Should unnecessary ground and pound after KO be penalized?

i don't agree with that. Remove the word gentlemen and fight and yes this is a sport and in other sports if they feel you took a 'cheap shot' at someone they can punish you in the moment or after the fact via fine or other method. I would have no issue with MMA doing the same and using a 'reasonable test' to determine. Ya it won't be perfect but its not perfect in other sports either.

But in a case where Hendo admits it or the blatant Palharas cranks after guys have clearly tapped the commissions should be able to act. No fighter wants his career diminished or ended due to unnecessary damage being taken after the fact. Not one of them wants that for themselves and they should not want to do it to others. and they need to recognize that they (the fighters) cannot always stop themselves if there is not adequate threat of punishment. We saw cheap shots in Hockey greatly cleaned up with the threat of punishment.

Hendo and Palhares are in no way comparable because Hendo stopped when the ref stepped in and Palhares did not.

I don’t believe they can realistically be penalised.

Perhaps we could just frown upon it?

It is pretty much the ref's job to stop the fight. If they continue after the ref says stop, then that is a problem

"Anything less, would be uncivilized."

No. Savages doing savage things in a savage sport. Savage shit happens. You have money on the line. You have shitty judges to worry about. Its the refs job to call the fight. now if they go beyond what the ref says, then yes. Penalize them.

You can assault until referee stoppage.

Personally, I respect when a fighter knows it's over and stops.

Hendo and Palhares are in no way comparable because Hendo stopped when the ref stepped in and Palhares did not.
Wasn't saying they are equal offenders but they are both definitely offenders. And I say that as someone who likes Hendo and does not like Bisping, generally.

I am trying to remove myself from the individuals and personalities with regards to this topic and offer my view from a neutral vantage point.

Mark hunt is a prime example of how it's bullshit when fighters say that unnecessary follow up blows are unstoppable because of "fighter instinct".

giphy.gif

The follow up hammer fist spam after a clear KO always pissed me off. I'm glad to see great sportsmanship from Hunt.

I completely agree.

if guys like Hunt or Machida can stop, I don't see how others can't.

munoz+ko.gif

But then again, referees can't save fighters when they fall...
TartFarawayCranefly.gif

Mir was ready to get rape. GG Hunt for not smashing him more.

Only if ref halts it first ....this is what the fighters are told so how can you penalize?

I'd like to think in obvious situations where your opponent is clearly separated from consciousness that winning fighter would just pace away (hunt, moose etc) but unfortunately there are some dark souls out there that happen to fight inside a cage

Wasn't saying they are equal offenders but they are both definitely offenders. And I say that as someone who likes Hendo and does not like Bisping, generally.

I am trying to remove myself from the individuals and personalities with regards to this topic and offer my view from a neutral vantage point.

I get that, I'm trying to do the same. My point is simply that you can't in any way demand a fighter do anything other than defend themselves and obey the refs.

Dan is not an offender because he stopped the violence once he was told to stop. If you are going to call him an offender then he has to have some say on when the fight is over

Anything that is clearly with intent after the ref steps in should be severely penalized. You can't ask the fighter to judge when the fight should be stopped. Only the ref can do that.

There are several examples of this. Going back a bit a good example is Rampage/Wandy 3. The ref was trying to shove him away but he was going to get his extra shots in.

I do consider Hunt to have pretty good sportsmanship. In addition to that I attribute his end of fight behavior to a combination of his ridiculous power and kickboxing background. In kickboxing you step away when they fall. Also, he knows when he makes that connect where his opponent is not going to continue. Someone who came up in MMA doesn't necessarily have the same instincts.

Back