Shotgun help

Is there any kind of hybrid model you would recommend for both?

I like the idea of the 2 barrels. 18.5 for home, 28 for clay targets/hunting.
A good gunsmith can add a 2-3 round tube extension to and 870 but it's kind of a pain, Remington added dimples in the tube to make it more difficult.

I can't think of one that does both without needing a tube extension for a magazine.

It's not the worst choice you could go with but just realize you are sacrificing some capacity for defense to have a dual purpose shotgun.

Is there any kind of hybrid model you would recommend for both?

I like the idea of the 2 barrels. 18.5 for home, 28 for clay targets/hunting.

The thing he mentioned is a hybrid, there's not really anything that is going to be excellent for both so switching barrels is about th best you can do. I do it.

Off the top of my head I think it's from 1948.

Check it out, some of them have some sort of strange barrel on them but apparently you can get one that can handle the steel shot pretty easily. I'd love to have a vintage a5, that old action was a tank that really eats up recoil.

A good gunsmith can add a 2-3 round tube extension to and 870 but it's kind of a pain, Remington added dimples in the tube to make it more difficult.

I can't think of one that does both without needing a tube extension for a magazine.

It's not the worst choice you could go with but just realize you are sacrificing some capacity for defense to have a dual purpose shotgun.

Can't you just buy the Remington mag tube? Or a mossberg one? I know that both companies offer a few different versions of their guns, some with a 18" barrel and 4+1 (or whatever) then a 20" version that has 6-7+1.

I think my wing master is 4 or 5.

Check it out, some of them have some sort of strange barrel on them but apparently you can get one that can handle the steel shot pretty easily. I'd love to have a vintage a5, that old action was a tank that really eats up recoil.

I really don't know shit about it to even know what I'd be looking for. Not even sure what shot is usually made of. :(

The most fun I've had with *ANY* gun in a while was taking my Benelli M2 out. Has an extended tube and a few other mods. Shotguns rock.

But for serious home defense? I'm going rifle.

So it's mostly steel now?

What can I say. Other than my Saiga I don't shoot 12 gauge and that thing takes whatever. :D

lol I don't really know, I just buy a few boxes of steel shot for the random duck or 2 I shoot.

lol I don't really know, I just buy a few boxes of steel shot for the random duck or 2 I shoot.

I bought the cheap Winchester 7.5 shot for the range and a case of this because it looked bad ass.

image.php

I bought the cheap Winchester 7.5 shot for the range and a case of this because it looked bad ass.

image.php

Yeah the only thing I've ever shot birds with (other than turkeys) is the bulk 100 pack from federal.

For more serious stuff, I just grab that military grade 00 or some sort of federal slugs. For me the shotgun is only to bag a duck or 2 here and there and shoot a big charting animal in a real pinch.

The most fun I've had with *ANY* gun in a while was taking my Benelli M2 out. Has an extended tube and a few other mods. Shotguns rock.

But for serious home defense? I'm going rifle.
I'm not a huge fan of rifle for home defense. I'm worried about the penetration through the drywall. It's outside the price range of TS, but I keep my Mossberg 930 SPX (I shoot 3-gun) for that purpose.

I'm not a huge fan of rifle for home defense. I'm worried about the penetration through the drywall. It's outside the price range of TS, but I keep my Mossberg 930 SPX (I shoot 3-gun) for that purpose.

I'm with you on that, my house is pretty much a town house so there's another one 15 feet away and on one whole side of the house, there's a home on the other side of the wall. For that reason I usually just kept a glock 17 with a +2 mag extension, night sights and a light on it. 20 rounds of Speer gold dot 124g +p on tap.

The longest shot you could take in my house is probably like 15 yards if that, probably more like 10 and the bedrooms are on the top floor so if I hear anything downstairs, I can just watch the stair case.

Probably don't need a shotgun at all for hd in my house, a rifle would be a terrible idea.

I'm with you on that, my house is pretty much a town house so there's another one 15 feet away and on one whole side of the house, there's a home on the other side of the wall. For that reason I usually just kept a glock 17 with a +2 mag extension, night sights and a light on it. 20 rounds of Speer gold dot 124g +p on tap.

The longest shot you could take in my house is probably like 15 yards if that, probably more like 10 and the bedrooms are on the top floor so if I hear anything downstairs, I can just watch the stair case.

Probably don't need a shotgun at all for hd in my house, a rifle would be a terrible idea.
Yeah, I keep my H&K USP 9mm by my bed, and my girl has S&W Ladysmith. The H&K has Hornady 115gr JHP, and the Ladysmith has Hornady 140gr FTX. I'm hoping that it never gets to the point where I'm relying on a handgun in the home.

I think the longest shot in my condo is maybe 20 yards. The hallway can see across the living room, but that shot is rarely going manifest. Like most homes, the most probable shot is about 5 yards or less.

Yeah, I keep my H&K USP 9mm by my bed, and my girl has S&W Ladysmith. The H&K has Hornady 115gr JHP, and the Ladysmith has Hornady 140gr FTX. I'm hoping that it never gets to the point where I'm relying on a handgun in the home.

I think the longest shot in my condo is maybe 20 yards. The hallway can see across the living room, but that shot is rarely going manifest. Like most homes, the most probable shot is about 5 yards or less.

Yeah inside condos I don't think you need to go overboard. I could see from the master bedroom to the top of the stairs and that would be like 2 yards, top of the stairs down to the front door, 5-6 yards, from the front door into the living room would be the longest shot and I think that would be the 10-15yard shot. It's a big room but because of the hallway you wouldn't get much of an angle on it.

While I keep the gun next to the bed, I've done a lot to make sure it never comes to That, I have the iron bars on all the lower floor Windows, and reinforced doors front and back.

Anybody trying to get in would make so much noise I'd wake up.

Yeah inside condos I don't think you need to go overboard. I could see from the master bedroom to the top of the stairs and that would be like 2 yards, top of the stairs down to the front door, 5-6 yards, from the front door into the living room would be the longest shot and I think that would be the 10-15yard shot. It's a big room but because of the hallway you wouldn't get much of an angle on it.

While I keep the gun next to the bed, I've done a lot to make sure it never comes to That, I have the iron bars on all the lower floor Windows, and reinforced doors front and back.

Anybody trying to get in would make so much noise I'd wake up.
Yeah, mine is a single level on the top floor, so all the shots are pretty straightforward. The only way in is to come through a double deadbolt door. That's not happening without some noise.

The neighborhood is quiet, so I doubt anything would ever happen. Even still, most of the homes in this area have great security systems. I can't imagine someone trying to do anything. The guns are probably just for my peace of mind, but in case I'm wrong, that's what a 12-guage is for.

Yeah, mine is a single level on the top floor, so all the shots are pretty straightforward. The only way in is to come through a double deadbolt door. That's not happening without some noise.

The neighborhood is quiet, so I doubt anything would ever happen. Even still, most of the homes in this area have great security systems. I can't imagine someone trying to do anything. The guns are probably just for my peace of mind, but in case I'm wrong, that's what a 12-guage is for.

My neighborhood isn't great but it's not bad either, it's not known for crime but because of the market collapse back in 2008, lots of the homes got sold cheap so some thug types are around the neighborhood.

I always make a point to meet and greet neighbors, help the older folks get their trash to the curb or takentheirnempty can back up to their house and let people park in my extra spots when they have friends over for games or whatever. People seem to like me in the neighborhood, plus the house is super secure...and the. I have guns inside haha.

Honestly all the cash and guns are in a really good safe, I guess they could take my laptop or my mountain bike or some mountaineering/camping gear from the garage. It's just not a great target for a quick smash and grab.

My neighborhood isn't great but it's not bad either, it's not known for crime but because of the market collapse back in 2008, lots of the homes got sold cheap so some thug types are around the neighborhood.

I always make a point to meet and greet neighbors, help the older folks get their trash to the curb or takentheirnempty can back up to their house and let people park in my extra spots when they have friends over for games or whatever. People seem to like me in the neighborhood, plus the house is super secure...and the. I have guns inside haha.

Honestly all the cash and guns are in a really good safe, I guess they could take my laptop or my mountain bike or some mountaineering/camping gear from the garage. It's just not a great target for a quick smash and grab.
Yeah, unfortunately, that happened to a lot of neighborhoods.

I like to know my neighbors as well. Everyone around here pretty much does. Everyone is pretty much on the same page. It's a really nice neighborhood.

The biggest thing you could take from me is maybe my TV or dive gear. It's not worth the effort, and it's definitely not worth your life.

Yeah, unfortunately, that happened to a lot of neighborhoods.

I like to know my neighbors as well. Everyone around here pretty much does. Everyone is pretty much on the same page. It's a really nice neighborhood.

The biggest thing you could take from me is maybe my TV or dive gear. It's not worth the effort, and it's definitely not worth your life.

Exactly, I don't really full my house with expensive stuff, I like to use my spending money to go hunting and exploring remote areas. I probably have 30-40k worth of guns but no 2 but thug is getting into my safe or getting that safe unbolted from my floor/house frame.

My mountaineering gewr is sort of old, probably pushing like 15 years now but ice axes, crampons, boots, tents don't really seem to break very often. There's some bicycles but I'm 6'4 so you'd have to be tall to ride them away. I don't even have a tv.

Back