Should unnecessary ground and pound after KO be penalized?

Hockey used to have an enforcer role. Guys who were just paid to fight and fights were part of pretty much every game. There used to be lots more cheap shots before they put in rules like the 'Instigator penalties' which assessed additional punishment for guys who started shit.

oh I see, but it kind of goes with what i said. those rules crack down on fighting, so when the sport is basically a fist fight itself, I don't think that dog hunts

It's the refs responsibility to stop the fight

2j6455t.jpg

b44fa21267bd35e5bacd800512148e6b.gif

gomivazeredo.gif~c200
What a bad look for a sport

The "carry on until the ref stops you" should really only be applied to TKO finishes. One of the ways to end the fight is by knockout. If one of the guys is unconscious, then the fight is already finished.

If it's something super egregious like Rampage/Wand 3 then absolutely.

I think that’s one of the things ac will have to address in the future

It’s way too dangerous to have a free shot on a defenceless opponent. Somebody can easily get paralyzed/killed from those blows

You can’t blame the fighter as he’s in the heat of the moment n fights till the ref steps in

So I think the solution would have to be no head shots on the ground after a kd for a least couple of seconds so the ref has the time to assess the situation n step in n stop the fight if the fighter is out or just let them continue fighting

If the ref is the only one who can stop a fight, does that mean if the ref slips and breaks his leg, or dies, you could legally beat someone to death in the octagon?

I flip flop back and forth on this topic all the time. When I see a guy like Ngannou do it, I think it should be an issue. The moment that strike landed on Overeem, everyone knew the fight was over, but he still crushed down on him again and looked like he would have landed more if the ref didn't get there.

But I don't see a way forward if the UFC starts judging a fighter's intention in those moments. Probably never gonna be anything like penalties for follow-up damage.

If the ref is the only one who can stop a fight, does that mean if the ref slips and breaks his leg, or dies, you could legally beat someone to death in the octagon?

One of the cornerman will most likley come in n hit the other guy over the head with a steel chair

No, it should be until the ref stops you. The refs should be quicker of course, so it's more on them, but what should be illegal is shit like big john super kneeing a downed opponent in the head like he did that one time in that Colin vs Aldo fight, while Colin spammed hammer fists, and Aldo was kind of coming to again, to help make it look like the ko was more brutal then it was on camera post fight.

Refs job to jump in. If it's a blatant attack after then they should get in shit.

There are certain times when its pretty obvious tho, Hendo admitted that he threw the extra punch on KO'd Bisping to shut him up, that was poor sportsmanship, yet people praise him for it.
It was. Hendo got away with it though because of the epic ness of the gif

OP doesn't understand adrenaline.

Also, if your proposal happens you risk more fuck ups like this

giphy.gif

Well nah not really its a combat sport but also need to make sure athletes stay safe. Would rather see them safe than die in the octagon which athletes have died soooooo............

No one has died in the octagon
♂️

Correct answer! Can never understand people bashing a fighter for doing his job.
I've been in fights where I hit the guy one too many times. It's human nature to become savage when in a fight situation. It's the fighters job to finish his opponent until the ref stops the fight. Some people like Mark Hunt notice it and walk away. Can't expect that from every fighter.

Back