So from what I'm gathering on here, BJJ is useless in a street fight

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Haven't been in this forum long but from what I gather, the general consensus is that BJJ is useless in a street fight / self defense and that judo is the preffered real life applicable art.

Should I compliment my BJJ with Judo classes then? I want to be able to defend myself well.

I took boxing for a year back in 2011 so have SOME fundamentals of striking...

I think the words "useless" and "consensus" might be an overstatement. If your goal is to defend yourself your best bet is a firearm.

I think the words "useless" and "consensus" might be an overstatement. If your goal is to defend yourself your best bet is a firearm.

Well I live in southern California so best I can conceal carry and use in defense situation is a straw

Best practice for self defense is good judgement. Second best is running. Now if you want to learn how to FIGHT... BJJ is great for that.

Every martial art is useful in a street fight if you know how to use it effectively, and you know your own limitations.

BJJ guys are masters of self-loathing. Jiu-Jitsu still works OP, don't fret. More training/styles is almost always a good thing though.

This is fighting.

Everything else is ether getting targeted by professionals and you won't see it coming or glorified "at will" school yard scuffles.

You need to ask yourself if rolling around on the ground would be helpful in that environment.

Most 'street fights' are in fact social combat, to bond, settle differences, establish hierarchies, and other male stuff that's absolutely vital to the function of societies and civilization in general (you think im joking huh?).

Given such cases, training for mutual combat is perfectly appropriate for Real Life(tm).

Last edited:
BJJ guys are masters of self-loathing. Jiu-Jitsu still works OP, don't fret. More training/styles is almost always a good thing though.

Its not really so much self loathing as wondering if all that time and effort and money will give you what's advertised: real life self defense.

$150 a month is expensive for me with a wife and two kids.....

Its not really so much self loathing as wondering if all that time and effort and money will give you what's advertised: real life self defense.

Si básically your thinking that learning to control someone in the ground and choke the shit out of them are not useful in streets fights?

Join a Gracie jiu jitsu gym, they teach you how to deal with punches and you won't learn any gay ass upside down guard crap.

I think this forum is great but I've noticed this too a bit. Some people are acting like they would have a long 5 minute round roll with someone in a street fight or something when in reality if you're fighting a guy with basically no experience then it shouldn't be too difficult to get a takedown then his back and choke him or something like that.

Now if the guy is WAY bigger then idk what to tell you because in that situation it's better to just GTFO or go for the overhand right of a lifetime

It's not, and if you actually believe that it's "useless" then you've probably never been in a street fight in your life. Sorry.

I have not been in many, but I'd feel fucking terrified without it if I had no grappling training whatsoever.
This depends entirely on the specific training as well as your approach/mentality during said training. Someone who feels ok with just literally laying on their back for 3 minutes with minimal posture control is most likely going to get fucked up. Someone who feels ok with making something happen in 10 seconds or less most likely isn't. The important thing is to prioritize speed and explosiveness over anything, even proper technique - i.e. it doesn't really matter how cleanly you lock up a guillotine as long as you DO SO IMMEDIATELY, with as much aggression as possible. In a street fight, whoever acts first has the advantage.
but what do you do if while sinking that choke on the ground his buddy rushes in and starts stomping your head? its useful, but in a combat situation unless i can guarantee that no one will intervene ill take my chances using my jiu jitsu to get to my feet and then focus on controlling distance.
if you're trying to choke someone out on the ground with more than one combatant in play, your problem is the fact that you are trying to do that, not jiu jitsu.

Last edited:
I think this forum is great but I've noticed this too a bit. Some people are acting like they would have a long 5 minute round roll with someone in a street fight or something when in reality if you're fighting a guy with basically no experience then it shouldn't be too difficult to get a takedown then his back and choke him or something like that.

Now if the guy is WAY bigger then idk what to tell you because in that situation it's better to just GTFO or go for the overhand right of a lifetime

but what do you do if while sinking that choke on the ground his buddy rushes in and starts stomping your head? its useful, but in a combat situation unless i can guarantee that no one will intervene ill take my chances using my jiu jitsu to get to my feet and then focus on controlling distance.

its the inability to control outside factors that makes BJJ a scary tactic to employ in a street fight situation. even in a mount you can take a kick to the dome or even worse.

• It certainly is not useless, any martial art where you have live training against a resisting opponent is good for self defense, BJJ would definitely apply.

Does a Gracie barra count?

Check out Rener and ryron Gracie on YouTube. They're the style of bjj you're looking for. Either that or find a bjj gym that has a strong mma program, like renzo Gracie acadamy for example.

its the inability to control outside factors that makes BJJ a scary tactic to employ in a street fight situation. even in a mount you can take a kick to the dome or even worse.

Yeah I'm not saying my scenario is the end all but it is just a quick example. If he has friends around him and you don't then tbh I don't know if any martial art is really going to save your ass unless you KO everyone with swiftness. I figure TS was talking about a 1v1 scenario

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back