Should we empathize with Lamas and should he have accepted the fight?

whether the UFC pressures you to fight by declining to pay you if you don't compete.

This crowd gives Conor zero credit for taking the first Nate fight, so good luck.

I couldn't help but empathize with lamas after the vicious KO, he looked really disheartened as the fight was going on I think he quickly realized that it was going to be a long night and seemed almost disappointed that he accepted the fight. This pity I had for Lamas was heightened as I found out his father was ringside to watch the violent ending. I can't help but feel Lamas should have had the courage to turn down the fight and for that he must take some self responsibility for what happened, Emmett won fair and square. A similar situation occurred with Tim Elliot but he chose to actually decline the fight which a lot of people thought was a "pussy move", I actually respected it though. Though i feel Lamas needs to take responsibility a bigger question needs to be asked about whether the UFC pressures you to fight by declining to pay you if you don't compete. Should the UFC pay fighters if they make weight and their opponent doesn't?
Didnt read, but imo Lamas was winning easily. Other dude kept swinging from the hip, and landed. Not even a Lamas fan, but if he remained composed, he wins that easy.

This crowd gives Conor zero credit for taking the first Nate fight, so good luck.
Lol, it was taken with no belt onthe line, and at a weight Conor didn't have to cut to.

Nate and Conor are 55ers. Nate wasnt training, so was further out of shape.

I did like Conor.taking Mendez without blinking when Jose first was injured tho.

Lol, it was taken with no belt onthe line, and at a weight Conor didn't have to cut to.

Nate and Conor are 55ers. Nate wasnt training, so was further out of shape.

And Nate beat him. Guess it was a dangerous fight for Conor to take.

Didnt read, but imo Lamas was winning easily. Other dude kept swinging from the hip, and landed. Not even a Lamas fan, but if he remained composed, he wins that easy.
Disagree. Josh looked to be the better striker. Lamas was often beaten to the punch & didn't look comfortable after 1.5 mins.

Well, unless I'm mistaken, when an opponent misses weight the fighter receives 20% of the opponent's purse. That obviously shouldn't happen if they refuse to fight.

IDK how I feel about demanding his normal purse for not fighting. It isn't the UFC's fault that the guy missed weight and they do offer compensation in the form of making the opponent forfeit a portion of the purse.

The fighter shows up, makes weight, and is ready to fight. He’s earned the full amount of his “show” portion of the purse. Other fight arrives and misses weight by a huge margin, it’s not the fault of the fighter (who did what he agreed to do) that he does not have an opponent under the agreed-upon parameters for that fight.

If they decline to fight against an opponent fighting at the next weight class up, unannounced, with no prior warning, they should get their full “show” pay, because they did show and met all conditions thay were supposed to.

As the general consensus is some of these guys will be some 15/20lbs heavier than weigh in by the time they fight, I think a fighter has every right to decline a fight if an opponent misses significantly.

If it's a LB or 0.5, something tiny - fair enough, but if a fighter doesn't even attempt to make the bout weight, they're going to be significantly bigger the next day.

Just because fighter a missed weight by two lbs and fighter b makes weight doesn’t necessarily mean fighter b is bigger on fight night. It could just mean one fighter is better at weight cutting.

You don't have fight-night weights so this thread is f'd.

Because its in the contract.

C'mon man. Most turn down last minute fights and we lose the fight.

When someone takes the fight on 2 weeks notice most people understand that there's a good chance making weight will be a problem. 2.5lbs over isn't that bad. He did his best with the time given.

As the general consensus is some of these guys will be some 15/20lbs heavier than weigh in by the time they fight, I think a fighter has every right to decline a fight if an opponent misses significantly.

If it's a LB or 0.5, something tiny - fair enough, but if a fighter doesn't even attempt to make the bout weight, they're going to be significantly bigger the next day.

emmet was what, 2.5 lbs. overweight? that's not very much, and probably didn't affect the outcome of the fight. but yeah i agree, if it was a lot more weight, then declining the fight wouldn't have been a bad idea.

WTF you going on about? He could have won just as easy, these things happen in combat sports.

i agree with most of what you said but the fact emmitt was 3pounds off and not like 1 pound off makes me assume when he and lamas were in the cage he was probably like 15pounds heavier than him and he had the advantage of not having to weight-cut hard.

How the hell do you get from 2.5 pounds to 15? These guys are both able to rehydrate once they step of the weigh in scales.

He was supposed to fight Aldo, instead he fought an unranked guy who missed weight and KO'ed him in the 1st.

Yeah, I feel bad for him.

why would i sympathize with him, he's always seemed like a douche tbh.

wish conor would have gotten the chance to sleep him for that crngey ass video.

i told you guys emmett was good.

Overall, Lamas was put in a bad spot that was not his fault, though I doubt that Emmett missing weight by 2.5 lbs was the reason he got KTFO. More often than not, a bad weight cut puts a fighter at a disadvantage, and their gassing out more than cancels out any potential size advantage.

The big problem for Lamas was that he was left hanging after being booked to fight Aldo, who pulled out to fight Holloway when Frankie got injured. He probably needed the payday, so he took the fight with Emmett, though he likely had nothing else to gain even with a win.

In hindsight, he should have negotiated a payment for the UFC breaking up the Aldo bout and waited to get a fight that could lead to a title shot. It was a tough break, but it was his choice, so I cant feel any sympathy for him.

Even 2.5 lbs on short notice is unacceptable. Most of those guys are cutting too much weight as it is, and if you’ve ever cut weight, you know those last couple of pounds are the worst...those lasr 2-3 are the pounds when you’ve had 32 ounces of fluid the day prior, you’re sitting in a hot tub or a sauna, and all you want to do is fall over. You’re rubbing your lips with ice so they don’t get too chapped, and all you can think about is stepping on and off a scale, sipping some pedialyte, and maybe getting some pasta after your head fog has cleared.

Those last two pounds of cut will impact your performance even after rehydrating, but you have to have the belief that it will impact your opponent’s performance more. And then the bum doesn’t make weight? The opponent wasn’t willing to sacrifice as much as you.

Eff that. Then the UFC will pay the show money but not the win bonus if you don’t fight? You fucking won, the other guy failed to meet contractual obligations and should be disqualified from competing, and you did everything you were supposed to.

Everyone wants a better solution to stop crazy weight cuts. Here it is: you fail to make the contracted weight, you get an L on your record.

No sympathy here. Those two extra pounds aren't what got him knocked the fuck out.

Back