Should Ngannou just stick to boxing till he retires?

Should Ngannou just stick to boxing till he retires?

• Total voters
Guys, he's under contract to PFL. How can you vote for something completely unrealistic?
The PFL is going to get something out of him. 1-2 PPVs a year. He can squeeze in a boxing match.
The thing is, his PFL opponents will be so bad, he won't have to train his wrestling, kicking that much. I mean no one is going to last a round.

He's got an exclusive MMA contract with them. I don't think they can do anything if he retires from MMA and decides to box instead.

He's got an exclusive MMA contract with them. I don't think they can do anything if he retires from MMA and decides to box instead.

Interesting, didn't know about that exclusive MMA contract. That's true he can retire from MMA and just box. So that definitely is an option.

He's got at least 2 big paydays coming in boxing.

No reason to go back to mma when he can get the big money and retire before 40.

Only if he wins the title rematch vs Fury then he should get the PFL title and then retire on top of the game.

Best play financially but is really risky. Joshua or Wilder won't show up not being able to run a lap and in terrible shape. But if he takes either one of those and does well at all (or even wins) he is gonna be in that 20+ million a fight category. This fight catapulted him overnight. He could get clipped in 2 rounds next time out in the ring and it would really devalue his stock but he would be set for life. I'd love to see an easier boxing fight win and then try to leverage it to fight Jones.

Best play financially but is really risky. Joshua or Wilder won't show up not being able to run a lap and in terrible shape. But if he takes either one of those and does well at all (or even wins) he is gonna be in that 20+ million a fight category. This fight catapulted him overnight. He could get clipped in 2 rounds next time out in the ring and it would really devalue his stock but he would be set for life. I'd love to see an easier boxing fight win and then try to leverage it to fight Jones.

Hmm... very interesting take, thanks.

PFL should capitalize on the boxing and just take a cut of the purse.

just too much risk it letting him fight a can and getting a freak injury at this point

It doesn't make sense to interrupt his boxing training with MMA camps/fights until the boxing money dries out.

Unless PFL offers to pay him even more money.
Exactly. I confess I doubted Ngannou's business acumen. But no longer.

I actually think he has a very good chance vs Wilder and may even one sided with the right gameplan. Nnganou made a huge leap in his technique for this match(Is he just a freakishly fast learner when it comes to fighting? improved massively in his grappling too when against stipe) and Wilder's kryptonite against Fury was he got bullied hard and couldn't handle getting weighed down on.

Fury had trouble with Francis's physicality and clinch ability. Wilder would have a even harder time vs Nnganou if he enacts the same gameplan that Fury did vs Wilder.

I didn't watch the fight but I'm sure if there is another highly ranked boxer than is determined to take him out they'd be able to. The impression I get is that Fury wasn't fully worried much like Mayweather and Conor. Get a good boxer who says "nah fuck that" to making it a show and that might be the person who is set on getting a finish.

It depends, but i still want so see him smoking fools in MMA, having said that, to make a career in boxing, even if just a few fights, he needs to win fights, who is next for him? AJ, Wilder? Ruiz Jr, Ortiz? It has to be a known name so there is money behind it, but he needs to win and prove that he is 2nd best to Fury only.

It depends, but i still want so see him smoking fools in MMA, having said that, to make a career in boxing, even if just a few fights, he needs to win fights, who is next for him? AJ, Wilder? Ruiz JR, Ortiz? It has to be a known name so there is money behind it, but he needs to win and prove that he is 2nd best to Fury only.

I guess someone in the top 5 or even in the top 10 would suffice for me.

I think Ngannou should stick to boxing. Punches with the larger gloves seem to have zero effect on him. He carries a LOT of muscle and when pressed by great wrestlers and BJJ guys. I can see him gassing and dropping decisions if he doesn’t land a KO punch.

He's going to do one fight with PFL against some unknown Russian can just to spite Dana. Than he's going to do two more freakshow boxing fights and than ride off to the sunset.

If there is any matchup in PFL worth close to boxing maybe, but he has a few years left, he should drill up boxing technique and close the gap the best he can until then, but if he's matched with a grappler in MMA he's wasting time on grappling training where he should be focused on boxing technique. Ngannou fumbled the bag, he did because he should've joined boxing from the start, it clearly seems like he would've been a great there.

Seems like the Fury rematch will happen after Usyk, so he should strictly train boxing for that massive payday in the meantime

Taking a PFL fight in the meantime would be a risk.

Last edited:
He has a huge name now and it’s never been bigger for him. If he was smart and his manager was smart he would stick to boxing. There is more money to be made for the big names in boxing compared to mma. And he won’t have to worry about grappling and can strictly focus on just boxing. And he competed to a thin decision with the best hw in boxing. He can certainly beat some of the top 10 guys. Can you imagine him vs joshua? Joshua is gun shy now I don’t think he would want to fight Francis at all sfter last night fight. I think the one most people would want to see is francis vs deontay wilder. It makes a lot of sense.

Many more interesting fights can be made for him in boxing than MMA. We can get a Fury rematch and if he still has momentum to see how he matches up against Ruiz, Wilder, Joshua, Zhang, Parker and Usyk

Back