Should unnecessary ground and pound after KO be penalized?

if you're going to punish people for punches you deem unnecessary, then you're asking them to determine whether or not their opponent can continue.
There are certain times when its pretty obvious tho, Hendo admitted that he threw the extra punch on KO'd Bisping to shut him up, that was poor sportsmanship, yet people praise him for it.

if you're going to punish people for punches you deem unnecessary, then you're asking them to determine whether or not their opponent can continue.

This, a fighter does not determine when a fight is over.

Do we really need a Palhares/Miller situation every event?

The rules for this have been in place since the beginning: no fighting after the round/fight is over.

The question is will they start penalizing every offender.

TS, different people reacts differently on certain situations..

For certain people, it's harder to release the trigger..

Also, Mark's style just asks for a walk-away KOs, he always did it and he's a walk-away KO pro, right now..

And to witch-hunters.. Go and try to fight someone for money, then we will talk, how "humane" you looked there.. Bloody nitwits.

2j6455t.jpg

b44fa21267bd35e5bacd800512148e6b.gif

gomivazeredo.gif~c200

This is an example where this guy should have gotten anywhere from a huge fine to suspension or even a lifetime ban.

There are certain times when its pretty obvious tho, Hendo admitted that he threw the extra punch on KO'd Bisping to shut him up, that was poor sportsmanship, yet people praise him for it.

This isn't a gentleman's sport, it's a fight, so sportsmanship is irrelevant in this scenario. You can't punish people for not being nice. As long as they stop when the ref tells them, they're golden

I think the ref should definitely take a point in those cases.

Sorry TS but you are way off base.

I hate the unnecessary damage delivered to an opponent after he is out but you are off the mark in many areas.

First Mark Hunt disposition and style is one that he is always reserved during the fight. So it is much easier for him to step away than for instance guys who are in the midst of wailing away on one another in an emotional contest. You CANNOT expect every single fighter to be Mark Hunt as everyone is different.

Next is then if we are then going to demand that fighters KNOW when an opponent is done and cannot defend and therefore they must stop punching or doing damage then we must ALSO GIVE those same fighters the right to call off the fight like the ref currently has. So a fighter can say 'my opponent is done and i'm going to stop punching him right now as I AM CALLING off this fight'. If you do not give them that power and they stop based on when they think a fighter is done but that fighter wants to continue or the ref thinks they can continue that is unfair to the guy you made make that call but gave him no power to enforce it.

Its an ugly business trying to peg that stoppage right every single time and I certainly think certain fighters purposely deliver extra damage after they know the opponent is out and that is not a good thing but that power has to stay with the ref alone. He must do his job.

I think it’s because Hunt simply doesn’t want to follow up on the ground so he waits and sees if he has to
I think its more to do with his K1 backround where there is no follow up after knocking an opponent down

I thought that unnecessary GnP was beloved by one and all?

a) You fight until the ref intervenes... which was after the second shot

b) It's Hendo, who doesn't love Hendo?

c) Bisping deserved it...

On a serious note, the time between the first and second shot was literally less than a second.

I like whoever posted this gif originally actually slowed down the video to make it look more prominent.

And the ref was out of position to intervene (and it was Yamasaki so he probably would have allowed it).

Mark hunt is a prime example of how it's bullshit when fighters say that unnecessary follow up blows are unstoppable because of "fighter instinct".

giphy.gif

The follow up hammer fist spam after a clear KO always pissed me off. I'm glad to see great sportsmanship from Hunt.

In this case there is no way in hell that Hunt is going to go to the ground with Mir.

A fighter should keep fighting until the ref stops it and not a moment sooner.
i don't agree with that sentiment as an absolute.

I do think a fighter is right to keep fighting until the ref stops it but I see nothing wrong with the way Mark Hunt and many others stop themselves before the ref jumps in when they feel confident the opponent is done. if we take your statement literally Mark Hunt and other are wrong to stop fighting and they SHOULD keep pounding away whereas I think them using their discretion is fine as they know the risks of being wrong.

If anyone should be held accountable, it should be the ref.

Yeah, it would make for great fights. Good idea. That's not on referees, the fighter should be holding back and preferably if they hit very hard like Hunt or Ngannou they shouldn't hit with full force on people with bad chins. Why use unnecessary force

Hunt clearly has the classic large man’s lack of appetite for having to bend down for stuff. When I put on a few pounds I also sometimes had to weigh up whether the stuff i’d dropped on the floor was worth the effort or not.

This isn't a gentleman's sport, it's a fight, so sportsmanship is irrelevant in this scenario. You can't punish people for not being nice. As long as they stop when the ref tells them, they're golden
i don't agree with that. Remove the word gentlemen and fight and yes this is a sport and in other sports if they feel you took a 'cheap shot' at someone they can punish you in the moment or after the fact via fine or other method. I would have no issue with MMA doing the same and using a 'reasonable test' to determine. Ya it won't be perfect but its not perfect in other sports either.

But in a case where Hendo admits it or the blatant Palharas cranks after guys have clearly tapped the commissions should be able to act. No fighter wants his career diminished or ended due to unnecessary damage being taken after the fact. Not one of them wants that for themselves and they should not want to do it to others. and they need to recognize that they (the fighters) cannot always stop themselves if there is not adequate threat of punishment. We saw cheap shots in Hockey greatly cleaned up with the threat of punishment.

Back