Should we empathize with Lamas and should he have accepted the fight?

Ragnus

K-1 Heavyweight Champion
@Green
Reaction score
I couldn't help but empathize with lamas after the vicious KO, he looked really disheartened as the fight was going on I think he quickly realized that it was going to be a long night and seemed almost disappointed that he accepted the fight. This pity I had for Lamas was heightened as I found out his father was ringside to watch the violent ending. I can't help but feel Lamas should have had the courage to turn down the fight and for that he must take some self responsibility for what happened, Emmett won fair and square. A similar situation occurred with Tim Elliot but he chose to actually decline the fight which a lot of people thought was a "pussy move", I actually respected it though. Though i feel Lamas needs to take responsibility a bigger question needs to be asked about whether the UFC pressures you to fight by declining to pay you if you don't compete. Should the UFC pay fighters if they make weight and their opponent doesn't?

As the general consensus is some of these guys will be some 15/20lbs heavier than weigh in by the time they fight, I think a fighter has every right to decline a fight if an opponent misses significantly.

If it's a LB or 0.5, something tiny - fair enough, but if a fighter doesn't even attempt to make the bout weight, they're going to be significantly bigger the next day.

Well according to Sherdog, a fighter should be willing to and have to by law fight absolutely anyone at any given moment or they're ducking.

The three pounds probably didnt make a difference in a striking contest that ended quickly.

Sucks for Lamas and he had three high profile fights (Penn, Zombie, amd Aldo) fall through in succession. Hope he doesnt plummet down the rankings too far and gets an okay fight next.

The three pounds probably didnt make a difference in a striking contest that ended quickly.

Sucks for Lamas and he had three high profile fights (Penn, Zombie, amd Aldo) fall through in succession. Hope he doesnt plummet down the rankings too far and gets an okay fight next.
i agree with most of what you said but the fact emmitt was 3pounds off and not like 1 pound off makes me assume when he and lamas were in the cage he was probably like 15pounds heavier than him and he had the advantage of not having to weight-cut hard.

i agree with most of what you said but the fact emmitt was 3pounds off and not like 1 pound off makes me assume when he and lamas were in the cage he was probably like 15pounds heavier than him and he had the advantage of not having to weight-cut hard.

Well, it was a relatively short camp for Josh and his first time dropping. Yes he failed, yes it is unprofessional and he was punished (you can DAMN sure bet he would have got a POTN bonus if he won, and he did lose part of his purse). I do think he tried making it and just couldnt.

Well, it was a relatively short camp for Josh and his first time dropping. Yes he failed, yes it is unprofessional and he was punished (you can DAMN sure bet he would have got a POTN bonus if he won, and he did lose part of his purse). I do think he tried making it and just couldnt.
fair play, I can agree with all of that

I couldn't help but empathize with lamas after the vicious KO, he looked really disheartened as the fight was going on I think he quickly realized that it was going to be a long night and seemed almost disappointed that he accepted the fight. This pity I had for Lamas was heightened as I found out his father was ringside to watch the violent ending. I can't help but feel Lamas should have had the courage to turn down the fight and for that he must take some self responsibility for what happened, Emmett won fair and square. A similar situation occurred with Tim Elliot but he chose to actually decline the fight which a lot of people thought was a "pussy move", I actually respected it though. Though i feel Lamas needs to take responsibility a bigger question needs to be asked about whether the UFC pressures you to fight by declining to pay you if you don't compete. Should the UFC pay fighters if they make weight and their opponent doesn't?

no im glad he took the fight as should other fighters. fighters fight too less as it is. but ppl shouldnt care so much for a loss.

reward active fighters win or lose. punish inactive ones.

i dont respect tim, hes a gaint complainer. they do pay them just not all the extra that tim wants.

I was ok with Elliot refusing to fight, the problem was him asking to receive full money. That's absurd to me, if someone that refuses to fight a opponent that misses weight receives his full purse, how it would be fair to the ones that sitll does? Like Lamas? He took a chance and didn't worked for him, Elliot didn't, so of course Elliot shouldn't get full money.

The UFC always pays you for showing up at making weight even if ur opening doesn't...unless you're talking about the win money

The only thing I feel bad about is that Lamas's relatives in his entourage haven had to see that in person.

That would've sucked.

I want to see fights, not cancellations. That said, the UFC should smooth the way for fighters who save bouts (like Lamas) and create hurdles for the ones who put them in jeopardy (like Emmett).

Emmett should not be in title contention after that bullshit.

Well according to Sherdog, a fighter should be willing to and have to by law fight absolutely anyone at any given moment or they're ducking.
A champion should be required to fight anyone the promotion puts in front of them within 6 months or be at risk of being stripped depending on the circumstances around them not fighting. That's not unreasonable.

Anybody who doesn't have a belt can do whatever they want. IDGAF

I was ok with Elliot refusing to fight, the problem was him asking to receive full money. That's absurd to me, if someone that refuses to fight a opponent that misses weight receives his full purse, how it would be fair to the ones that sitll does? Like Lamas? He took a chance and didn't worked for him, Elliot didn't, so of course Elliot shouldn't get full money.
Well, unless I'm mistaken, when an opponent misses weight the fighter receives 20% of the opponent's purse. That obviously shouldn't happen if they refuse to fight.

IDK how I feel about demanding his normal purse for not fighting. It isn't the UFC's fault that the guy missed weight and they do offer compensation in the form of making the opponent forfeit a portion of the purse.

I want to see fights, not cancellations. That said, the UFC should smooth the way for fighters who save bouts (like Lamas) and create hurdles for the ones who put them in jeopardy (like Emmett).

Emmett should not be in title contention after that bullshit.
Didnt Emmet take the fight on short notice? Its not bs to miss weight if u take a fight on short notice imo. Mabey Emmet should have called for catch weight before accepting the fight though.

Yes, Emmett took the fight on short notice and was only off by 2.5 pounds. He probably spent most of his camp trying to cut the weight. Lamas will also be getting part of his purse.

I definitely had sympathy for him. It's a shitty spot to be put in, reasonable excuses or not.

I think Elliot’s opponent could not get below 131. 5 or 6 pounds at flyweight is far more significant to 2 to 3 pounds at Featherweight. I think UFC paying the show money and then rebooking Elliot within the next 2 months would be fair

If a fighter misses weight the fight should be placed in the category of exhibition. Have the fight, get paid, no one loses on paper. Then force the person unable to make weight fight in the heavier weight class like Dana did to Hendricks and Gastelum. Lamas is getting long in the tooth but doesn't deserve this loss. In the meantime Josh Emmett gets to interview talking about bonus money. Fuck that! Embarrassing..

Yes, Emmett took the fight on short notice and was only off by 2.5 pounds. He probably spent most of his camp trying to cut the weight. Lamas will also be getting part of his purse.

This. How can anyone be mad at the guy for not making weight. He took it on short notice and did the best he could.

Back