So from what I'm gathering on here, BJJ is useless in a street fight

And what exactos has changed in 30 years? Travis Stevens is a hell of a grappler and a Bjj black belt so what the fuck is your point?
"And what exactos has changed in 30 years?"

Boy that's rich!

Everyone worth their salt trains TDD so 99% of the time BJJ can't even utilize its effectiveness?

....Aaannd 30 years ago in its hayday, it still takes BJJ 4 min to take anyone competent to the ground, rendering it noneffective 90% of the time, LOL!

Did u notice Stevens is NOT doing NeWaza so WTF does him having BJJ rank have to do with anything?

It's OK man, I get that U r afraid out in the real world it isn't going to work 4 U unless it's a glorified school yard scuffle.

"And what exactos has changed in 30 years?"

Boy that's rich!

Everyone worth their salt trains TDD so 99% of the time BJJ can't even utilize its effectiveness?

....Aaannd 30 years ago in its hayday, it still takes BJJ 4 min to take anyone competent to the ground, rendering it noneffective 90% of the time, LOL!

Did u notice Stevens is NOT doing NeWaza so WTF does him having BJJ rank have to do with anything?

It's OK man, I get that U r afraid out in the real world it isn't going to work 4 U unless it's a glorified school yard scuffle.

im not afraid of jack shit lmfo... its your insecurities towards your sport what makes you say stupid shit over and over again.

posting some hooligans bralw like a proof of sd? nothing is going to save your ass in a brawl like that, size and muscles are much better to have than any grappling art, its a fucking brawl.

im not afraid of jack shit lmfo... its your insecurities towards your sport what makes you say stupid shit over and over again.

posting some hooligans bralw like a proof of sd? nothing is going to save your ass in a brawl like that, size and muscles are much better to have than any grappling art, its a fucking brawl.
Now U change the subject, LOL!

How would U b "effective" in that real world environment with BJJ? Bricks, rocks and broken bottles and windows everywhere? With people running around U? U would b useless. Sry 2 point out the obvious 2 U!

Right?

Travis tosses those guys around almost at will and uses zero NeWaza only standing Judo TachiWaza.

Every well rounded MA drills TDD now so whatever the Gracie's put out last century is null and void. It's like using Rex Kwon Do to argue BJJ's mythical "effectiveness".

I know U r not afraid cause U work LEO, active military, prison, shelter or ZD 20 club security.....Right?

Chuckle, chuckle.....

Any Randori or full contact MA effective in the kind of environment U face in the real world were 2 thirds of the confrontation is from standing will be better than 90% training on the ground where U end up when U've f@*ked up.

To honest, it is possible as I can't recall the whole video.
I am sure someone can post but my point stands.
It was poor taste the way rorion narrated and spin the story.
But I am bias because I teach Bjj in a judo dojo and many of students and friends and judo bb.
They only know how to spar under their rules to wait for the restart.

you dont need to recall the vid, I just posted for you.
Now U change the subject, LOL!

How would U b "effective" in that real world environment with BJJ? Bricks, rocks and broken bottles and windows everywhere? With people running around U? U would b useless. Sry 2 point out the obvious 2 U!

Right?

Travis tosses those guys around almost at will and uses zero NeWaza only standing Judo TachiWaza.

Every well rounded MA drills TDD now so whatever the Gracie's put out last century is null and void. It's like using Rex Kwon Do to argue BJJ's mythical "effectiveness".

I know U r not afraid cause U work LEO, active military, prison, shelter or ZD 20 club security.....Right?

Chuckle, chuckle.....

Any Randori or full contact MA effective in the kind of environment U face in the real world were 2 thirds of the confrontation is from standing will be better than 90% training on the ground where U end up when U've f@*ked up.

Dude you only Need a couple of brain cells to know that you don't go to the ground in a brawl.

Travis can be throwing people left and right in a gym, in a brawl? Yeah fucking right... Remember Olympic rio judoka who got beat the fuck up by the hotel receptionist?

The issue with this school of thought is that most people aren't going to be much better off on their feet against multiple assailants.
Thats not a point Im going to argue. There no denying that in either situation though, you are safer on your feet. On your feet you at least you have the opportunity to flee. Id love to see someone butt scoot or shrimp to safety when they decide shit has gotten to real.

Thats not a point Im going to argue. There no denying that in either situation though, you are safer on your feet. On your feet you at least you have the opportunity to flee. Id love to see someone butt scoot or shrimp to safety when they decide shit has gotten to real.
I'm not arguing that running is the best option against a group. Further, let's not pretend that one is dogmatically safer on their feet in one-on-one situations (which can seriously vary in circumstance anyway).

BJJ, in my humble opinion, is useful in a street fight not so much for the techniques the art/sport teaches as the mental toughness and controlled aggression it develops.

Training in BJJ, or any other Grappling art, is tough. You are sparring with a fully resisting opponent. You get used to a certain amount of pain and pressure, and develop the mindset of finishing the fight. During a roll or a comp, you finish it with a Sub. In the street, you may Choke the opponent out, or use techniques from other arts, such as punches or kicks. But again the mindset is the same: win. Put the other guy away.

BJJ makes other Arts, such as Kali, stronger. Someone trained in Kali and conditioned in BJJ is a formidible opponent. Kali contains some of the most brutally effective hand to hand techniques of any Martial Art: joint breaks, striking the eyes and throat etc. Of course, if one trains exclusively in Kali, it's difficult to get used to fighting against a fully resisting opponent. Unless you're training with the Dog Brothers. perhaps. But if you train in BJJ, you are used to applying techniques against someone doing their upmost to fight back. The mindset of BJJ compliments TMA where full contact sparring would be too dangerous.

Again, just my opinion.:)

BJJ, in my humble opinion, is useful in a street fight not so much for the techniques the art/sport teaches as the mental toughness and controlled aggression it develops.

Training in BJJ, or any other Grappling art, is tough. You are sparring with a fully resisting opponent. You get used to a certain amount of pain and pressure, and develop the mindset of finishing the fight. During a roll or a comp, you finish it with a Sub. In the street, you may Choke the opponent out, or use techniques from other arts, such as punches or kicks. But again the mindset is the same: win. Put the other guy away.

BJJ makes other Arts, such as Kali, stronger. Someone trained in Kali and conditioned in BJJ is a formidible opponent. Kali contains some of the most brutally effective hand to hand techniques of any Martial Art: joint breaks, striking the eyes and throat etc. Of course, if one trains exclusively in Kali, it's difficult to get used to fighting against a fully resisting opponent. Unless you're training with the Dog Brothers. perhaps. But if you train in BJJ, you are used to applying techniques against someone doing their upmost to fight back. The mindset of BJJ compliments TMA where full contact sparring would be too dangerous.

Again, just my opinion.:)
Great point!

That's the genius of Kano JuJitsu or BJJ!

And I think one of the reasons NeWaza was focused on without having to learn the complex skill of Ukemi break falls after Kano Sensei incorporated ground technique into the Kodokan.

Full resistance using techniques that won't wound or cripple participants.

Someone on another thread suggested mixing Judo/BJJ with Kyokushin.

When u add that to combat specific technique, strategy tactics and you've internalized the necessary intensity to make it effective.

Kind of a scary feeling out in the world that u have that power literally at your finger tips.

the only maneuver needed in a street fight is the german suplex

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...t-receptionist-dirk-van-tichelt-a7186426.html

What a great story. I hadn't heard. Honorable martial artists. This guy probably owns a gym.

They had a fistfight and the Judo guy was really drunk. He got "submitted" when the jiujutsu-practitioner clerk used his clenched fist to put him in a very percussive occulo-plata which gave him a black swollen eye.

No judo or BJJ was even used in that fight, according to the article it was all standing, which means that extremely drunken, exhausted-from-running judo + untrained striking tends to be at a disadvantage to untrained fisticuffs from a sober stranger.

Last edited:
The issue with this school of thought is that most people aren't going to be much better off on their feet against multiple assailants.

The issue with that marketing-pushed assumption is that it is completely wrong. Mobility is absolutely critical in a fight, even moreso when you're outnumbered.

I've been mugged on three separate occasions by two-man ambushes (one was 3 man) and the only reason I was able to foil their bullshit and keep from getting hurt or losing my wallet was due to footwork/positioning and the fact I didn't try to take it to the ground, lol.

BJJ is the wing-chun of grappling. There are parts of it which "can" work...

Last edited:
The issue with that marketing-pushed assumption is that it is completely wrong. Mobility is absolutely critical in a fight, even moreso when you're outnumbered.

I've been mugged on three separate occasions by two-man ambushes (one was 3 man) and the only reason I was able to foil their bullshit and keep from getting hurt or losing my wallet was due to footwork/positioning and the fact I didn't try to take it to the ground, lol.

You're taking what I said a bit out of context, but I would absolutely agree that selling BJJ as a miraculous self-defense is silly.

I never said somebody was better off on the ground all the time, and I certainly didn't say one was better off one the ground with multiple opponents. I wouldn't advise engaging multiple people, or a single person with a knife/gun. That's when you run if you have the option. If not, yes, having good stand-up skills is going to help you. If you have legitimate skills in some kind of striking and you understand how angles and distance, you would not qualify as "most people." Further, that's not something that your average gym-goer is going to pick up when pursuing muay thai or whatever as a hobby.

I was a Division I wrestler, I've trained in BJJ/MMA/kickboxing for eight years now after finishing college, I've worked as a doorman and a floorwalker in the club scene, and I have a little amateur MMA experience. If a single person comes at me with the fuckery, I hope he has a great sprawl. If multiple ones do, I'm running, unless that's not an option. If I have to, I'd trust myself to come out okay because I can keep distance well enough and hopefully drop one or find an escape before anything happens. I don't think I would fall into the "most people" category either though.

They had a fistfight and the Judo guy was really drunk. He got "submitted" when the jiujutsu-practitioner clerk used his clenched fist to put him in a very percussive occulo-plata which gave him a black swollen eye.

No judo or BJJ was even used in that fight, according to the article it was all standing, which means that extremely drunken, exhausted-from-running judo + untrained striking tends to be at a disadvantage to untrained fisticuffs from a sober stranger.

But but but I though if you do judo job can just go around and osoto people into obvilion...

ryan-hall-tuf-22.jpg

lol, you're fucked against more than 1 opponent unless you literally have decades of experience in striking and grappling.

Yep he used a lot of mobility in his last fight. It was key to his strategy and him not getting plastered. Not being able to be kicked while down also helped.

Is this something that is taught in BJJ? Rather, he had trained for MMA with an extremely unorthodox gameplan for a specific opponent and setting. Probably not something you'd want to follow (or be able to do) if your life or well being was threatened in a realistic scenario.

Gonna do inverted dive rolls on the pavement for 15 minutes while some guy tries to take your head off, hoping he wont take a kick at or stomp your face as it brushes his nikes? I swear some of you guys think a farfetched example undoes all reality to conform to your wishful thinking. If you have to reach this far to cling to your fantasies, you've actually made an embarrassingly strong point against your own argument.

Last edited:
Yep he used a lot of mobility in his last fight. It was key to his strategy and him not getting plastered. Not being able to be kicked while down also helped.

Is this something that is taught in BJJ? Rather, he had trained for MMA with an extremely unorthodox gameplan for a specific opponent and setting. Probably not something you'd want to follow (or be able to do) if your life or well being was threatened in a realistic scenario.

Gonna do inverted dive rolls on the pavement for 15 minutes while some guy tries to take your head off, hoping he wont take a kick at or stomp your face as it brushes his nikes? I swear some of you guys think a farfetched example undoes all reality to conform to your wishful thinking. If you have to reach this far to cling to your fantasies, you've actually made an embarrassingly strong point against your own argument.

You clearly didn't get the joke. The joke was on the term "absolutely critical", which Hall uses twice in every sentence he says in every BJJ-related DVD he has.

About the street fighting thing, I don't give a fuck. I train jiu-jitsu solely for competition, and I would smash most of these "street fighters" asses 10 times out of ten in IBJJF, ADCC, EBI or no time limit sub only rules. And I don't care about anything else.

Last edited:
Back