Should we empathize with Lamas and should he have accepted the fight?

Well, unless I'm mistaken, when an opponent misses weight the fighter receives 20% of the opponent's purse. That obviously shouldn't happen if they refuse to fight.

IDK how I feel about demanding his normal purse for not fighting. It isn't the UFC's fault that the guy missed weight and they do offer compensation in the form of making the opponent forfeit a portion of the purse.
If they refuse to fight, like Elliot did, they don't get the other guy 20% of course (the one that misses weight gets nothing then)

But fact is this 20% in Josh Emmett/Pietro Menga case is almost nothing, it's less than 10k, that's not a reason to accept the fight, the win bonus of Lamas/Elliot contract is.

I think Elliot’s opponent could not get below 131. 5 or 6 pounds at flyweight is far more significant to 2 to 3 pounds at Featherweight. I think UFC paying the show money and then rebooking Elliot within the next 2 months would be fair
That's what they're trying, but hey, 6 pounds is significant, and so is 3,5 (that's what Emmett missed for). Both are.

Really don't think a pound or two changes the fight. Consider the opponent and how they looked their last fight before and made weight and this one. Weight cutting problems are bad preparation for the fight, not like he beefed up and is so much larger he can't cut more weight. Josh Emmett fought FW end of october, 2 months later he could only do so much.
It's one thing if its Anthony Johnson fighting WW and coming in at 175lbs and another when a fighter is normal size for the division.

Over weight, short notice, stepping in to save a card...

Unfortunately in the eyes of most mma fans once you take the fight....it’s wins and losses that matter. People, especially here, DO NOT give fighters props for stepping up.

I’ll never forget my old coach talking with one of his fighters about deciding to take a short notice fight or not. His basic point was “take it only if you think it’s a great opportunity...because if you lose you’re still gonna move to the back of the line and the ufc won’t sign you because you stepped up an lost”

Anyone calling 2.5 'not much' weight to miss by has never cut weight.

Those last 2 lbs are the hardest part of the cut. It makes a huge difference in performance the day after.

If I was Lamas, I would've still taken the fight, but on the condition that Emmett cant walk into the bout over 154.

If you dont want to make the weight, you dont get to rehydrate yourself for the size advantage either. Otherwise, get your ass back in the sauna and come back in 2 hours. You're given an lb allowance for non title fights not 3.5lbs.

If a fighter misses weight the fight should be placed in the category of exhibition. Have the fight, get paid, no one loses on paper. Then force the person unable to make weight fight in the heavier weight class like Dana did to Hendricks and Gastelum. Lamas is getting long in the tooth but doesn't deserve this loss. In the meantime Josh Emmett gets to interview talking about bonus money. Fuck that! Embarrassing..

I like this exhibition idea.

Anyone calling 2.5 'not much' weight to miss by has never cut weight.

Those last 2 lbs are the hardest part of the cut. It makes a huge difference in performance the day after.

If I was Lamas, I would've still taken the fight, but on the condition that Emmett cant walk into the bout over 154.

If you dont want to make the weight, you dont get to rehydrate yourself for the size advantage either. Otherwise, get your ass back in the sauna and come back in 2 hours. You're given an lb allowance for non title fights not 3.5lbs.
Yeah I’m not sure why people are saying 2.5 lbs is no big deal. That is not even close to making an attempt.

Those last pounds take everything out of you. Maybe Lamas would still have gotten KTFO but you gotta wonder if Emmett would have came out like living death if he made weight.

How bout you don't fight with your chin out and your hands down? Maybe he didn't watch the Hardy/Condit fight.

I feel for Lamas. He seems to be headed for an also-ran /never-was /could-have-been sort of a career.

I applaud both fighters for making it happen and both sacrificed to do it.

Professional fighters making professional decisions. No sympathy for Llamas, I actually thought he was moving well but got careless. Emmett has a future but I'll hold judgement until his next fight.

If he had turned the fight down considering it was co main I think that would have been a shit thing to do over a couple of pounds. But that's within his right though the UFC would have beef. I'm sure that factors in.

The three pounds probably didnt make a difference in a striking contest that ended quickly.

Sucks for Lamas and he had three high profile fights (Penn, Zombie, amd Aldo) fall through in succession. Hope he doesnt plummet down the rankings too far and gets an okay fight next.

Do we know the weight difference on fight night? Just because you miss by three pounds doesn’t mean that is the actual difference. 3lbs could quite significant if it leads to a 5-10 lb advantage.

Back