a hero thats the norm. For ever time some guy knocks down three guys, there probably 1000s and 1000s where the 3 guys beat the fuck out of him.

Also, if you're an adult and you're getting in fights its probably in more isolated environments than when you were young and at clubs and parties. The last few fights i've seen were with friends and one was in traffic and one was at a house with only a few people and both ended up with them rolling around, no one was stomping heads or shit.

All in all bjj is great for self defense, all styles have their limitations which is the beauty of mma and knowing all the phases of fighting. Boxing is great, but what if the guy wrestled in college or played football and the first thing they do is takedown or tackle you? Got to learn it all.

Back